Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 12:57   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Where can't I go with 9' Draft?

I just saw Boatman 61's answer to you. I think he put it very well.
Old 01-01-2014, 13:13   #17

Depending on the construction of the keel, this company may have something to offer.

Keel Draft Reductions | MarsKeel
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 13:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
And I thought 4 1/2 on our mono was allot!. There are just to many places that I want to go that would be impossible with that draft. What kind of boat?
4.5? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's waist deep! We draw 6'-8" board up. I dont think I've ever sailed less than 6.

9 is a bit on the high side but as the other posters have noted, you can work this with care & planning. Just curious - do you have a long transport? You might consider trucking if you are taking it to the East Coast.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 14:11   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
................ want to hang out where its crowded.. buy shoal draft.. wanna go where the aforementioned will likely never get to.. get a serious boat
I like Boatman's answer too, but ironically, I'm often finding myself in secluded places with my 4'3" draft where others are unable to follow. I don't think it's a huge issue. Everyone will have choices and everyone will push to the limit of their capabilities regardless of their draft. By the way, while you're out there don't bother trying to follow me out Yacht Channel from Lower Matecumbe or out Big Spanish Channel to Key West from Moser Bridge, because you'll be nesting on the shoal!
Old 01-01-2014, 14:20   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you could not go to plenty of marinas and waterways in florida. i like less than 4' draft in the southeast US and gulf coast. that way i can jump in and push off when grounded
Old 01-01-2014, 15:10   #21
cruiser

Our boat draws 7'3.". I personally wouldn't want to draw any more than 8 feet max, since we already spend more time looking at the charts and depth sounder than most others. We don't have any problem anchoring, although sometimes we're out a little further, but there are quite a few marinas and inlets we can't get into.

I know it might not sound like a big deal, but sometimes one really does need to get into a marina to have repairs done or to get out of the weather or away from a swell. What do you do if you can't get into the only one around for 60-100 miles?

Sometimes we're envious of those catamarans... Especially the Sunreefs.

On second thought... I wouldn't buy a monohull with a keel any deeper than the one we have now... Too many hassles. The next boat, if there ever is one... Will be a catamaran or more likely a trawler.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 19:39   #22

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

4.5? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's waist deep! We draw 6'-8" board up. I dont think I've ever sailed less than 6.

Lol the new boat draws 3'8" and even now sometimes I really envy the Catanas with their 18" draft but the dagger board risk and maintenance was just to much for us. A man has to know his limits!
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 22:00   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Our experience with 8 ft was that there were some places which were really tight, like Florida and Queensland--we never tried the Bahamas, but that was partly due to the $300 entry fee. Most of the rest of the world is doable, and you will appreciate the draft in the open ocean. One of the shoal draft boats which departed RTW with us stopped in NZ to add 2 ft to the keel.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft