Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 08:43   #1

British Columbia Affordable? Where?

It is my second year searching for a place in BC -- preferably on Okanagan Lake, but almost anywhere on the Lower Mainland or Coast -- where I can put a boat from Spring to Fall to live on, without spending over $2,000 just for moorage, plus the other costs. There is a wide choice of acceptable, even attractive boats for under $20,000, but the cost of moorage, hauling out and keeping on hard for the Winter -- as I don't live in BC -- is unacceptable. Do any of you know of a way -- and place -- to do what I'd like to do, without spending an immoral amount of money each year, which I really cannot afford? The choice of a boat is secondary -- a one-time expenditure -- depending on where I can find affordable survival. Thanks for any info/tips you can help me with!
Ernest
Ernest Skublics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:08   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: British Columbia Affordable? Where?

Have you considered the island. Victoria is probably expensive but some of the smaller places like Ladysmith or up-island like Campbell River offer better rates.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:24   #3

Let's see.... 6 months in the water? So... $2000/6 is about $335 per month. Then you need to store out of the water another 6 months. No way.
How about storing , launching and cruising instead of paying moorage? Still may not work.
Sounds like you need a trailerable boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:32   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Skublics View Post
It is my second year searching for a place in BC -- preferably on Okanagan Lake, but almost anywhere on the Lower Mainland or Coast -- where I can put a boat from Spring to Fall to live on, without spending over $2,000 just for moorage, plus the other costs. There is a wide choice of acceptable, even attractive boats for under $20,000, but the cost of moorage, hauling out and keeping on hard for the Winter -- as I don't live in BC -- is unacceptable. Do any of you know of a way -- and place -- to do what I'd like to do, without spending an immoral amount of money each year, which I really cannot afford? The choice of a boat is secondary -- a one-time expenditure -- depending on where I can find affordable survival. Thanks for any info/tips you can help me with!
Ernest
Where do you live? Only know it's not in BC.

And back to basics. Boats come with costs on an ongoing basis and some things can and will be quite expensive, especially if you can't do them yourself. What do you call an immoral amount of money to spend annually maintaining and docking your boat?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 10:39   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I liveaboard at a marina in Ladysmith (45 ft. slip). The marina allows a percentage liveaboard. It costs me approx. $6000 a year including liveaboard fees and power. We have a lot of boats here that are owned by people from Alberta and Sask. There is a small chandler at the dock with reasonable prices. He also does boat maintenance for a lot of boats left at the docks year round.
Old 27-02-2015, 15:12   #6

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Ocean Falls.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:15   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Harbour Authority | The District of Port Hardy

$16 per meter per month (plus change)
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:15   #8

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Yes for Ocean Falls--very cheap there. Lots of hydroelectric power available. The ferry goes there. It's pretty there. 'Near Roscoe Inlet--gorgeous cruising in the area.

Or, Euclulet, east of Tofino on Vancouver Island. Very pretty! Lots of old docks. Or, Winter Harbour! NW part of Vancouver Island. A bit remote, but well protected and inexpensive--accessible by road or floatplane. Lots of fun every other year with the VanIsle 360 race.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:57   #9

Ocean Falls? I lived and worked there for few years. Yes, I a suppose it might be a good place to hunker down in. Hmmmm ... the more I think about it the more appealing it becomes. All that rain ...
chile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 14:06   #10

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

'Sorry-- I misspelled "Ucluelet", Vancouver Island, B.C.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 14:20   #11

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

If you want super cheap, try Oona River. If you want an inexpensive nice place try Campbell River. Hartley Bay has no official charge at all but probably no security either.

Obviously amenities, access and other services make a location more attractive for some and therefore more expensive due to the basic economic law of supply and demand.

Even less expensive than all of BC practically is SE Alaska. Wrangell, St. Petersburg even Sitka, Ketchikan, Hoonah and Juneau (Auke Bay) have very reasonable yearly rates, decent access by air and ferry and fair amenities.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 16:02   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Your balking at $2000/yr for moorage? What is your boat, a CL14? he further away from the metro areas the cheaper, but if you want the location to be in reasonable repair, you have to pay enough for it to be kept that way. Somebody has to pay for the land the dock is connected to ya know. Right now, a new 30' slip costs about $12 to 16K. If you were charged only $2K is would take 6 to 8 years to break even with no maintenance costs, and there are always maintenance costs. That's just for the dock and nothing for the land it is connected to, that somebody has to be taxes on, nor power or pump out, that you will want and need. Whoever tries to run a business like that, won't be in business long.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia