Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 13:44   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: inland passage from Bremerton Wa. to juneau alaska

What do you guys think of running the open ocean/west side of Vancouver Is. on the way back?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 14:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What do you guys think of running the open ocean/west side of Vancouver Is. on the way back?
Go far it.

I have been around the Island at least a dozen times.

The cruising guide by Don Douglass and Dianne Hemmingway-Douglass is excellent. I would also recommend the Hydrographic Service publication Sailing Directions.

The weather can get iffy. Monitor the marine VHF weather and watch your barometer. Between Winter Harbour and Tofino there is no cell phone service. I can get service at the mouth of Quatsino Sound; there I check and download the NE Pacific weatherfax and a week's worth of grib files. The winds around the Brooks peninsula can be awful, but if you go out far enough you can avoid them (listen for the South Brooks weather buoy report)

Must sees

Winter Harbour
Hot Springs Cove
Barkley Sound
Bamfield

As I am teaching at these times I go from Winter Harbour overnight to Hot Springs Cove. I have been up to Tahsis.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 14:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks Jack. How many days do you schedule for passage and how far offshore do you get VHF weather up there?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks Jack. How many days do you schedule for passage and how far offshore do you get VHF weather up there?
I rush around the Island in 14 days. I spend about 6 days on the west side before heading for Victoria. I would recommend more.

VHF weather can be tough to get in Winter Harbour (it is a bit of a radio hole), but once you are in Quatisno Sound or away from land you should be able to get reception about 50 miles out. That whole area is monitored by Tofino traffic.

I should add Quatsino Sound is also a must see.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:09   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Pick up a copy of "A Passage to Juneau," by Jonathan Raban A great read before a Great trip.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:35   #21

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I was on my way last summer but my trip was put on hold due to a kidney stone - kind of like giving birth to a porkipine backwards! (not recomended)This summer we'll try it again - up to Port Alexander for the coho closure - open golf turnament across the bay at low tide. Then to the hot springs for a soak - then offshore and sail all the way down the outside. I hope.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:51   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I was on my way last summer but my trip was put on hold due to a kidney stone - kind of like giving birth to a porkipine backwards! (not recomended)
Had two so far. Gett'n to be old hat. Found out drink'n beer stops the formation. Got to keep them kidneys flushed out.
Old 30-12-2011, 08:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Had two so far. Gett'n to be old hat. Found out drink'n beer stops the formation. Got to keep them kidneys flushed out.
Also; the liver is evil and needs to be punished, so that's yer classic win-win right there!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 12:01   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Newt... good plan to spend some time out there. Commercial fisherman for years trolling the west coast as well as seining for herring and salmon when there was fish around. Brooks Peninsula has some unbelieveable history but very foul ground. Jackdale has more uptodate info than I. There was a sailng ship on the way to Alaska during the gold rush ran on to Brooks Peninsula. Survivors clung to the rock wall until one by one they froze and fell off in to the ocean. Other surviviors who made it ashore were quickly killed by the natives. Aboard the sailing ship was an entertainment troupe bound for the Alaska miners. Several of their cases floated ashore and their contents were traded to indian bands fro the east coast of Vancouver Island. The only way the Northwest Police (forerunner of the RCMP) found out was the inland natives were running around in clown suits. Tracked them back to where the trade goods came from. This little tale came from one of the decendents of the west coast indian band and was confirmed by Dr Borden who started the Native BC Archeological museum at UBC who I used to work for digging in indian middens around the coast. Heaps of history out there, Newt... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, passage