Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 07:22   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Boats with unpaid taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Easy ! dont buy a state redisterd boat ! buy us Doc. vessel, and use a GOOD Lic. Agent to transfer title to your name in the country of your choice ! they do it all on line and "garentee" clear title, there are many you can get a list from any good boat broker. just athought
I guess so but then the list of available boats in our price range decreases dramatically I would think.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 07:36   #32

Boat: Able 50

Every large US boating centre ( Fort Lauderdale, Annapolis, Newport ) will have a few boat title experts. Ask your broker for a recommendation.

I bought a boat in Newport a few months ago that had both a lien and was an asset in a divorce. There were delays but the title agent fixed everything and removed both the lien and the USCG registration.

If you buy in RI, this is them.
Marine Documentation, Inc. | YACHT INSIDER'S GUIDE
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 07:55   #33

I registered my boat in Rhode Island. It was cheap, no taxes, and I could have done it by mail. They make it easy!
The reg is good for two years. I also happen to be a Florida resident. And I provision in New Hampshire. No marine tax, no state income tax and no state sales tax. Just my two cents.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:19   #34

Would second the idea of using a marine titling service.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 09:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Every large US boating centre ( Fort Lauderdale, Annapolis, Newport ) will have a few boat title experts. Ask your broker for a recommendation.

I bought a boat in Newport a few months ago that had both a lien and was an asset in a divorce. There were delays but the title agent fixed everything and removed both the lien and the USCG registration.

If you buy in RI, this is them.
Marine Documentation, Inc. | YACHT INSIDER'S GUIDE
Thanks very much for that info and link ... very helpful and I will bookmark it.
Old 22-09-2012, 09:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
I registered my boat in Rhode Island. It was cheap, no taxes, and I could have done it by mail. They make it easy!
The reg is good for two years. I also happen to be a Florida resident. And I provision in New Hampshire. No marine tax, no state income tax and no state sales tax. Just my two cents.
Thanks for that info. I gather that Rhode Island is a good consideration.
Old 22-09-2012, 20:51   #37

Register/Flag your boat in the United Nations and get a UN Passport and you will be exempt from any and all taxes the world over.
white rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 01:17   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

You mentioned something about UK registration being unattractive involving lots of rules (am not terribly sure what they are mind ) - but one thing to bear in mind if you go for US registration is that da Gubberment in that part of the world is very keen on keeping folks "free"......that mostly seems to be about folks in uniforms turning up at unexpected times with guns - including to check if you are using the toilet properly (and you apparently need a formal "having a cr#p" plan onboard - and visibily displayed).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 01:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You mentioned something about UK registration being unattractive involving lots of rules (am not terribly sure what they are mind ) - but one thing to bear in mind if you go for US registration is that da Gubberment in that part of the world is very keen on keeping folks "free"......that mostly seems to be about folks in uniforms turning up at unexpected times with guns - including to check if you are using the toilet properly (and you apparently need a formal "having a cr#p" plan onboard - and visibily displayed).
To put it simply he was confused about what is required for registeration against the implication of importation (VAT and certification requirements. He is still confused about the implication of dual citzenship and registeration should he at some point sail the "boat" into EU waters. I gathered from his responce that he knew everything that he needs to know so havent bothered to fill in some of the blanks and or correct some misconceptions, lol.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rabbitt View Post
Register/Flag your boat in the United Nations and get a UN Passport and you will be exempt from any and all taxes the world over.
I am not too concerned about sales tax anymore, thanks. There are a number of ways that I can legally avoid paying sales tax as a non-resident in the USA.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
To put it simply he was confused about what is required for registeration against the implication of importation (VAT and certification requirements. He is still confused about the implication of dual citzenship and registeration should he at some point sail the "boat" into EU waters. I gathered from his responce that he knew everything that he needs to know so havent bothered to fill in some of the blanks and or correct some misconceptions, lol.
I now know that it is out of the question for me as a British citizen and resident to sail to the UK/EU and not be subject to VAT and import duties plus surveys etc etc. I am no longer considering sailing to EU/UK waters, thanks.
Old 23-09-2012, 16:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I now know that it is out of the question for me as a British citizen and resident to sail to the UK/EU and not be subject to VAT and import duties plus surveys etc etc.......
In most cases this would be my understanding but i think that you need to research further. In particular you need a clearer understanding of how VAT aplies to boats and the issues associated with compliance to EU directive visa via saftey. Not to do so may leave you in a position that may mean that you miss out on a good deal if you are buying in the americas.

The "perfect" boat for you would be of EU manufacture, VAT paid that has been out of EU for less than three years, still EU registered ... and so on.
Old 23-09-2012, 18:06   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
As a uk resident vat is due immediately on arrival in the eu and must be paid in the country of destination m for vessels over 7metres . Compliance with the Recreational Craft Directive is required irrespective of age. A post Construction assessment survey is needed as well as potential minor or major modifications.

Dave
Old 23-09-2012, 18:51   #44

I know Dave is right and i am in no way arguing with what he has said.

Which is why if the OP could find a boat that has already had VAT paid and "has not been exported" and with a RCD he would have a boat that could be sailed back into the EU without those expences. Futhermore IF he could find such a vessel for sale in the USA he would find that those things would not add to the market value of such a vessel in the USA as they would in EU.

Add to that boats are generaly more difficult to sell out of there market of manufacture and thus tend to sell at a lower price than in the region of manufacture. Given the American bias for American boats and the many questions raised over EU (and more particuarly french) waranties and costumer service practices demand for such a boat in the USA would be lower than in the EU.

We know that the first major crossing is often the breaking point for many sailing dreams / sailing relationships. Owing a boat and paying slip fees while having a dream turned sour leads to some highly motivated sellers.

Thus my ponit is that given the right set of curmstances an EU buyer could get benefits out of such a purchase that would be lost if a non EU buyer got the boat.
Old 23-09-2012, 20:32   #45

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
A lien search would show any taxes due, but the annual taxation, say in Florida ain't all that much, $110.00 per year or so..
If the boat is I believe 20 years or more old the anual registration is about $7.00. Ours is an '81 and that is what we pay. I wouldn't of know about it if a 'title lady' in Naples wasn't brought into the sale.

We wanted to get the boat 'un-documented' and with a FL registration and she took care of all of that.

We considered trying to avoid the state sales tax, but by the time we did actually move her out of state and back we wouldn't of saved that much money and I didn't feel comfortable trying to get phoney documentation showing that she had been out of state.

If we would of wanted to of kept her someplace other than Florida and if we would of felt comfortable sailing her some place else and she would of cost more we might of done it, but none of those things were true so we paid the sales tax.

When you start looking at boats and talking to brokers they will have answers for you. We were also new to buying a larger boat and understanding what 'documentation' meant and all of that. You are getting some good info here from these guys and gals,

Sum

---------------------------------
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes