Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23   #1

Boat: Gulfstar CSY 50
pirate Occupation Circumnavigator - What is the reality

Hi All,

Having been a sailor for many years and Yachtmaster I really want to head off and live the dream outlined in Occupation Circumnavigator (by Lars Hassler).

I own a 46 Cat (UK Flag) and would plan to have paying guests (mainly friends, family and recommendations along with some website driven business). The plan would be to constantly be cruising with pickup and drop off points along the way but no set “base” so not your usual charter business (obviously allowing time for repairs/ bad weather). I’ve done loads of research and the logistics and sailing elements aren’t the issue here, I’m purely struggling to find information on the practicalities such as legalities, tax, insurance, permits, etc...

The “plan” is:
Starting around the Med and doing a loop in the Spring/Summer and then Heading Across the Atlantic in the ARC. This would then follow the trade winds and continue the circumnavigation, cruising and chartering in all the usual destinations.

My real challenge is finding out the legalities around this plan. Insurance, permissions, licences, and even where to base the business and pay TAX etc.

I’m realistic that this isn’t a money making venture but more a way to top up the cruising funds along the way. I understand the issues with dealing with clients, hosting etc (been in the hotel business).

I’d love to hear from anyone that’s done this sort of thing and hear from their experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Captain Ginger Beard
frazerhalliday is offline   Reply With Quote