Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 14:25   #1

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Challenges to Living Aboard from Carolinas to Florida?

I'm considering moving to the East Coast of the U.S. from California. I think the weather and the lack of bugs makes CA pretty ideal for living aboard and am a bit concerned about both these aspects on the other side of the continent. Are these a problem there? I hear of pesticides sprayed from trucks to keep down the mosquitoes, know all about the lovely cockroaches, no see-ums, etc...and the weather would seem too hot during the summer.
Are these major or minor annoyances for you folks back East?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:38   #2
cruiser

Re: Challenges to Living Aboard from Carolinas to Florida?

you are talking about 2000 miles of coast (linear) so what part are you talking about? Here in Florida sure there are bugs but good sailing and winter is great. Summer can be hot but generally good wind and nowhere is it perfect all the time. If I'm wrong about last assertion someone educate me please
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:49   #3

I don't think you can live aboard in Georgia, so let's leave that out, but am I wrong in thinking that the Carolinas and Florida are pretty buggy places with very hot weather (90+ Fahrenheit) during the summer?
Old 05-04-2011, 16:50   #4

Send a message via AIM to NomadRip Send a message via Yahoo to NomadRip Send a message via Skype™ to NomadRip

I moved to the West coast of Florida from Southern California.

The humidity is something else in the summer. There are something like 140 species of mosquitoes out here, but it's the no-see-ums that get me the worst. Apparently I am quite tasty.

That being said, I am glad I made the move. It's got a lot going for it besides a couple of little downsides.

Getting there...
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:55   #5

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

I lived on the coast in NC for several years. It really is a beautiful place, with a very nice climate. Although summers do get particularly hot, and AC would be welcome. The humidity would be the real killer. California would be much nicer, but the cost of living in North Carolina would be more ideal.
Old 05-04-2011, 17:05   #6

Thanks for those responses! That gives me some perspective from two different locales.
Old 05-04-2011, 17:13   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Remember too that the East Coast has more in the way of seasons than does Southern California. Even in the Carolinas you will experience a full four seasons, and you might find snow on your decks in parts of North Carolina. Even in South Carolina you are likely to need a jacket on cold winter days. Yes, summers are hot, humid, and can be buggy anywhere on the East Coast. But, the main issue you have to deal with is hurricane season. Some insurance companies won't insure boats south of Cape Hatteras during the season, and everybody has to stay aware of what is happening in the tropics in order to evacuate or institute your hurricane plan. If you can work out how to do it, the best of all worlds is to snow bird it--travel north and south with the seasons so you can enjoy each area during its best weather. Maine in the summer, Florida and the Bahamas in the winter, and so forth is the way to go. The Chesapeake is beautiful in the fall and the spring. You get the idea. Another huge East Coast plus is that there are probably more harbors in any single state than on the entire coast from Washington to California. I once counted up easily around 100 places that would be nice to visit within a one-day sail of Annapolis.
Old 05-04-2011, 17:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Kettlewell well describes the opportunities of the East Coast. We are "latitude crusiers", spending the sumers in the north and winters in the south, but we lived aboard in Florida year 'round for thirty years before fulltime cruising ten years ago. I'm not bothered by bugs, humidity, heat or hurricanes, but this is my "briar patch" and I've adapted to my homeland. I have and use AC when at the dock in the summer. I don't spend my time in the mosquito and biting gnat (no-see-um) locations. I ignore the big roaches and palmetto bugs. I dress for humidity. I seek a hide-out three days before any hurricane can be at my location,- we know when they will be upon us!

We're keeping to the best locales,-

Tags
florida, living aboard