Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 09:40   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Docking Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Clipper Yacht Harbor on Sausalito has a pump out station for your holding tank. It's located at the fuel dock. They charge $5 if you don't have a slip at Clipper.
There is also a local mobile pumpout service:

MARINE SANITATION SERVICE - KEEPING SAN FRANCISCO BAY CLEAN - Marine Sanitation Service San Francisco Bay - Mobile Pump Out Station
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 09:57   #32

Boat: Perry 47

One reason that I am in a slip at Paradise Cay instead of anchored out in Sausalito is that I have heard horror story after horror story about the current rash of thefts and boat boarding's going on in the anchor out fleet. It would be more convenient for me to be on the hook there than driving back and forth every day from Tiburon, and surely less expensive than having my slip, but until something is done about the security of the anchor outs I'll stay over here.

If you choose to anchor out, as has been stated, Clipper fuel dock has a pump out station and the anchor out dingy fleet uses the Schoonmaker docks right by the public beach.

I use BayGreen mobile pumpout service.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 10:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
One reason that I am in a slip at Paradise Cay instead of anchored out in Sausalito is that I have heard horror story after horror story about the current rash of thefts and boat boarding's going on in the anchor out fleet. It would be more convenient for me to be on the hook there than driving back and forth every day from Tiburon, and surely less expensive than having my slip, but until something is done about the security of the anchor outs I'll stay over here.

If you choose to anchor out, as has been stated, Clipper fuel dock has a pump out station and the anchor out dingy fleet uses the Schoonmaker docks right by the public beach.

I use BayGreen mobile pumpout service.
Page 20, post #297 of http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...125346-20.html will give you an idea of what's likely to occur in the future affecting Richardson Bay.

Dingy access, particularly at Schoomaker Point Marina is chaotic and anarchical, just like what prevails in the Bay. Most recent arrivals adding to the anchor out group are 'garage mechanic' types using runabouts, jon boats and anything that floats capable of carrying gargantuan loads. Not sailors. Bad attitudes.

Yesterday someone vomited in a sailors kayak... No effort expended to clean it up either.

Anchoring anywhere in Richardson is risky. Inadequate ground tackle and illegal moorings are the norm. And, there are moored boats with no mooring ball to inform others.... So, appearances may lead you to assume incorrectly a boat is at anchor. You anchor with adequate scope and can end up colliding with the boat you assumed would approximate your swinging circle.

Most recent thefts I am aware of at Schoonmaker. One $5,000 bike from inside a power boat. Another bike further down the dock opposite the anchor out's 'dingies'. A laptop computer belonging to a Schoonmaker employee stolen from her boat. And, in the past a woman caught by none other than myself stealing my kayak paddle ended up in jail, eventually pleading guilty.

In other words, anchoring in Richardson Bay is not recommended.

You can check, but at the present time I do not see any unnocupied port mooring balls.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 11:12   #34

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gystilyn View Post

Any opinions on Emeryville or Berkeley Marinas?
I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard horror stories about Emeryville from our neighbor in our marina. Obviously, second and third hand tales of woe should be taken with more than a grain of salt.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 17:40   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 409

No doubt, lots of very sketchy people anchored out. But some good people, too. Lock your stuff, get to know those around you, you'll be fine.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, docking