Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 13:16   #31

Boat: Beneteau 473
Checking in and out of the Bahamas with guns aboard

I have an idea...anyone who wants to turn this discussion into a gun debate should start a new thread

Anyone who who doesn't want to have a gun debate stay here

My original question has nothing to do with politics

I don't care to debate right or wrong of weapons onboard

Please take that discussion to a new thread and ignore this one. I don't want you here

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-07-2014, 13:38   #32
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Checking in and out of the Bahamas with guns aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I have an idea...anyone who wants to turn this discussion into a gun debate should start a new thread

Anyone who who doesn't want to have a gun debate stay here

My original question has nothing to do with politics

I don't care to debate right or wrong of weapons onboard

Please take that discussion to a new thread and ignore this one. I don't want you here

Thank you.

aren't you the same guy who wrote post #9??????
Old 01-07-2014, 13:47   #33

Boat: Beneteau 473

Thanks Agape39

Old 01-07-2014, 13:59   #34
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well if we continue that line of thinking a shotgun and pistol is irresponsible. You need something beyond what the bad guys can get and the bad guy could be other cruisers as they seem to be the most armed.

Maybe twin 100mm chain guns
Now you're talk'in. However, an RPG would be less conspicuous and take up less space....

All kidding aside, statistics show that there are over 300 million guns out there in the private sector. It only stands to reason that a good number of them are finding there way on boats. Even if statistics prove that the chances of being boarded and threatened are slim I would consider that irrelevant. The possibility that it CAN happen should be enough to convince anyone of the need to be armed at sea.

I think it is a safe bet that those who cruise the Islands know that weapons on board are essential. I wouldn’t leave port without them. Just know the law of the land.

BZT
PS Silent Option, did you actually think that a thread about cruising the Bahamas and guns wouldn’t turn into a gun debate? That’s a given.
Old 01-07-2014, 14:47   #35

Boat: csy 37

Not going to get in to a gun debate, but I do find it interesting that only Americans bring guns in to the Bahamas, and probably the Caribean as well. Never heard of a Canadian or other nationality even discuss the subject.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 15:13   #36

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Not going to get in to a gun debate, but I do find it interesting that only Americans bring guns in to the Bahamas, and probably the Caribean as well. Never heard of a Canadian or other nationality even discuss the subject.

Do you have authoritative information, or this is just supposition by you?
Old 01-07-2014, 18:44   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

Aaaaa...that's because we always had your back.

BZT
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02   #38

I know the OP was questioning entry into Bahamas with weapons, and I see that it has been answered. Thanks to all those that have answered.

I'd like to know if there are any known areas one should steer clear of, if carrying.

My wife is from Philippines so countries specific to that region would be of most interest.

Thank you,
-DailyLunatic
Old 09-07-2014, 20:52   #39

Boat: Bayliner 3988 MY

Canadians may not discuss the subject but my boat does carry firearms and I renew my BATF form 6 annually so I can transit the ICW to Florida. Bahamas is on the bucket list and may be done this winter.
Old 09-07-2014, 22:17   #40

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLunatic View Post
----
I'd like to know if there are any known areas one should steer clear of, if carrying.
----
Mexico.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:17   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Mexico.
Of all the places NOT to carry, Mexico, a place where you need to be armed to the teeth.

BZT
Old 22-07-2014, 17:32   #42

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Checking in and out of the Bahamas with Guns Aboard

Great thread Guys! Thank you so much, hubby has finally agreed to my dream of sailing the Caribbean but insists he will not go without protection- and I don't mean sun screen- so I was overly happy to read this and find we will have no problems!!! Stupid question- why not in Mexico? I would like to go to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras for some diving. Do you get boarded and checked in Mexico? What happens?
Old 22-07-2014, 18:05   #43

I have not cruised into Mexico but I have been there a few times in the past four years and made a point to research their gun laws. Despite the fact that the Mexican Constitution has a near exact copy of our Second Amendment in it, they do not interpret it anything like we do and the Mexican authorities are pretty intolerant of firearm possession by mere citizens. Any one who does get a permit is only allowed to possess the gun in their home; transporting it to a gunsmith or a range requires a separate transportation permit. And citizens are only allowed to possess "non-military" firearms, which basically means shotguns or .32 caliber and smaller. Any calibers larger than a .32 is considered contraband and is a prison offense. This includes the ammo, not just the gun. My understanding is that if you declare your weapons they will confiscate the "non-military" ammo and guns (you might get them back when you leave) and you will be in a lot of trouble if you declare the larger calibers. It is possible to get a permit but I've heard it takes a long time and is impractical for cruisers.
Old 22-07-2014, 18:07   #44
cruiser

mexico is stricter in that the customs removes the firearms once declared and returns them to you when you leave. have not been in there since 80s{1980s}.perhaps recent changes but many countries do this as well elsewhere. bahamas allow you to retain possession after declared.never had them count the rounds upon leaving or even checking but have heard of this.as in many islands like the DR down to greneda the rules vary. 12gauge no problem but ar-15 {any assault/military style} ,over .38 cal in mexico,over .22 pistola etc} in some countries and the items are held till you leave. best to do your homework before leaving or at least always declare it upon entry otherwise if they do search and find they can and will take your boat in some countries. and if in the bahamas or USVI,BVI etc. dont sell it to a local for beer money unless you really trust them. i have heard of set-ups where a guy sold his .45 to a local and later promptly arrested and put into a 3rd world type dungeon until he paid the 5000 usd fine.the local police have a serious problem with guns being used by locals and if you contribute to the problem by selling and/or trading with the locals the penalties can be severe. fairwinds and godspeed
Old 22-07-2014, 18:44   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
One of my buddies did get boarded in Nassau, and they did count every last round. He had an AR-15 and a lot of ammo, so maybe they thought he was up to something. They clearly knew he had the rifle from his paperwork, they came to his anchored boat and immediately demanded to see the weapons and ammo. So it can happen. (A lot more likely in Nassau than in the Abacos, for example, IMHO.)
yes,those ar-15s have a bad rep everywhere.the stainless ruger mini-14 doesnt even raise an eyebrow in most places as it just looks like a regular hunting rifle.better choice in my opinion and i have handled both. an SKS-D in .308 is a good cheap boatgun but it rusts. we have also never checked out of the bahamas and have never even been searched by customs in usa. been out and in about 30 times in 30 years.never even read that small print on the permit.maybe we look honest i guess.fairwinds and godspeed.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Guns, bahamas, guns