Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: 12 volt TV / low amp draw tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Your best bet will be googling used for sale LCD TVs in 20" range (give or take). I picked one up, by Sharp, at the local second hand place for $10. Its own converter goes from 120V to 12v on the nose, drawing 2.5 amps. I just connected it to a 12v socket with a fuse and that was it. Now if I can find a digital converter which works at 12v....

PS This change to digital from analog signal is not too conducive to TV watching on the boat as the signal strength in our area is very spotty and I tried all kinds of antennas to no avail. So we just get some old DVDs or watch programs on our notebook where there is decent wi-fi.
Sorry! Couldn't help myself. Get cable, works well at anchor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 15:25   #17

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Grenada uses NTSC like the US but only has two networks. For useful coverage you'd need a satellite setup. Get a DVD player.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:38   #18

Google "12 volt TV". There are quite a few available. The main market is for long-haul truckers. I chose a SKYWORTH. It works great, better than some home TV's. These TV's work in a native 12V mode and do not requre an inverter, nor do they have a built in inverter. Infact, they provide you with a power adapter in case you want to plug into 115VAC-this adapter outputs 12V. Jensen also makes 12V TV's and market them to people with recreational vehicles. There are a few other manufacturers.
gbohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 18:34   #19

At any mayor truck stop place in the US have them (Travel Center of America, Flying J, Pilots, and Love's) flat screens four different sizes, hope that help

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CarlosY747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:46   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We have an LG 27" LED TV with built in DVD on our boat. it included a power brick that produces 12VDC which feeds directly into the TV which was the main reason we purchased this model. First thing I did was wire it directly into the boats DC supply, throwing away the brick. The telly works directly off all voltages (up to around 14.2 or so) without complaint. We do use it for TV reception around our local cruising grounds and rarely use it to play a DVD. What we also use a lot is a USB hard disk loaded with hundreds of videos and photos. This hard disk is powered by the TV USB port and that little LG can play more video formats than either of the two big screens we have at home. In fact, if I were to replace the TV in the future, I wouldn't even bother with the DVD option (although I'd consider a Blu-Ray) as the USB hard disk takes up nothing spacewise compared to a stack of hundreds of DV disks.

Also, I can't remember the exact numbers, but the particular screen size we purchased had a specified power consumption of 36 watts typical which is a lot less than the value for 32" screen sized and bigger sets and struck me as a reasonable size to power usage compromise for our particular use.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:31   #21

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

On Grenada there are going to be lots of little electronic stores that sell cheap Chinese cell phones and the like. They probably have something you could use.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:20   #22

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

I've already dealt with making this decision and came up with a setup that works wonderful and has flawlessly for well over a year. My family doesn't care for TV, however we do like to watch movies and I needed a solution that would,,,

1. Be 12v natively, but not a little truckstop TV
2. Be able to get rid of the library of DVD's on the boat

Here is the setup we have..

TV:
Supersonic Sc-2411 24" Widescreen LED Hdtv:Amazon:Electronics
12v Power Cable:
UpBright® NEW Car DC Adapter For SuperSonic SC-1911 19" SC-2211 22" SC-2411 24" LED HDTV LCD HD TV Auto Vehicle Boat RV Cigarette Lighter Plug Power Supply Cord Charger Cable PSU:Amazon:Electronics

Media Player:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008NO...dir_mdp_mobile
Power Cable:
Micca 5V-5.2V 2000mA (2A) Car Power Adapter For Micca Portable Media Players: Speck, Slim, Slim-HD:Amazon:Electronics

When running the TV and media player off the inverter it was using 9 amps, running everything 12v my consumption is 3.4 amps, meaning I could watch endless movies 24/7.

The big addition to watching movies though was the purchase of my JBL Charge speaker, I plug this into the TV and the sound is incredible. However I bought this for the ditch bag because it is really a huge battery for charging mobile devices like my sat device, phone, GPS etc. JBL Charge Portable Wireless Stereo Speaker and Charger with Bluetooth (Gray):Amazon:MP3 Players & Accessories

That setup has provided our entertainment while underway, at anchor etc, for well over a year. We converted all our DVD's, have flash drives or hard drives that store thousands of movies to watch on a whim without having to worry about storing them on the boat. Think of it like a Kindle for movies!

Just one persons setup, hope it helps..