Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 13:51   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
"Ducks in a Row" for jbpollock

JB, I encourage you to restate your question here, but I believe that the inquiry is about how a liveaboard provides for their needs to be able to "cut the cord" and remain totally free of a permanant slip. I only say "permanant slip" because I am assuming that you would not be adverse to an occasional rental of a slip in various ports.

We quit keeping a permanant slip in 2002. With the following "Ducks".

1. We arranged for a mail and residence service (our's is St, Brendans Isle) to establish a means to receive physical mail, voter's registration, passport & driver's license address, etc.

2. We purchased non-owner's liability auto insurance so that, without car ownership, we could rent a car on occasion without paying the huge fees for insurance charged by the car rental companies. We rent a car about six times a year for shore trips, family holidays, etc.

3. We maintain a variety of energry options,- diesel generator, wind generator, solar panels, engine alternator, shore power cord.....

4. We keep an adequate ground tackle system, but rely on wise choices for selecting protected anchorages.

5. We have a reliable dinghy and outboard with security chains and locks and we are avid collectors of port information that provides access to groceries, laundries, provisioning, public transportation. etc.

6. We have excellent folding bicycles which we can easily carry in our dinghy and store below on board our boat.

7. We are quick to seek out shelter three days before a tropical storm or hurricane is within striking distance.

8. We keep very few committments to be at any location at a specific time.

9. We keep our doctors, bank, dentist, veterinarian in one port that we frequent at least once a year and arrange all appointments within this window.

10. We do take a slip at times for refits and our own personal R & R. We normally do this at an economical monthy rate in a place that offers all our needs.

11. We often buy less than "top off'" amounts of diesel in order to take advantage of other amenities more frequently at a fuel dock,- water, pump out, etc.

12. We keep a low energy refrig/freezer with an air cooled Danfloss compressor.

We have lived aboard for well over forty years, but the last eleven years has been without owning anything ashore. You may determine from our list that we a coastal cruisers who often enjoy returning to the same ports. We have made more than twenty trips between New England and the Bahamas. Our needs wont suit all, but these are the "Ducks" that we put in a row.
Old 02-02-2013, 14:16   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation 35
Send a message via Skype™ to jbpollock
Re: "Ducks in a Row" for jbpollock

CaptForce,
Thanks for the detailed response. I have a lot to go over, but have already started realizing the wisdom of your #8 above. I've heard it said that sailing and schedules mix like oil and water. Once I'm on the water in earnest, I'm sure I'll be trying to run from the oil slick of scheduling...

I'm getting a trial run at this for a month or so in the San Francisco Bay and will then be dry storing the Osterkar. I'll have a go at a more extended time away from shore next year starting in November.

I have heard of a couple of kinds of health insurance available. Divers Alert Network (DAN) has some insurance that may be applicable to someone on the water. Do you have coverage and do you mind me asking what kind?

Thanks again,
Joe
jbpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:53   #3

I like the way your list lines all your Ducks up. Thanks.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:30   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

What was the question?
Old 02-02-2013, 16:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What was the question?
As stated in post 108 of the liveaboard's thread, How big or small was your fisrt liveaboard boat? What are the ducks that need to be lined up in a row in order to liveaboard without a permanent slip?
Old 02-02-2013, 16:04   #6

Quote:
What was the question?
The question was buried in this thread, post # 108
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1146531
where jbpollock asked;
Quote:
Oh, does anybody know of a thread that discusses what ducks to have in a row before cutting ties to shore?
CaptForce was nice enough to start a new thread here asking the question where it will be better seen.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:09   #7

OK, found the other thread. Sort of an odd way to start a new thread without the OP, but my basic advice is that each person's "ducks" are different depending on what they intend to do. As in other threads, I recommend that whatever your plans you maintain your financial and official life looking as much like any other schlub out there as possible. In other words, maintain a street address someplace that is the location on your driver's license, where you file taxes, where you are registered to vote, where your boat is documented or registered, etc. It makes life simpler if you don't try to always be fitting round pegs into square holes. For example, when checking into a foreign country it greases the skids if your passport matches exactly the name on the CG document, and all of your addresses match up. Keep your driver's license up to date and if necessary renew it just before you leave the USA so you get the maximum time before you need to renew again--which is hard to do if you are in Tonga.
Old 02-02-2013, 16:18   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
11. We often buy less than "top off'" amounts of diesel in order to take advantage of other amenities more frequently at a fuel dock,- water, pump out, etc.
Smart
Old 02-02-2013, 16:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, found the other thread. Sort of an odd way to start a new thread without the OP, but my basic advice is that each person's "ducks" are different depending on what they intend to do. As in other threads, I recommend that whatever your plans you maintain your financial and official life looking as much like any other schlub out there as possible. In other words, maintain a street address someplace that is the location on your driver's license, where you file taxes, where you are registered to vote, where your boat is documented or registered, etc. It makes life simpler if you don't try to always be fitting round pegs into square holes....................................
Agreed, I could have been more clear with the thread transition.

Your added and valid point is why it's good to pick a service that provides residence as well as a personal mail box. My St. Brendans resident address is on my IRS papers, passports, voter's registration, driver's license............. everything. This has been my single address for more than a decade.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29   #10

Great summary, Capt Force. Have you tried to open a bank acct using your St Brendan's address since 9/11? We had problems about 4 years ago; had to use our marina slip lease to get into the system, then change it, as the computer flagged St B as a commercial address. Could have just been that bank, PNC, which otherwise has been excellent. For the OP: this may mean you need to make sure to open any bank accounts while you still have a conventional address, before you cut the ties.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:32   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

CaptForce -- excellent list. I'm curious about your #9 -- which port did you choose for all those services?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39   #12

I should add that I have found it is very helpful having someone back "at home" who has power of attorney or at least can co-sign on your bank accounts, etc. For me that has always been a trusted relative. Things pop up that require the shifting of funds, or the payment of some bill that can only be done via check and you are someplace with no mail and no Internet, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Yea, that one is not lost on the dockmasters. A classic sailboat move, come up to the fuel dock, drop off 3 bags of trash, spend 15 minutes with the hose filling up the 200 gallon water tank, ask for a pumpout, get 5 gallons of diesel, and then head off to a nearby anchorage without leaving a tip.

And people wonder why dockmasters don't like the sailboaters.

Other than that one I think your list is great.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Yea, that one is not lost on the dockmasters. A classic sailboat move, come up to the fuel dock, drop off 3 bags of trash, spend 15 minutes with the hose filling up the 200 gallon water tank, ask for a pumpout, get 5 gallons of diesel, and then head off to a nearby anchorage without leaving a tip.

And people wonder why dockmasters don't like the sailboaters.

Other than that one I think your list is great.
Our son has spent time working the docks. We always call on the VHF to clear our intentions. We always give at least a $5 tip and never take the dock space when there's a line for fuel. There's no way I'll contribute to the bias against sailboats or the thought that they are "freeloading".
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
CaptForce -- excellent list. I'm curious about your #9 -- which port did you choose for all those services?
I've chosen Orange Park, Florida. This is mainly due to a long history and family presence. We're just a few miles from the Green Cove Springs docks and a few the other way to the Jacksonville free landing.