Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 01:00   #1

What boat to live on?

Hi there, just sold the home and we are boat shopping. Found a Jeaneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 and I was wondering if this is going to be big enough for my husband and I and occasional visits from our four grown up children. Also is it heavy and strong enough to sale from U.K. To Australia. I know it's recommended but what do real liveaboards and experienced sailors really think? As to is this boat going to be right to live aboard and sale round the world? Any advice what so ever is welcome... [emoji4]
SailingSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:21   #2
cruiser

Re: What boat to live on?

The Sun Odyssey will do the job, but you will most likely find it lacking in some areas of importance to globe trotting and liveaboard.

Some examples: Storage, handholds, galley layout, refrigeration, tank capacities, bilge volume, etc.

Watch the early episodes of Sailinglavagabond on youtube in order to get an idea of what I'm referring to. He purchased a Beneteau and did manage to sail it from Greece all the way to New Zealand, but the journey wasn't without it's frustrations regarding the boat and it's build quality. They've since purchased a new catamaran.

He had major problems with electronics and the rudder just to name two. I'm not suggesting the Sun Odyssey isn't up to the task, just that there might be better choices for the money such as a used Hylas, Tayana, Halberg Rassy, Oyster, etc. I am familiar with Jeaneau since we were seriously looking at a Jeaneau 54DS prior to purchasing our present Oyster. Our interest changed when my wife didn't like the galley storage space even though the owner of the Jeaneau had expanded the storage. In hindsight, my wife made a good call.

Unlike weekend coastal cruising yachts, liveaboard world cruising boats need to be able to handle whatever nature throws at you on a daily basis. All boats will have equipment failures, but try to buy one which might be less prone to them so that you can enjoy the experience instead of being frustrated.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:37   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

I have a friend that circumnavigated on a 45.2. Is it a early model ,1998-2001? If ive got my models correct these are a strongly built boat. It was prior to Jeanneau going to liners thus it was a stick build and substantial layup.

What I didnt like about them was their port side galley, hard to cook in at sea.

If its the model I think it is, then I wouldn't hesitate, providing it was in good condition to sail it around the world.

Ps. Great sail locker forward and awesome cockpit.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SailingSaviour.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:15   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I have been living and working on a 54 DS for 8 months. It fulfills all of my requirements in having adequate space for owners suite with good shower, as well as 2 doubles aft with decent headroom and heads with showers. The cockpit is adequate to hold a board meeting. Sure it would be nice to have an Oyster or a Swan but the cost would be double without double the benefit or intrinsic value. The DS 54 sails beautifully in any weather you would be willing to sail in. I sailed solo with 25 knot winds and the only reason I was uncomfortable was a reflection of my inexperience in that weather. The boat had a blast powering thru swells. Enjoy your search. Welcome aboard.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

You might want to take a look at this article Choosing a Cruising Sailboat...
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 14:49   #7

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSaviour View Post
Hi there, just sold the home and we are boat shopping. Found a Jeaneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 and I was wondering if this is going to be big enough for my husband and I and occasional visits from our four grown up children. Also is it heavy and strong enough to sale from U.K. To Australia. I know it's recommended but what do real liveaboards and experienced sailors really think? As to is this boat going to be right to live aboard and sale round the world? Any advice what so ever is welcome... [emoji4]
Two vastly different questions here, I'll take the easy one first and suggest you buy the boat YOU want/need for the 2 of you, and maybe a small crew. To buy a bigger vessel than you need (or can handle) to provide space for 'occasional' visits from adult kids is a huge mistake. Will they really all show up at once? Yikes! Unless your visiting kids are gonna crew, put 'em up in a motel. You'll be money ahead even if you pick up the tab!
As to the Jeaneau's ability to sail offshore, while she might not be my 1st choice,passages like you suggest have been done by far lesser yachts. If the boat is well-found and you are conservative, thoughtful sailors shouldn't be a big deal...and it doesn't hurt to have Neptune is on your side. In other words, a bit of luck! All the best.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat