Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40   #31
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Have you seen some of the power boats on the waterways that are encapusalated in clear plastic. Enjoying the great outdoors from the comfort of their airconditioned/heated bubbles. Interesting
that's good LOL!
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20   #32

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Actually, seeing this thread resurrected from the dead gives me a chance to ask a question I've been wondering about. How far north/south is it generally considered safe to leave the boat in the water rather than have it hauled out (esp. if it will be left unattended for a few weeks at a time)? I'm contemplating boats in the Hampton Roads, VA area and wondering if it is necessary to haul out in the winter or not?
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:10   #33

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Many boats in the mid-Chesapeake stay in the water all winter.
You should be fine in Hampton Roads, VA.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16   #34
S&S

The issue is with ice formation not temperature. As long as there's no ice forming on the water where you're tied up, it's fine.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33   #35

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
S&S: I believe it is possible on a cold day that the temperature inside the boat near the engine can drop below freezing even though the water may not be cold enough to freeze yet. This may occur during a brief cold snap for example. The fresh water systems and the engine raw water in the heat exchanger may freeze under these conditions causing some problems.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45   #36
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
S&S: I believe it is possible on a cold day that the temperature inside the boat near the engine can drop below freezing even though the water may not be cold enough to freeze yet. This may occur during a brief cold snap for example. The fresh water systems and the engine raw water in the heat exchanger may freeze under these conditions causing some problems.
True- I was referring to hull damage from ice- One should always winterize systems for the expected air temp.
If I didn't salt the bilges, I'd get a block of ice in the bilge while the water outside the hull is still liquid.
Old 19-09-2009, 06:39   #37

Alright, I'm considering staying in as well and I am all the way up in Newport as well.

I am not necessarily considering living aboard, but rather my friend and I are considering doing some silly winter sailing. We are both young and hot-blooded and apparently sadist, but I think seeing some typical summer destinations not jam-packed with visitors would be nice.

Slip prices are dirt cheap in winter, as was mentioned earlier. I would not want to totally encapsulate my boat, because I would want to take it out on occasion. I do have a trailer to trailer her in and out (she is JUST legal to trailer).

My thoughts are: if there is any water in the bilge, won't it freeze? And in that case, won't that compromise keel bolt bedding? The marine head, the water-jacket in my outboard motor, and a few other obvious fluid issues all come to mind. It seems silly to keep a boat heated 24-7 if I do not intend to stay on it (though I might). If its necessary for all that was mentioned, perhaps its more practical to scuttle dreams of winter sailing and take up pinochle until spring comes.
sandinmytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 06:40   #38

Oh and another thing, I have an impeller for water speed (that is plastic). Seems pretty vulnerable. Not to mention a few other simple fittings. And how do ropes handle getting wet, then freezing? Wouldn't that compromise their material?

That's all, thanks.
Old 19-09-2009, 13:22   #39
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmytea View Post
Oh and another thing, I have an impeller for water speed (that is plastic). Seems pretty vulnerable. Not to mention a few other simple fittings. And how do ropes handle getting wet, then freezing? Wouldn't that compromise their material?

That's all, thanks.
Getting frozen doesn't affect rope at all.
Old 19-09-2009, 14:18   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My thoughts are: if there is any water in the bilge, won't it freeze?
It might though the hull would be the temperature of the water (liquid). Ice floats so you could have a layer of ice on top of the bilge water on really cold days. Should the bilge pumps become clogged with ice you might have a worse problem. It's no different than in the summer when the bilge pump suddenly dies. It's the liquid not the ice that sinks the boat.

Assuming your keel bolts don't leak they should be unaffected. The big danger is ice surrounding the boat can do serious damage from the force of the ice moving letting the water come inside.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 17:46   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Getting frozen doesn't affect rope at all.
It makes it easier to push!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 17:49   #42

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen freezing water do all kinds of nasty stuff (I've worked in construction, and seen some interesting problems caused by expanding frozen water).

We'll see how things go. I am not so concerned about large sheets of solid ice. Around here it does happen, for certain, but its on rare cold winters. Worst case scenario I could always pull the boat if it looks like its going to get too hairy.

Thanks guys!
Old 20-09-2009, 17:31   #43

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
I was talking to the owner of Warwick Cove Marina, thats north of Newport, and he said that many people leave their boats in the water there and he has a number of live aboards that live there all winter. One guy I met there said his Hunter 30 has been there three winters with no problems, and he lives aboard with a srink wrapped cocpit. "what better cradle can you get" one man said referring to the possibility of being frozen in. The Shackleton expedition to antartica, 1914–17. Disaster struck this expedition when its ship, Endurance, was trapped in pack ice and slowly crushed, before the shore parties could be landed. That's the worst case scenario, but have we ever seen pack ice in Greenwich Bay? there have been at least a few cruisers trying to make the North West Passage over Canada and were trapped for a winter, I think the boats were fine. Does anyone know or have any experience with being frozen in. Any way, West Marine suggested, In the winterizing video, adding antifreeze to the bilge to prevent bilge water freezing. they said you can get Bio safe antifreeze. They also suggested using the same antifreeze for the water tand and water supply hoses. Personally I plan to visit my boat at least once a week to do some interior work so it will be heated when I'm there.
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 19:22   #44

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
I don't know guys. Nights surely suck unless you have a heater. That being said, we had a great weekend out on Georgian Bay ( down to 0 C or 32F last night). Traffic way down and really nice wind (racing trawlers back to port. We lost but point made). Fall sailing isn't at all bad. Nights kind of suck, though. Can't really see winter live aboard without GREAT heaters in which case the need for bilge or other heaters/chemicals would be rendered irrelevant.
Old 20-09-2009, 21:08   #45

Yeah. Its tempting. I'm single, and am going to be moving out of my current apartment. The rates for winter slips sure seem nice! I trailer my 25', so I have to take the whole rig down when it comes out (can't just let a travel-lift drop it off with the rig still up). I'm lazy thinking about the idea of taking the whole thing back down again, when I could instead torture myself with cold temperatures. I've got the sailing bug bad, and I want to hold on to the dream well past October! We'll see how things go. I have plenty of time to figure it out.