Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 03:10   #1

Buying a boat in FL

I am new and am looking to buy cruiser 28 to 37 ft. I understand best place to buy is FL. Anybody have any advice, best time of year, places, etc.. I have about $8000 saved and am on fixed income. I have a motor home and can locate about anywhere. Thanks CaptainMidnight Am also new to forums and procedures.
CaptainMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 03:27   #2

Boat: none(fornow)
Re: Buying a boat in FL

I live on the west coast side of Florida, I can tell you there is no "best" time to shop for a boat. I regularly scan for sale ads on craigslist and boattrader and sailboatlistings and see lots of boat in the size range you are looking for. Prices for boats in your size class range from several thousand to the hundred plus thousand range. I really depends on how much you can spend.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 04:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CaptainMidnight.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 04:50   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you're probably looking for an older boat that someone has been living aboard. things are moving pretty slow down here due to the heat .. so i would say the best time is in the cooler months .. starting in october. save some money for a professional survey of the boat so you know what you are getting into. have the motor surveyed too.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:07   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
I am new and am looking to buy cruiser 28 to 37 ft. I understand best place to buy is FL. Anybody have any advice, best time of year, places, etc.. I have about $8000 saved and am on fixed income. I have a motor home and can locate about anywhere. Thanks CaptainMidnight Am also new to forums and procedures.

Florida boats have weathered more exposure to salt air, compared to freshwater boats in the Great Lakes, boats here in the less salty Chesapeake, etc... so "best place to buy" is an "it depends."

Also depends on what sorta boat you mean when you say "cruiser."

-Chris
Old 27-08-2013, 05:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Avoid buying a salt water boat if possible. Michigan has as many boats as Florida and no one has a job = less expensive = fresh water boats.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wow, we really need some more "fixed income" liveaboards on cheap boats in this state!
Better yet, with no experience.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:59   #8

Yeah, I'm not sure that I would say that Florida is the "best place" to buy a boat. There are probably more boats for sale here than anywhere else in the United States. But that means that there are a lot of neglected derelicts mixed in with the decent boats that are for sale. In addition, there are other places where the sales tax is less.

On the other hand, it's a good place to sail, the season lasts all year long, and because there are a lot of boats available, if you spend some time and effort on the search, you can find some very good prices.

You will probably find the most boats in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. Tampa Bay is probably next. Followed by the Keys, Ft. Myers/Naples, Jacksonville, and the pan handle.

Some idea of what you expect to do with the boat, how/where you plan to keep it, and so on would help with getting more specific recommendations. In any case, good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:24   #9

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Wow, we really need some more "fixed income" liveaboards on cheap boats in this state!
Better yet, with no experience.
I assume that tongue was firmly planted in cheek here!
Welcome and good luck with your plan!
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

There are probably more boats in FL that any other state but agree there is no best time. Boating is year round so no down time where people are trying to sell.

There are also lots of boats for sale in New England and several areas the economy is very bad so I would consider that market as well. Fall is the time to buy up there are the boating season is ending and owners are looking at six months worth of storage fees to pay.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:55   #11

Alot of boats in Fl makes it good shopping. Forget May-September... too hot to do anything. Boats in Fl will be sunbaked and lower $ possibly. Is that a better deal? maybe, maybe not. If you want a bargain boat that has been neglected a little and needs some work Fl is propbably one of the best places. If you want a pristeen boat that shines, Go north!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
I assume that tongue was firmly planted in cheek here!
Welcome and good luck with your plan!
I'll refer you to the thread about Monroe county considering banning the dockage of dinghies at a public park in Key Largo.

when there is no where in the SE US to anchor or land a dinghy in 10 years time due to all the abuses, don't say I didn't warn you!
Old 27-08-2013, 10:46   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
I'll refer you to the thread about Monroe county considering banning the dockage of dinghies at a public park in Key Largo.

when there is no where in the SE US to anchor or land a dinghy in 10 years time due to all the abuses, don't say I didn't warn you!
I don't see why anyone got upset with one or two people showering (naked) in the fountains.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:04   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Well it can be a problem in some places but in my experience there's a lot more places where you can than places where you can't.

Think it's highly unlikely that there will be nowhere to anchor or tie a dinghy in FL 10 or even 20 years, but I've only been boating in FL since 1974 so maybe I'm wrong.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 12:04   #15
Marine Service Provider

Go to any county commission waterway meeting and ask them how much money they have to spend removing derelict boats and boats abandoned after washing ashore after storms.

While I'm not in any way against anchoring, I am opposed to encouraging more to squat on our waterways.

Tags
buying