Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 05:27   #1

Best airtight Food containers

any recommendations for airtight food storage containers for rice pasta etc?
Old 27-10-2014, 06:25   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Best airtight Food containers

I really like sealing things up with a Food Saver. The bags take up little room and can go into odd shaped storage areas and it keeps things fresh for a long time.
Old 28-10-2014, 03:47   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
I cook with rice aboard Led Myne, not pasta. I carry my rice in PET containers with screw on lids - I trust PET more than low density polyethylene or propylene containers.

I choose a basmati rice, for low GI. In an economy with well managed supply chains, I buy a quality basmati such as a triple-cleaned basmati from a reputable brand. In economies with poorly run supply chains, the sort where weevils are usual companions in any supermarket or dry supply store, I (like any sensible housewife in India) choose a parboiled basmati. The deal being that weevils might find their way into a sack of parboiled rice, but the weevils cannot bore into the rice grains and flourish.

I've met cruisers who freeze their rice (e.g. asking a supermarket to store a bag of rice in their freezer temporarily overnight) to kill weevils and weevil eggs. That works, but it means that if the rice has already been visited by weevils, you're getting some (all? none? many? a few?) grains that have already been hollowed by the weevils. Choosing a parboiled rice (the choice of about 50% of the world's rice consumers) is the better answer, I think.

Of course, parboiled rice requires soaking for 30-45 minutes before cooking, so it requires more water (soak water + cooking water) than a standard non-parboiled rice which, if triple-cleaned by the rice miller, only requires cooking water. So I use slightly more potable water when I'm carrying parboiled rice.

Parboiled rice can be distinguished from non-parboiled rice on inspection, so you cannot confuse the two.

So to me the type of rice (1. a low GI rice such as basmati; 2. parboiled in certain economies such as the one in whose waters I currently am) is more important than the container.

And for the container, I choose PET over other polymers. I have, over the years, collected containers of square section that fit well into my lockers.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:10   #4

in one word Tupperware.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:28   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
Like oldragbaggers says, we use a Foodsaver to do individual sealing, but we recently purchased a couple of larger spin-on bulk storage containers like this:

Amazon.com : Gamma2 Vittles Vault 15 for Pet Food Storage : Pet Food Storage Products : Pet Supplies

I really like them, and will be purchasing more. They come in various volumes and designs, so can fit into most large storage areas on our boat. They are strong, completely water/air proof, and allow easy access to the stuff inside.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:15   #6

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Been using "lock and lock" brand. good durable airtight seal, and positive locking on all sides. No way these puppies will open up until you want them to!
Lock & Lock USA - Lock & Lock USA Distributor, Inc

I use them to protect more delicate items in the icebox, as well as for keeping food fresh.

we have used the foodsaver, but there is no real good way to re-vacuum seal it on the boat.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 07:21   #7

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Been using "lock and lock" brand. good durable airtight seal, and positive locking on all sides. No way these puppies will open up until you want them to!
Lock & Lock USA - Lock & Lock USA Distributor, Inc

I use them to protect more delicate items in the icebox, as well as for keeping food fresh.

we have used the foodsaver, but there is no real good way to re-vacuum seal it on the boat.
I second the lock & lock. We use them for a lot of things on the boat.

As far as the foodsaver goes, we got rid of ours. We've been using the ZipLoc hand pump system since it doesn't need the large base or the power to seal things. It works good but you need to make sure you have a good seal before you pump it.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:25   #8

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've started getting a few of these containers that seem to be good so far.

OXO Good Grips® Food Storage Pop Container 10-Piece Set - BedBathandBeyond.com
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 07:35   #9

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I second the lock & lock. We use them for a lot of things on the boat.

As far as the foodsaver goes, we got rid of ours. We've been using the ZipLoc hand pump system since it doesn't need the large base or the power to seal things. It works good but you need to make sure you have a good seal before you pump it.
interesting about the ziplock hand pump. Have to look into that. The food saver worked well, at home, seal up dinner, etc, for a one time use item (open it just before you cook/eat/use it). wouldnt use it on the boat. But the hand pump looks like it could be versatile on the boat and home.

But the lock & lock are awesome.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food