Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 17:40   #16

Re: Phone Therapy While Sailing

Thanks for the additional information, especially the antenna to extend cell phone range to 20 miles.
To put things in perspective, I have been practicing in private practice(in-office and by phone) for close to 30 years. I love my work and would like to continue. My husband is tired of work and wants to go cruising yesterday, and says he can't wait until retirement age because he is afraid to physically not be able to do it any more. I am trying to find a way not to have to lose a big part of my heart and dream one way or another.
Dorle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 18:01   #17

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

I'm thinking that if I was being treated for depression and found out I was talking to my therapist while she was on a sailboat in paradise sipping on a mai tai it might tend to make me infinitely more depressed. Just sayin'.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 18:08   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I'm thinking that if I was being treated for depression and found out I was talking to my therapist while she was on a sailboat in paradise sipping on a mai tai it might tend to make me infinitely more depressed. Just sayin'.
A humourous comment but to be fair, I doubt that it says anything pertinant about whether the OP can do her job from a sailboat or not.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 18:13   #19

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

humm- guilty as charged. Kinda figured the technological aspect had been adequately covered.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 19:23   #20

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Tough call.

I would say, if you can afford to stop practicing and just go cruising, do it.

Having been through therapy twice and having done some counselling, I also question the efficacy of phone therapy. I can not imagine not going to an office and not having face time with my therapist, but that's just me. No objective research has ever established the efficacy of therapy in the first place, so if your clients are OK with phone therapy, who am I to say.

Doing therapy and helping people is always something you can get back to ten years from now if you want, but cruising can not be put off if you are aging.

I also do not think it's good for a therapist to become attached to their job or their clients, to me the goal of therapy is to move on and put it behind you.

And, of course, going sailing for ten years will make you a much better therapist.

Just my 2c, good luck.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorle View Post
I am planning to join my husband sailing while maintaining a part-time psycho-therapeutic practice by phone and want advice about similar experiences, equipment needed and feasibility. So far I am practicing on the Chesapeake and would like to upgrade to coastal sailing (hubby wants to cross oceans). My questions are:
1. Should I assume that I can only conduct my phone sessions while at a marina or anchored somewhere? Of course I would not expect to have sessions while trying to deal with a gale, but is it realistic to assume that I could have some 50 min. phone conversations while sailing ( with my husband helming)?
2. I have a cell-phone (ok around Newfoundland what's the reach?); existing Satphone has bee tricky in getting/maintaining connection (other feedback?). Would Skype be an option (re: maintaining internet connection, and adequate audio quality, also privacy (and fees).
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Yes You really cannot get decent reception while at sea. the best way to do phone therapy is to book all of your clients on one or two days a week or you could outsource your clients.
phonetherapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 00:06   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum phonetherapist.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing