Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 02:08   #1

Boat: Self-build, motorboat, 6.4 m, Honda 7.5 hp
Southern Norway - Serbia

I'm new to the forum. Maybe, I put this post in the wrong subforum place.

It was with great pleasure that I read most of the posts on your forum. Very impressive stories...

I'm Dusan from Serbia. Born in 1964. I sailing Serbia rivers in a small motorboat (handmade, length 6.4m, width 2.1m; draft 0.4 m, Honda 7.5 hp outboard). I've been sailing for 8 years, have no experience of sailing at sea.
I dream of buying a motorboat and sailing with him from southern Norway to Serbia. I caught my eye on the Saga 27 model (circa 1980. year) with about 50 hp. Or some in that class. As we know, there are excellent and affordable boats in this class in Norway.

Please, in your opinion, could I safely travel by this boat (eg Saga 27) from 'Southern Norway to Germany'? And if this mission is realizable, which route is best for me? Over Germany canals then Holland canals I would descend through the canals of France then the Main river then the Danube to Serbia. Or is this my dream too bigger?

Sorry for my bad English.
Kind Regards
haklberisojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Southern Norway - Serbia

Hak,

Welcome to CF

Don't worry about your English, which is fine, the members will always make allowances for people who are using a second language.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:29   #3

Thanks Pete
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59   #4

Have you any suggestions please, about my plan route?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:22   #5

Southern Norway - Serbia

The North Sea outside southern Norway is kind of rough and I would not try to cross it in a small saga 27 even though they are seaworthy vessels. How about trailer it to Germany and then the canals to the Mediterranean? And you know that Norway is outside the eu so you might run into vat troubles.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:30   #6

Thanks Flode.
The width limit for normal road transport in EU is 2.55m. Width of Saga 27 is 2.7m...
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hak,

You have a couple of options.

a. Norway - Scotland - England - France - Spain - Med etc. There is a south going current along the Atlantic coast and the wind is from the North most of the time so quite doable.

b. Through the French canals - to the med, a well trodden route

https://www.michaelbriant.com/french_canals.htm

c. There is a route from Germany to the Black Sea, but rarely traveled, but would be an adventure. Worth searching for the Black Sea:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-157928.html

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:51   #8
cruiser

…..Actually that is quite easy, main "obstacle" would be crossing from Norway to Denmark, but that is also doable, thee is only 60 miles, so if you have good weather window, and boat is in sound condition and seaworthy you can do it in half a day with that boat (I used to cross Adriatic from Dubrovnik to Bari and back, 110 Miles one direction in 24 ft boat). After that, hugging Denmark coast to Hamburg and after that rest is easy peasy. canals and rivers straight to Danube then velikom moravom and juznom moravom.

All depend how much money and time you (will) have.

I would go with you to Zemun if I have a time.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haklberisojer View Post
Thanks Flode.
The width limit for normal road transport in EU is 2.55m. Width of Saga 27 is 2.7m...
Germany is probably the least expensive and trouble free countries to get an over-wide road permit up to 3m. Costs around 80€ for a month for the entire country as long as the load is under 4m in height. I don't know about Norway but something similar must exist. I would put the boat on a trailer in Norway, then Oslo-Kiel ferry, then drive to Passau and put the boat into the Danube. From there it's easy, just float down the river.
The alternative is crossing the Skagerrak, going down the Danish coast either on the west or east side, then entering the german canal system and following it to the Rhine, then it's uphill until you reach the Main-Danube canal. When you add up the fuel, marina and food costs for the entire trip Norway-Passau you begin to realize road transport is not expensive even if done professionally.
The ideal way to do it would be fly to Norway, buy boat, trailer and car, water the boat in Passau then continue to Serbia, sell car and trailer and return to take the boat home.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantafig View Post
…..Actually that is quite easy, main "obstacle" would be crossing from Norway to Denmark, but that is also doable, thee is only 60 miles, so if you have good weather window, and boat is in sound condition and seaworthy you can do it in half a day with that boat (I used to cross Adriatic from Dubrovnik to Bari and back, 110 Miles one direction in 24 ft boat). After that, hugging Denmark coast to Hamburg and after that rest is easy peasy. canals and rivers straight to Danube then velikom moravom and juznom moravom.

I do not know why I picked up Leskovac for Sabac. You are in Sabac, Sava River, so it is even easier, you do not have to go all the way down the Danube to Velika Morava estuary.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
Germany is probably the least expensive and trouble free countries to get an over-wide road permit up to 3m. Costs around 80€ for a month for the entire country as long as the load is under 4m in height. I don't know about Norway but something similar must exist. I would put the boat on a trailer in Norway, then Oslo-Kiel ferry, then drive to Passau and put the boat into the Danube. From there it's easy, just float down the river.
The alternative is crossing the Skagerrak, going down the Danish coast either on the west or east side, then entering the german canal system and following it to the Rhine, then it's uphill until you reach the Main-Danube canal. When you add up the fuel, marina and food costs for the entire trip Norway-Passau you begin to realize road transport is not expensive even if done professionally.
The ideal way to do it would be fly to Norway, buy boat, trailer and car, water the boat in Passau then continue to Serbia, sell car and trailer and return to take the boat home.

That's certainly the practical and fast way to do it.

However, if I were the OP and if I had time, I would certainly bring the boat home on her own bottom. You need lots of TIME for this, because you will be waiting and waiting for weather windows until you get into the river system.

I would do it not because it would be fast or cheap - it would NOT be -- but because it would be an absolutely fantastic adventure. My boat is not good for European canals and rivers; it's always been a dream of mine to cruise them. A Saga 27 would be a very good boat for that trip other than the open sea part, but even that would be fine in good weather windows. That's a good sturdy boat which should be fine up to F5 or so.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:10   #12

Thanks all.

I have the same attitude as Dockhead. It is important to have a life dream - it is my dream: to sail my boat home
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25   #13

Would i go when is the best time in norway maybe june? The biggest problem seems to be getting to the east coast of Denmark. What do you think of this route:

Yes my goal is Sabac, Serbia. Beautiful Sava river.
My goal is not the Mediterranean.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantafig View Post

The most ideal would be for someone experienced to sail that route with me. Kantafig you have an open invitation to sail with me thank you
Old 10-10-2019, 13:06   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by haklberisojer View Post
The most ideal would be for someone experienced to sail that route with me. Kantafig you have an open invitation to sail with me thank you
Hvala na pozivu, nema problema za navegaciju, 25 godina iskustva, od kadeta do prvog oficira, duga plovidba, ali ko što sam već napiso nemam vremena, idem za Australiju pa to moram sređivati.

...in English

Thanks for the call. No problem for experience. 25 years of sea service, from cadet to chief mate, foreign going, but what I have wrote in my earlier post, have no time for, I'm going (moving) to Australia, so I have to sort it out.

Tags
grass, Norway