Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2008, 14:35   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Isle of Shoals

Did a search and could not find any information on cruising New Hampshire's Isle of Shoals. I've done some spearfishing there and saw whales and some pretty scenery. From what I've found on Active Captain and some other areas, anchoring can be tricky. I'm planning on leaving Hingham Bay,Mass. in late June for a few days. Has anyone here done that? If so, where did you drop the hook?

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 15:43   #2
cruiser

MEMORIES!!

This is exactly where I learned to sail, where I spent my childhood and where I sailed my first boat.

The Isles of Shoals are great. They aren't much to see - you can go ashore a bit, but you mostly stay on the boat.

There are definitely whales and nice scenery, as well as occasional fog.

There are moorings you can pick up (any of the yacht club moorings ending in "YC"), but if a club member comes, you have to move. If you go on a weekday, you can usually get a mooring. Weekends? Forget about it.

Anchoring is tricky. It's pretty deep, the bottom has plenty of seaweed and it's only protected from Easterlies (and Northerlies and Southerlies) in Gossport Harbor. If you get a strong West blow, you have to go around the back of the islands, on the other side of the seawall and anchor on the other side for protection. That can make for a rolly night with swells. Usually, this doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
Did a search and could not find any information on cruising New Hampshire's Isle of Shoals. I've done some spearfishing there and saw whales and some pretty scenery. From what I've found on Active Captain and some other areas, anchoring can be tricky. I'm planning on leaving Hingham Bay,Mass. in late June for a few days. Has anyone here done that? If so, where did you drop the hook?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote