Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 13:15   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Austin, welcome to the forum.
Living aboard can be a very reasonable plan, you could even do it during college if your college is near the water.
BUT, yes there is a but, I'd buy an older good condition boat and learn from it, make all your mistakes on it, then move over to the fancy schmancy Sea Ray (I worked for them, know the owners, great boats!). Size of the vessel matters for the marina fees, they bill by the the length. As far as gas, while you are in school you wont be taking her out much anyways. You might even consider an older trawler, they tend to be great live aboards and are diesels so eat less fuel.

so to answer your great questions:
1) insurance--
old boat- roughly 300-400 bucks a year for liability
Sea Ray- a whole lot more!
2) dockage---
old boat/sea Ray- depends on where you are, in Texas slips range from 200-500 month
3) utilities- about 30-50 month
4) maintenance
old boat- only as much as you want to put in it with 100 month for surprises
Sea Ray- 200-300 month, maybe less maybe more

So I say go for it! and again if your college is close to the water and it is a temperate climate, you can do this while in school. It is clear you have a good head on your shoulder, do your research and see if your dream is closer than you think.

Cheers,
Erika

PS
I moved onto a boat at 19, it can be done.

PSS
as the great Twain says:
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain
Thank You everybody.

And Ocean Girl that it also a really good idea.

Just like start of with a sail boat? Thanks. I live in Beaufort SC, it is surrounded by water. We have a college but its small. I am interested in the health field, because there will be a demand for it, because people don't want to just die, and the good pay.

But I can go to college in SC or GA close to the coast and try to live on a sail boat, seems like it would be cheaper than dorms to. Seems like some cost around $900 a month.

And once again, thank you.

apoirier594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 13:31   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoirier594 View Post
But I can go to college in SC or GA close to the coast and try to live on a sail boat, seems like it would be cheaper than dorms to. Seems like some cost around $900 a month.
If that $900 per month includes a meal plan, you might have a hard time beating it by the time you add slip fees and groceries to the cost of owning a boat.
Old 26-04-2010, 14:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If that $900 per month includes a meal plan, you might have a hard time beating it by the time you add slip fees and groceries to the cost of owning a boat.
I don't think it includes meal plans.
But a lot of people have room mates, like if there are 2 ppl. you each just pay 450. Its just for the room itself tho.

Once I get out of college I plan on staying on the same small boat or apartment for at least a year, and pay off the student loans my first year, so they will be gone, and no worries.

Right now I kinda want to be a Radiation Therapist. They make 72k on average but some make 104k.

I have a question about the electricity on a boat. I read on a blog, these ppl. have more power during the summer then winter, do docks only let you use a certain amount? Is that in the slip fees, or do they give you a separate bill for power?

thnx.
apoirier594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 18:26   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Yes, you can do it. Buy a cheap sailboat and live on it..cheap. Google the marinas around the colleges you are applying to and get a rate from them including the live aboard fee (be up front that you plan on living on the boat). Some marinas have a foot limitation for live aboards, my last marina you could only live on a boat that was 30 feet or longer, my present marina has no restrictions.
At 19 I moved onto a Ranger 23 that I bought for 2500. I couldn't stand up inside but she had a great dinette to read at, nice roomy v-berth to sleep in, and a porta potty, what else do ya need when you are young! I sailed her everywhere, and lived very cheaply (ramen noodles 10 for a dollar ).
Some of the best times where when I'd take a gallon of water and a loaf of bread with peanut butter/jelly fixins, and sail out into the bay and not come in till I was out of food and water. I sailed in my PJs, sailed at night, sailed in the morning, sail ~sail ~sail. When I would finally come back into port my neighbors would say that I was gone so long they thought I moved to another marina
You are on the right track, living on land is just as expensive, even in a dorm.
Good luck,
Erika

PS sorry for any typos,
Old 26-04-2010, 18:34   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Some of the best times where when I'd take a gallon of water and a loaf of bread with peanut butter/jelly fixins, and sail out into the bay and not come in till I was out of food and water. I sailed in my PJs, sailed at night, sailed in the morning, sail ~sail ~sail. When I would finally come back into port my neighbors would say that I was gone so long they thought I moved to another marina.
I love this, Erika. I can't believe you haven't hooked up with your sailing soul mate, yet. Real sailors should be pounding down your door!

TaoJones