Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 10:36   #1

Secondhand liveaboard

Ahoy yachties,
I'm a newbie and I want to purchase a yacht to live aboard but I live in Australia and boats are ridicullously expensive here. Just about everyone who buys a boat goes overseas. What I'd like is some recommendations on the best places to search for secondhand yachts? I've been told the Carribian and Florida so far but was wondering if there are any others. I need to get a steal of a deal and must not get ripped off. I only get one chance at this. If it goes bad then I'm gonna be homeless.
Thanks to those who can offer me advice, Steve
Stevediveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 20:58   #2

Boat: Pearson 36-2
Re: Secondhand liveaboard

Hey Steve,
I assume you have scoured yachtworld.com for boats in the USA? They have many boats listed. I recommend spending allot of time online searching, sometimes a deal can show up based on the level of the seller's desperation, which could be anywhere. There are probably more deals in Florida simply because there are so many boats in that state. But beware of boats that look nice online and have been used in the charter trade, the ratio I hear is 1 year of charter equals 5 years of an individual boat use. These are often Virgin Island based Beneteau's and Bavaria's.

Very best of luck, Fair winds,

Curt of the Jib
Curt of the jib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 01:12   #3

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hi, while looking on yachtworld.com keep looking locally as I had been planning on going overseas to buy a yacht for a couple of years when my dream boat turned up in Bundaberg, at a better price than I could have bought overseas, fitted out, sailed back & paid GST. GOOD LUCK
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:37   #4

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Also, look to the Great Lakes. There are many very good FRESH water boats that are darn cheap. Easy to get to salt water and as short season and fresh water sailed, these boats are about as close to new as you can get. The marina I am based has a boat brokerage as well as many in the Bayfield,Wi area. Lots of boats to pick from. PM me if you want phone numbers,web site address,etc. Glad to help. Bob
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:40   #5

Good tip BonnCamie, thanks. Can you sling me a couple web address's?
Old 20-02-2014, 06:06   #6

Where I berth our boat is barkers island in Superior,Wi. Web site is barkers-island-marina.com. It will direct you to Sailboats,Inc, their sales dept. John is a straight-shooter and will not bend you over,too far anyway. Another is North Star Marine, I believe. Never dealt with them, but there it is. Quite a few around the Mich. area. Hooper yachts close to the Twin Cities is a good source as well as Crow's Nest Yachts. That is a somewhat nation-wide brokerage and work with the high end client, but again,there it is
Old 20-02-2014, 06:11   #7

many thanks
Old 13-05-2014, 20:19   #8

Boat: Ferrocement, Cutter 40'

Boats here in BC, Canada are ridiculous cheap right now, it's great for buyers
Terrible for sellers, i know a bunch of boat owners that just aren't selling because they cant handle waiting 4 years gradually dropping the price.
hubertstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 09:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubertstephen View Post
Boats here in BC, Canada are ridiculous cheap right now, it's great for buyers
Terrible for sellers, i know a bunch of boat owners that just aren't selling because they cant handle waiting 4 years gradually dropping the price.
That link you sent me didnt work!?
Old 14-05-2014, 17:16   #10

If you meant me, should just type in barkers island marina. Follow boat sales. Best I can tell you.
Old 14-05-2014, 17:19   #11

I am sitting in marina parking lot right now. I am sure there are at least 15 sailboats for sale. Another day like this one, mine might join them.
Old 14-05-2014, 22:37   #12

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Depends what you're looking for. I could sell you a 30' Hartley Tasman bilge keeler anchored at Colmslie for $5000 but you might be looking for something flash. More details.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 14:46   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Fixer-uppers can be had for well under 10k, even under 1k, right after a hurricane in the gulf or the east coast of Florida. You really need to figure on living near the boat for a couple of months, though, to get it right for a passage to OZ. And the trip will cost you a bundle, maybe more than just shipping it. So a local boat might still be your best option.

You might find a bargain in Cabo. Some folks sail down (easy) but get cold feet about sailing back north. (harder) So sometimes there is strong motivation for selling.

My boat was somewhat damaged by Katrina, but basically sound, and I got her for $2k. I live aboard and sail locally a lot, with occasional coastal jaunts of a few days. But I was in the right place at the right time.

If it is practical to camp out in the U.S. for a couple of months and wait for a bargain, you can sometimes find a real steal on ebay or craigslist. Of course it is as is / where is.
Old 15-05-2014, 19:17   #14

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

From my experience on importing a plane from USA, I would not do it again. Buy a fixer upper real cheap offseason and work on it while you are living on it. The right buy will come along at the east coast where you are if you wait a bit. Lots of choice along that most populated part of Australia.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 20:28   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I may be naïve and uninformed but I can't imagine that buying a boat on a different continent and having it moved would be a money saver, unless the voyage to relocate the boat yourself is a part of the original plan.

Tags
liveaboard