Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 04:48   #121
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
On a more serious note, in the UK you cannot open a bank account without a residential address. If your residential status changes and you become a non person (a term actually used by the bank to describe me), You then cannot apply for any other account (credit card, cheque, or savings) even with the same bank you are currently with.....so far we have managed without, but come pensionable age, well who knows what new dilemas we may face?
No bank account = No possibility of renting a property to get an address, Can stop you getting a job because thats how your wages are paid and is in your security evaluation, Can affect/stop SS Benefit claims as you don't have an address, need a bank account for payments as well... and you can't get a bank account coz you don't have an address... and thats just the tip...
Our Governments don't control our lives.... 'Our Banks Do'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:49   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Ok so I don't see a benefit either way this morning. I see hypocrisy. I read here above the mantra's of how people postulate/lecture about how to live without being materialistic or having to depend on "things" in live, and in the same breath the same people love their boats and oooh and aaaaw all gaga like at the same materials they profess to not depend on! You know what....you still have the same worries and dependencies as someone who owns a house. Worse, in fact. A house don't move around. Doesn't get in a shipping lane, or have to worry about a credit card captain rammin the hell out of it and sinkin' it....or worry that when you are at the ice creme parlor the house anchor might snap and send your house onto a reef. Don't have to worry about their house tender being stolen, or some crazy local bandido coming aboard to steal the boatykatt!

There ain't no such thing as freedom. anything you own ends up owning you.

As for respect...it ain't just the house owners and the usual suspects...how many of you get looked down upon by the boating community because you are a livaboard? How many yards ignore you or treat you like dirt because you are a livaboard who doenst have a ton of money like that bozo from the city that comes down once a month to sit in his boat at the dock over the weeend and shells out megabucks to the yard people for work?

GrumpyMonkey sees the truth indeed! AHAA!!!
+1

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:58   #123

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Ok so I don't see a benefit either way this morning. I see hypocrisy. I read here above the mantra's of how people postulate/lecture about how to live without being materialistic or having to depend on "things" in live, and in the same breath the same people love their boats and oooh and aaaaw all gaga like at the same materials they profess to not depend on! You know what....you still have the same worries and dependencies as someone who owns a house. Worse, in fact. A house don't move around. Doesn't get in a shipping lane, or have to worry about a credit card captain rammin the hell out of it and sinkin' it....or worry that when you are at the ice creme parlor the house anchor might snap and send your house onto a reef. Don't have to worry about their house tender being stolen, or some crazy local bandido coming aboard to steal the boatykatt!

As for respect...it ain't just the house owners and the usual suspects...how many of you get looked down upon by the boating community because you are a livaboard? How many yards ignore you or treat you like dirt because you are a livaboard who doenst have a ton of money like that bozo from the city that comes down once a month to sit in his boat at the dock over the weeend and shells out megabucks to the yard people for work?

You are up way too early this morning Salty ... and probably haven't had enough coffee yet. Go check in a YachtWorld and come back ... it will all be o.k. soon.

Not that I disagree with anything you said though ....
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 06:31   #124

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:

Salty,You really need to go sailing this weekend and take a little time off. Relax!
Personally I don't care what anyone thinks. I have a plan and am working towards it. I feel at the end of my plan I'll show pics and say ya, Fiji been there. There's a nice little bar on the what ever beach you gotta see if you EVER get there.
People are sheep! They want to be lead and we think outside the box. If you tell them home ownership on land is the way to go 9 out of 10 people will by a home on land. But do they own it?
Try drilling for oil in Dakota. Try opening a gold mine in Georgia. The Gov will swoop in and claim they have the mineral rights and you don't own a thing on your own property. At least if they find gold under my boat I can pull the anchor and I haven't lost anything.
So go ahead and tell me I'm a fool or it shouldn't be done. I'll just do it and you will just stand there with your jaw on the ground just like the last time you told me I couldn't or shouldn't do something but I did it anyway. Just this time don't ask me how'd you do that?
Old 26-05-2011, 07:35   #125
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boatman--you are more well heeled than am i---right now i have 120 dollars, mebbe, in my account and 2-3 weeks until Payday-- but that is ok as i am in a place wherein i receive free fish and stuff aint as pricey as in good ol usofa..... nor is it as fa****T...lol.....and bubba is eating dorado and albacore--in sd we would be eating a lot less well with that amount in my account...LOL
am anchored for free- have to spend money to land dink, but that is ok.....ice is pricey here but i can get cheaper if i wanna walk until it melts before i get home--- yay for bicycles..LOL
despite heat, this place is pretty cool......for now, and a while...not being criminalized for having a boat and low income, as i was in sd....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:26   #126

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
so far we have managed without, but come pensionable age, well who knows what new dilemas we may face?
In the winter, down south, my brother supplies a brick and morter address. If I move up north for the summer, it's my other brother. In the US there are companies that will supply what looks like a B&M address and forward your mail to you wherever you are.
Old 26-05-2011, 08:35   #127

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

zeehag

how much do they charge for the dinghy dock in Maz?

Here in La Paz it's 15 pesos. Thought we would see you drop the hook here on your way... Enjoy MX, we love it!
Old 26-05-2011, 08:54   #128
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In the past (extended time abroad - gaps in work history) I have used mostly vagueness and also told folks what they wanted to hear.
We use the phrase "sailing sabbatical".

It sounds highbrow and they think we were rich to have owned a 46' sailboat in the el Caribe as everyone knows only rich people don't have to go to work everyday. Like you say they then hear what they wanna hear and we don't try to enlighten
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 09:05   #129
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

AHA! SaltyMonkey is back from Coffee and Yahctworld, and perhaps read too much Shelby Foote last evening and misses Virginia too much right now, but still thinks owning boats has same worries if not more than a house. Unless you are fat rich and don't mind losing your boat because you have another spare somewhere.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 13:25   #130
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

In a society where most people rent and those that do "own" real estate are actually paying off the bank so don't really own it, I own my boat outright, so in an economy where owning real estate is no longer an investment owning my own place affords a security otherwise not found.
Old 26-05-2011, 13:31   #131
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I gotta say I don't get the grumpiness surrounding the property tax issue... and boaters *not paying it*

Renters on land don't pay property tax for the land their apartments are on... why would you pay property tax for the slip you rent?

The marina pays property tax, just as the building owner does...

As for flack...

I gotta say, the boat no boat, house no house deal isn't really the issue for me... I don't take flack.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 13:45   #132
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I gotta say I don't get the grumpiness surrounding the property tax issue... and boaters *not paying it*

Renters on land don't pay property tax for the land their apartments are on... why would you pay property tax for the slip you rent?

The marina pays property tax, just as the building owner does...

As for flack...

I gotta say, the boat no boat, house no house deal isn't really the issue for me... I don't take flack.
Renter's don't pay tax but I pay "lease hold tax" of 12.5% for slip rental and again for live aboard fee, with sales tax for all the other fees.
Even those who don't think anyone should be allowed to live aboard are more envious of the life style than think I am getting away with something
Old 26-05-2011, 14:39   #133

Boat: CT54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
zeehag

how much do they charge for the dinghy dock in Maz?

Here in La Paz it's 15 pesos. Thought we would see you drop the hook here on your way... Enjoy MX, we love it!
I agree that LaPaz is incredibly cruiser friendly (even for Mexico). We spent quite a bit of time in Maz at the old harbor and although we enjoyed our time there I do believe LaPaz would be a easier/cheaper place to liveaboard.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote