Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:41   #1

Put in Charter 3 or 4 Cabin Lagoon 380?

I am looking to purchase a lagoon 380 to put into charter for a few years, then take it out for personal use.

My preference is for a 3 cabin version for my own use, however I feel a 4 cabin version would generate more income and be a better business decision.

What do people think? Would a 3 cabin version limit my charter income by that much?

I am getting mixed opinions from charter companies. Some say 38 foot is too small for 4 cabins, but when I look at boats on charter companies websites a 4 cabin version looks more attractive I think.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53   #2

Re: put in charter 3 or 4 cabin lagoon 380?

My guess is your intuition is right. With the high cost of chartering cats these days, I think people are looking to get as many payers on board as possible.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

But end game a 3 cabin is soon much nicer

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 23:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
But end game a 3 cabin is soon much nicer
My guess is everyone is right. I s'pose it depends on how much I value 3 cabin. Could convert a cabin to storage that's no problem, however the larger shower/head in the starboard side is really appealing.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:43   #5

Larger shower makes life very nice. On the flip side could it be easier to get country led chartering vs four?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Larger shower makes life very nice. On the flip side could it be easier to get country led chartering vs four?

I don't understand country led chartering?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29   #7

I never felt the need for a larger shower. What's the point of a larger shower? My Cat was 3 cabins but the 4th was a workshop/storage area... which was very nice. 18 drawers of storage and a counter top mounted vise!
Frankly, once south I showered on the transom steps about 90% of the time..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31   #8

Some couples like showering together and if its cold out a closet sucks to shower in. Happy wife happy life. Besides a 4 cabin 4 head boat can't be fun to deal w plumbing
And besides it doesn't seem the leopard 38's had any issues in charter programs and they are all 3 cabin / owners version layouts. Ive not been on a lagoon 38 but have heard from many the 3 cabin feels much roomier

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
I don't understand country led chartering?
Whoa auto spell sucks lol. Supposed to be get 3 couples to charter vs 4.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:59   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I'd say a lot depends on where you will have it in charter and what else might be available. How will it need to be priced to be competitive?

Take the BVI for example. Tons of boats. Not a lot of owners versions though. But at the same time, the owners versions at some companies are nicer and have more amenities. Moorings for example has both 3 cabin and 4 cabin Leopard 39's in their fleet. Price is roughly equal between these. If the 3 cabin was in much less demand, I think the price would be lower.

So I'd really look at the competition and go from there. A 3 cabin boat might just bring in the same amount as a 4 cabin, you'll just have charterers who pay more.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:53   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Hi Moonos,

where you want to charter the yacht out? Which area it will be. Will it be a bareboat charter or do you put crew on it.
40Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 19:51   #12

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

I'd like opinions on the same question for monohulls. Most charter ownership programs require the maximum cabin configuration. Tellingly, those that guarantee income always do. A few companies (like Dream Yachts) offer partnership or advantage programs that put costs on the owner but also share revenue. The owner takes more risk but can substantially customize the boat.

I find it revealing that the charter companies refuse to accept market risk for charter demand on owners-version yachts. Makes me wonder if there's a reason. (I think so.)
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I think it's pretty simple. Most people don't want to spend more than they need to. An owners version mono is only going to give you a larger cabin. For a vacation, most people can get by in a smaller space and it costs them less if they fill 3 cabins vs. 2 for example.

there is a market for owners version mono charters, I just think it is substantially smaller.

is probably inquire with the charter companies you may be interested in and find out what the owners version model charter percentage trends to be. If they are out often enough, then perhaps there's room for more.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When I trade time or charter with friends on a Cat, we want to get 4 cabins if possible at the lowest price (smallest boat) possible.

Mom and Dad with two kids on the other hand will likely prefer having a hull to themselves with their own head. My impression is this is probably a bit more common overall.

The other thing to consider is what you want when it comes out of charter either for yourself or for resale. From what I understand a 3-state room owner's version is more demanded. Again, I'd prefer a 4-state room option.

Now that I am no longer stuck with the Moorings exclusively, I'll probably charter a 4-Cabin 38 instead of a 3-cabin 40 next time.

Another thing to consider is if the charter company offer guaranteed income of commission only. If they offer both, their incentive is to fill the boats they need to pay out on over commission only based boats.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27   #15

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
If you are serious about eventually taking it out of charter for personal use, I believe the three cabin is the only way to go. Maybe not the pluses when in charter, but when you take it out, way more value, much more comfort. It's not just the size of the shower, it is also the head space and comfort of being able to easily walk by each other in the owners, the brushing teeth side by side, being able to open the door when someone is in the shower or head. It's like a house compared to a camper. We've spent time on both owners versions and 4 cabin cats in the size your talking... For us, it is a no brainer.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, charter, lagoon, lagoon 380