Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 14:21   #46

Boat: Sceptre 41
Irish Tact

Sully:

A friend of mine's mother had an embroidered Tea Towel that hung in their kitchen with this witicisim on it:

The Irish definition of Tact:

The ability to tell someone to go to hell and make them glad to be on their way.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 14:24   #47

D.P.

You sound just like me. I hate it when someone comes over and bugs the hell out of me.

Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 14:57   #48
Bob Norson

This is a great thread! I have been pretty busy lately, so quiet but I can't resist. I don't remember the names involved but I remember the quote from an artist in response to an art critic "I like the way I did it better than the way you didn't!"

When I replaced windows/port lights last year, several people came around and offered tid bits of info and every bit of it was spot on. The right info at the right time as I was proceeding as normal.... get stuck into it and figure it out as you go!

As far as dock side manners go the one thing I have worked out is how rude it is to engage someone in conversation in the morning as the victim is on the run to the toilet block. I see it every day. One person happy to gab and the other crossing their legs trying to get a word in to say "gotta go!"
Old 11-04-2006, 20:28   #49
Kai Nui

[quote=Bob Norson]I don't remember the names involved but I remember the quote from an artist in response to an art critic "I like the way I did it better than the way you didn't!" quote]
I like it. I think that wil be my new mantra. And when I have to admit that I like the way you did it better tan the way I did it, I will take a lesson from your advice
Old 29-05-2006, 10:54   #50

Relax, you're just going through a 'phase'. I been doing 'water work' sailing, commercial fishing, running tugs, operating marine rescue boats,"living aboard", boat building (seven so far) for fifty+ years. After twenty years I was like you---------------because, after all after twenty years on the water I knew what I was doing!
Well after fifty years on the water I still don't know everything and sometimes it seems like I know nothing.
Tip: My wife and I have worked out a method of getting rid of just the type of know-it-alls you refer to. I/we can spot them a mile away: Ninety nine % of 'dock walkers are doing just that, because they enjoy being around boats. We always 'dock walk' where ever we go but we NEVER offer advice. If asked I am immediatly suspicious. Why ask a stranger advice?
Anyway, my wife and I have have worked out an effective way of getting rid of unwanted 'dock visitors'. When either of wants to 'get rid' one of use will go below then call the other to come below to "help me with the stove". We quickly say "I'd better go now". That's it. It works every time.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 17:13   #51

Boat: ?,?,?-?
Hey, that's funny. We had that same advice from some guy about RV tanks though. About it not filling and about it over pressuring the tank.

But about your complaint, I'll apologize to you for the advice-givers behavior. I'm sorry! Why would I apologize when I'm sure I didn't do it--well, my hubby is one of those advice givers. Mostly he just wants to start a conversation. Half the time he starts with advice and the other half asking for it. He's really quite clever so he usually pulls quite a bit of info out of people while sharing what he has.

Still, I feel sorry for the folks that don't want his advice. He's a good guy really. And without some of that advice, we would have been in a world of hurt more than once (in our RV.)

Good luck. I hope to have the exact same problem soon if we ever get to buy a boat.

Chanda
jartwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 00:35   #52

Boat: PEARSON 422
i totally agree sean. can you believe the nerve of these less experienced boaters telling us what to do. when we already know everything there is to know about the ocean. the next time one of these clowns tries to make your life easier here is what you should do. you let them know that you are super sean sullivan, with a MASTERS LICENSE and a BIG NEW BOAT. tell them you don't need their advice because you have 20 years of boating experience and no time to spare for their lowly, less experienced, never-leave-the-dock, a$$e$ . that should keep them away.

seriously dude, are you for real??
Old 19-08-2006, 13:23   #53
cruiser

Wow... again, more jerks writing on this forum from the office with nothing better to do. I haven't tied to anything other than a fuel dock in 5 months. Where's that Pearson of yours? Out cruising? Oh, not this year? Maybe next? Maybe in the 5 year plan?

You sir, are the reason (and other like you who have started these types of little petty wars) I am not participating on this board at the level I once was.

I often wonder if we shouldn't be more selective about who can have an account and who can't.

Scathing, callous posts (done in mean spirit) should be cause for possible banning from the board. This isn't the first I've seen.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 14:14   #54

Boat: Privilege 37
Sean, good to hear your voice again. Slanging somebody off when you have corresponded over years is fine, we know which strings to tug.

When its a newbie doing the slanging, you dont even know enough about them to have them on the ignore list
Old 19-08-2006, 14:57   #55
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Two wrongs have never made a right.

Personal attacks on other members are not allowed per our terms of service.

Please consider this an official warning for all concerned.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 15:26   #56

Yeah Sean. I totally agree with Rick.

Your contributions to this forum. About you refitting your boat for the charter business. Was invaluable information. And it helped inspired me. And giving me insite on the demanding tasks involved with getting a boat ready for business. Plus other posting contributions you have made to this forum.

Don't let the flammer's get you down.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 19-08-2006, 16:11   #57
cruiser

Wow... thanks guys. I wanted to go and remove my response to this guy, since I should have just kept quiet, but now that there are follow up posts, it would destroy the the flow of the thread. I'll leave it be.

Thanks for all of the kind words. Seriously. And Captain K - glad to have you back!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 16:14   #58

Oh. I was walking to and fro across the earth, Sean!!

Just being busy chasing skirts and such.

I'll send ya a photo of her later?

Old 19-08-2006, 17:45   #59
Kai Nui

Salty Dog, I I I IIIIIII, Oh never mind... No point in a flame war. I know what I don't know, and learn what I can. I have certainly learned a thing or two from Sean, and from the great questions he asks. So... Let's move on, and be nice
Old 20-08-2006, 07:37   #60

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Back to the original posting -- I guess i am lucky -- i keep my boat at a liveaboard marina where a lot of rework and refitting is going on -- everyone shares thoughts and feelings - give tips and listens with some thoughts - you can tell if they are rejected -- and help each other out -- in essence we have a community - during hurricane season we were all looking out for all the boats at the marina and retied several (except during wilma which prevent us from getting on the dock) as lines snapped or were about to - we help with labor when some heavy lifting needs done - a couple of guys are in major refits so they go out with those of us who have boats so they can take a day off and sail -
i am about to try and change my cutlass while the boat is in the water and a couple of guys have volunteered to help. - as a novice and learner i listen -- i use to climb big mountains and taught it - novice or good dooers would say this is the way it should be done -- i would smile, a quick evualtion (did not want to keep my mind closed) and usually do what i always did as i always came back alive and never had a serious accident.
am i luck - i guess as i love my community and if and when i take off i will miss my dock family.
chuck and soulmates
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote