Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 17:47   #31

Re: Best PNW Marinas? OR coast? Seattle WA?

I've kept boats in a lot of marinas around Puget Sound over the years. A lot of them will have waiting lists for larger boats, and for liveaboard spots.
Shilshole has waiting lists in Seattle, but sometimes you can find spots above the locks in the small marinas or in Fisherman's Terminal. Anything in Lake Union has waiting lists, but you are right in Seattle and right by an active sailing and racing community.
Everett right now has open slips up to 28 feet but waiting lists above that.
I particularly like Blaine as once you are out of Drayton Harbor is wide open about 15 miles to Sucia and the San Juans or west to the Gulf islands. They have nice bathrooms and showers.
I was in Friday Harbor last weekend. They have really upgrades the docks since I kept my old boat there. Some of the more consistantly windy areas are just north between Stuart Island and Waldron island, and also south in Juan de Fuca. But it's an hour and a half ferry ride from Anacortes, but you can walk on.
Cap Sante in Anacortes has waiting lists and I think no liveaboards, but you would have to check.
I just brought a Canadian boat into the country and since it was made in Sweden I did have to pay duty although it was pretty small. If you need to hire a broker, they are all in Blaine, so I would enter the US there rather than Friday Harbor. Although for me it was only a 24 hour process and my car was by the ferry if I had needed to use it.
If you worked in Seattle, you could keep the boat in Bremerton and ride the ferry to downtown. It is an hour ride.
I'd also look at Tacoma if you can work anywhere, since they have a sailing area south of Vashon island right off the waterfront and it's not far to Seattle.
There are lots of choices, so you will need to narrow down where you want to go and then get on a waiting list if it's a larger boat.
Some marinas will allow you to keep a slip when you buy a boat, but some will let you stay a few months but then you have to go make room for people on their wait list.
Old 31-08-2015, 18:11   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just received an email from my marina that they are offering 25 slips for boats less than 42 ft for $199 per month plus a $100 fee if you live aboard. With the first months moorage free.in bremerton at the bridgeview marina
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 18:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm at their other marina in port orchard and all they requires of me to move in was proof of insurance and an email address.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:03   #34

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

A couple of years ago Cap Sante had a sign up advertising some liveaboard slips so they do have them - whether or not any are still available I don't know. That would be a good place to be but not the best place to be looking for work.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 19:28   #35

Poulsbo is little outta the way but full of charm and reasonable. Great pubs and food, easy north or Seattle for day trips. Spent year there a few back..would do again.
Laconner too fits same ideas. Couple decades ago port Angeles was great, now ?
Skullbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 19:37   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is also a bus from right by the poulsbo marina that takes you to the Bainbridge ferry as well I spent a winter there a couple years ago they have liveaboard temporary moorage during the winter if you don't want to live on the hook.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13   #37

Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes welcomes liveaboards. They are located closest to San Juan Islands. Great place to have access to everything even if it is north of Seattle.
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:16   #38

Boat: SeaPearl 21

Hi Greg! My name is Rob. I am usafdream on the forum. I would like to meetup next time I am in Portland. I am at slip 13 in the Mccuddy Marina NW of the airport. My cell is 520-205-1823. Text me if you will be around later this month.
usafdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:35   #39

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
There is also a bus from right by the poulsbo marina that takes you to the Bainbridge ferry as well I spent a winter there a couple years ago they have liveaboard temporary moorage during the winter if you don't want to live on the hook.
I was thinking about anchoring out there this winter, and living aboard 3-4 days out of the week.
I'm living aboard full time now at anchor, but am a little exposed (Sequim Bay) for winter anchoring, although I have to admit, I'm very tempted to try.

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows the current anchoring situation in Poulsbo? I'd like to overwinter there.

Will I be hassled at all?
Old 19-09-2015, 12:24   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually you have to abide by the DNR regulations on anchoring anywhere in Washington state which says you can anchor for up to thirty days in a location then have to move a minimum of five nautical miles also you may not anchor in the same area for more than 90 days in a year. So a month at paulsbo then a month in eagle harbor on Bainbridge island then you can go back to poulsbo for the rest of the winter. Two years ago I spent 2 months in liberty bay at poulsbo without issue. YMMV
Old 19-09-2015, 13:22   #41

So is that in a live aboard situation, or does it apply to a boat anchored out on its own as well?
Old 19-09-2015, 13:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually you have to abide by the DNR regulations on anchoring anywhere in Washington state which says you can anchor for up to thirty days in a location then have to move a minimum of five nautical miles also you may not anchor in the same area for more than 90 days in a year. So a month at paulsbo then a month in eagle harbor on Bainbridge island then you can go back to poulsbo for the rest of the winter. Two years ago I spent 2 months in liberty bay at poulsbo without issue. YMMV

Thank you for the clarity. I appreciate the information, and am happy to hear it's doable. Just need to keep moving it would appear.

And what about Bainbridge Islands open water marina? Do you have any experiences dealing with them?
Old 19-09-2015, 13:54   #43

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Do they ever heckle you? I know a lot of places people are anchored out pretty permanently and no one gives them any trouble about it.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 14:10   #44

Not sure about Poulsbo but not heard of an heckling at all anywhere except seattle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 15:11   #45

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Bellingham, WA has come out with some restrictions over the past year, that go somethin like this....You can anchor of Boulevard Park for 3 days at no charge, after that you can stay for up to 30 days for a charge according to the size of your boat, on a mooring ball. Not good, as the area is not shelterd and no good place to land a dinghy. Squalicum Marina is close by, and is a lot better... You can also use the Linear Mooring near Fairhaven.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, seattle