Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 11:20   #1

Best Internet Provider for a Liveaboard

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to what internet provider is best for a livebaboard. I will definitely ask around the marina as well, just curious to see what the opinions are on here.

Honestly, I hate the idea of having a satellite or anything like that on the deck (I like to keep it clear and clean). I was using a mobile hotspot before, but that can get expensive.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!
queendido88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 15:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Best Internet Provider for a Liveaboard

I use and recommend Digicel.

(But since I don't know where in the world you are, that may not be completely helpful )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:25   #3

We us AT&T. Fast, reliable, and outrageously priced. Cruising from Texas to Florida we had Internet in every anchorage.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We us AT&T. Fast, reliable, and outrageously priced. Cruising from Texas to Florida we had Internet in every anchorage.
I don't know how much your AT&T service was, but I've used Millenicom in the past and it was very reasonable. They are an MVNO that leases from Verizon. Verizon charges $50/mo for 5GB of data, Millenicom gives you the same 4GLTE service that Verizon customers get, but it's $70/mo. for 20GB, for those who use more bandwidth it's a better deal.

I also like it because it's a prepaid service, so you buy the mobile hotspot, and then just activate it for whenever you want it. If you're away from Verizon coverage, just stop paying and resume when you're back in the overage area, which is larger than anyone else's, usually.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:44   #5

Ah... I should mention that I'm located in the Bay Area, and unfortunately I won't be leaving anytime soon, so my internet doesn't need to follow me everywhere. That's funny... I am going to rechristen the boat to Rain Dog.
Old 10-06-2015, 17:58   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendido88 View Post
Ah... I should mention that I'm located in the Bay Area, and unfortunately I won't be leaving anytime soon, so my internet doesn't need to follow me everywhere. That's funny... I am going to rechristen the boat to Rain Dog.

Bay of Biscay or Bay of Bengal ?

(We ARE an international forum).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Bay of Biscay or Bay of Bengal ?

(We ARE an international forum).
I'm pretty sure he meant the San Francisco bay, it is commonly referred to as the bay area.
captian ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm now using a ATT unity prepaid device. 5 gig, $50 and you can add A gig for $10 per. I've added an exterior antenna which gives me two more bars in some anchorages. It's fast and works with my on board freelance engineering work.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:55   #9

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

MetroPCS has limited coverage so you'll have to see if it covers your area but In Florida it's only $60 a month for unlimited internet ,texting and phone.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 20:34   #10

I use so much Internet that I got tired of trying to save $50 a month and too often not having a fast or reliable connection.

I have a Verizon Iphone with 10GB (shared with my wife) and ATT Ipad mini with the Apple month to month 5GB plan. I will use the hotspot on which ever has more data left for the laptop. If one runs short of data, I will also use the other one's hotspot.

In the Bahamas I buy a Batelco SIM for the iphone and load it with 2GB for $30.

If the signal is a bit weak, I put the phone in a waterproof cover turn on the hotspot and raise it 10 ft on a flag halyard.

If it's real weak at anchor (only happens in the Bahamas), I will get out an amplifier with a 60 degree directional antenna and hang the antenna from the lifeline pointing towards the tower and run the coax along the deck. Height doesn't really seem to matter much.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 21:11   #11

I pay AT&T $160/month for 40GB. Expensive, but worth it for us. Will have to check out Millenicom. Thanks for the tip.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:43   #12

Thank you for all of your suggestions... I looked into Millenicom. It was hard to find much info about them. At these rates, until I can afford it, I think I'm better off going to the library, which is only a ten minute walk from the boat.
Old 12-06-2015, 15:33   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

Deleted my comment. Wasn't worth it.
SVArgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 19:03   #14

Boat: Herreshoff Cat Ketch 38, Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser

I've been using Sprint for mobile internet for about 8 years now. I started with their usb dongle and then migrated to the smart phones as they became dependable. I tried subscribing to their Hotspot service but it was terrible. For the last 5 years I have been using "Rooted" Samsung devices. The process of rooting a phone varies depending on the device and carrier, but Sprint branded Samsungs are incredibly simple.

Once rooted, the device is completely unlocked and has no carrier installed restrictions. I tether my Sprint 4G internet connection to my laptop and use well over 100 GB per month of fast, unthrottled 4G data. An HDMI cable from my laptop to my tele delivers Netflix in HD! My plan has unlimited talk/text/data. It is $50.00/month for talk & text and $30.00 for unlimited data. With taxes and misc. fees the bill is $92.11. In the many years I have been doing this I have yet to hear a peep from anyone at Sprint. Just tossing it out there. As always, YMMV.
GuerrillaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 20:19   #15

I have AT&T unlimited internet, text, and calls and it pretty much works everywhere .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, liveaboard