Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 20:22   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Welland Canal: Any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
We will be launching this Friday and Saturday at Lakeshore Yacht Club. From what I understand all our docks except one are full. However we do have 2 or 3 moorings. We are east of Port Credit and the Port Credit Yacht club, and west of Humber Bay.

Sabre
We should meet and have a rum together, as if I hadn't bought my boat, I very well might have bought yours.

Besides, steel boat guys need to stick together, being rare and exotic and considered foolish.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 01:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
I thought there was a requirement to have three able-bodied crew members when transiting? Or is that just the recommedation?
The Welland requires - (2) downbound (3) upbound.

www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/welland-canal.php
TheBilges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 04:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TheBilges.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 05:37   #19

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Cobourg Marina is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Some clubs in Toronto are open already and others are launching this week. Coburg Marina's a good spot, and is almost certainly open, and is at the "halfway point" down the lake.
Cobourg Yacht Club launched last weekend (April 23rd). Cobourg Marina is open, and we have lots of available space for you.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:04   #20

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Be patient and well rested before you start. I have done it more times than I want to think about and it is a pain. Fastest trip was 7 hours, longest was 20+. You take second place to the comercial traffic and go when they tell you to. IMHO fender boards are a nusiance. Just use the largest fenders you can scrounge up! PAY ATTENTION TO THE VHF! It is really just an indurance test.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47   #21

Boat: Grampian 26

ok, sailed from port dover to port colbourne, did an overnight at sugarloaf, was at the canal at 0800 and put in the system, my friend Hugh showed up and an hour and half we were entering gate 8. We did the locks and was done at 1700.
it was alot easier then I had thought, the two uof us each had a line and fender pole, rode the lines down and guided the boat along the wall with a 4 foot space. We made every lock straight through no waiting, we locked with a carver 35 and was a great experience, the cost was 200.00 CDN/US.
The lock staff were great, and radio was very easy channel 14 was the one we were assigned.
If you ever get the chance to do them, I'd say it is well worth the 12 hours spent and the view and rewards are worth it.
Thanksagain to all dfor the tips.
I am in frenchmans bay for a couple nights waiting on weather, have spent the last 4 sailing in rain 10 hours a day and decided today was the day to relax and enjoy my new to me boat
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37   #22

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

Looks like things will clear a bit for you. I also like Coburg. Nice spot halfway down the lake. Not many spots to stop on the Canadian shore after that to Kingston unless you go into Presquille and the inland route
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42   #23

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Looks as if it will start to clears for the next few days, so have fun. Sailing in rain is never great, especially when the temp is hovering just above freezing.
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31   #24

Re: Welland Canal: Any Tips ?

hoping for this weekend to get going, Toronto bluffers park was also a great marina, there around 40 dollars a night for 26 feet. showers and nice restaraunt, a 2 Km walk uphill though to the main road for provisions.
Frenchmans bay marina is also very nice, and they gave me the first night free as well, 65 for the three days which is great, they have a small business village right there and a 1.5Km walk to the main drag where a shopping mall is, so also very nice for provisions and killing time.
God Bless, for ultra fresh coffee in the am at the coffee shop.
Old 04-05-2011, 18:06   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You're going to enjoy Cobourg, although in a 26 footer you'll need a stiff westerly starting from dawn to get from Frenchman's to there. I estimate 12 hours at about 5.2 knots. Course is 73 degrees true from 4 miles south of Frenchman's, but go a little offshore to dodge Peter Rock reef.

If you can't get to there, Port Hope's a nice place with a pretty industrial harbour.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:11   #26

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
You may get stuck if you try Port Hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You're going to enjoy Cobourg, although in a 26 footer you'll need a stiff westerly starting from dawn to get from Frenchman's to there. I estimate 12 hours at about 5.2 knots. Course is 73 degrees true from 4 miles south of Frenchman's, but go a little offshore to dodge Peter Rock reef.

If you can't get to there, Port Hope's a nice place with a pretty industrial harbour.
Cobourg is just finished with our harbour dredging, but Port Hope is in bad shape again. Don't try to get in with your G-26 keel drawing 4ft. 6 in.
We left Bronte Harbour last June at 0600hrs, and arrived in Cobourg Harbour at 2015hrs. Our G-26 hit a max. speed of 8.9 knots, and had an average speed of 5.9 knots over the 80 nm distance. Hope you have a great ride down as well - your weather window is looking good right now.
As Alchemy says - watch out for Peters Rock just east of Port Hope. Runs out about half a mile. I imagine you already know about that danger since you sail out of Picton.
Cheers,
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22   #27

Boat: CS36 Traditional

A pleasant midpoint, if you don't want to sail all day to get to Cobourg, is the Port of Newcastle. It can be a challenge getting in with a strong S/SE wind but we have been in there with our old boat that drew 4'6". Pleasant locale and friendly marina, from my experience.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
A pleasant midpoint, if you don't want to sail all day to get to Cobourg, is the Port of Newcastle. It can be a challenge getting in with a strong S/SE wind but we have been in there with our old boat that drew 4'6". Pleasant locale and friendly marina, from my experience.
Thats a great idea, I looked it up in my cruser book and would be worth the stopover, have to put that down on the chart for sure, thanks for the tip
Old 05-05-2011, 07:41   #29

Boat: CS36 Traditional

When I was there, they offered a canoe to borrow to venture up the creek that the marina is on. Worth investigating if you have time.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00   #30

thanks for the port hope update, went into coburg and was pleasently surprised, they had a great staging area upon entrance to get cleaned up and somewhat taken down and sails nicely tied, called the dockmaster on Ch 68 was assigned a spot, told me which side to fender. At the slip was greeted by two guys to help with lines as they saw me singlehanded, after they tied the bow, I was inited over for a beer after i squared up with admin. Enjoyed the cold beer and chatted for an hour or so, had a shower and then some dinner. The city is almost built at the marina, Seriously a couple blocks and all the stores and cafe's. The people were very receptive and made it so nice that I have to go back with my wife just so she can enjoy this great little city for herself.
The farmers market was going on saturday morning so I headed over and had coffee and flapjacks, chatted with a few other boaters and around 11 am ( late I know) headed for prinyers Cove, did my last overnight at prince edward bay, but had to go on the hook as the depth was 4 feet so I could not make the public dock.
Another great sunrise and three tacks to my home port.
A total of 9 days from Port Dover to Prinyers Cove, was an awsome trip and worth every freezing wet rainy moment, got to meet some great people and had a resource (yall) that gave info that made the trip even better.
Thanks again to everyone for your tips and overnight info was the perfect way to start the season off with a woooowhoooo bang.
Bill S/V Knotty Gurl