Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 18:49   #1

A Few Questions for My Research

How much can you make doing odd jobs around a marina or beach?

This is part of my research and I'm curious. My dream is to sail up and down the east coast, sticking close to the US and not staying in one place for long.

I was thinking about becoming a Marine Technician. How often are they needed and how difficult would it be to get a job as one?

Is it absolutely necessary to go to college to find a job? (Not including being a Marine Technician.) I understand that it probably is on land, but for the kind of lifestyle I'm talking about, is it. I don't want to have a ton of debt that I wouldn't be able to pay off, but all I've heard since I was little is that you have to go to college to make money, unless you want to be "flipping burgers" for a living, not that I'm too good to do that.

How much do repairs usually cost for a sailboat and what needs to be done regularly?

What sort of computer jobs can you do at sea? I've heard that it's hard to get a good connection, unless you were at a marina.

My mom used to work in a sewing place that made bags, quilts, clothes, etc. and she offered to teach me how to sew. Is sewing up sails and upholstery like sewing other stuff? I've heard that there is almost always work for someone who can repair sails.

Thank you and I look forward to all answers.
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 20:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Tiffany,

Will try to answer more or less in order.

1. Odd jobs. Not much. Unskilled labor at the beach doesn't pay anymore than anywhere else.

2. Not exactly sure what a marine technician is. Do you mean someone that repairs and works on boats? If so, you may need to narrow it down a little as boats are complex and require different "experts" to repair different things like engines, radios, plumbing, wiring, etc.

3. Don't have to go to college. My cousin married a guy who dropped out of high school and worked his way up in the boating business until he was captain on a 180' yacht. Made a heap of money. BUT, college sure never hurts and will improve your odds.

4. Repair costs on a sailboat. That's like asking what repairs cost on a car. It depends. Do you mean how much to fix a headlight on a Volkswagen or how much to put a new engine in a Rolls Royce. New engines on sailboats could be many thousands of dollars. Repairing an engine the cost would depend on what's wrong.

5. Computer connections. Regular wifi you have to be close to shore. At sea, complicated or expensive.

6. Sewing covers, tops, upholstery, all sorts of stuff for boats. Takes some skill to do it right.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 21:07   #3

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

3. Don't have to go to college. BUT, college sure never hurts and will improve your odds.

4. Repair costs on a sailboat. That's like asking what repairs cost on a car. It depends.

6. Sewing covers, tops, upholstery, all sorts of stuff for boats. Takes some skill to do it right.
What he said.

3. College helps in lot of ways. There's no gaurentee either way. Nice arrow to have in your quiver. It can hurt,..... your pocketbook.

4. Also depends on to what degree you to make a broken system right.

6. If you're going to go down that road, start with sewing your own stuff and see if your any good. There's some art to it. Don't plan on making a lot.

My wife used to sew and teach sewing. I thought that would help. BIG not the same with yacht canvas and sails.

Sorry to sound negative. Starting with a love of being on the water is a good place.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:37   #4

Thanks

Thanks for replying. Every bit of information helps.

1 & 3. I thought so...

4. I was talking about regular maintenance, but I see what you're saying.

5. That's what I thought. It seems nearly everyone with computer jobs mostly stay at a marina.

6. I really didn't plan on making a lot with any of the jobs.

Okay, thanks a lot. It really helps.
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:49   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Got any dive gear? Retrieving lost or dropped articles (keys, outboards, etc.) can be profitable but hit & miss. Also, prop inspection, unfouling a shaft, etc. inspecting the bottom stuff. Freeing a fouled anchor, etc. all are potential income makers. Can you weld? Stainless? Good!??, then maybe you could get a nice inverter TIG machine and carry a bottle of argon to make stainless repairs etc. if your machine (like mine does) runs off 120VAC or 220VAC you can run off the generator. Just a few thoughts.

Tags
arc, income, research