Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 13:19   #1

Boat: Finnsailer 38
NY canals laying off workers

The NY Thruway, which runs the NY canals, is laying off hundreds of people, including 42 canal workers. Unfortunately, it appears that lock operators are the main target of the layoffs, so exactly how they will operate the canal this spring isn't clear. Better watch this issue if you are planning on using the NY canal system this year.
Old 16-02-2013, 13:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: NY canals laying off workers

Totally political. Even if the state is short on $$ the canal can/should be fee for service. As noted by the OP and the article linked, the value to the economy is way greater than 235 jobs. Lets assume perhaps that they plan to relent before the spring-summer season. This is a standard move; to choose high visibility and important places to make a statement rather than to deal reasonably with the realities of the economy and available revinue. Its the adult version of the childish, "play the way I want or I'll take my ball and go home". Easily handled by sending the appropriate officials home.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:48   #3

My guess is that the Thruway Authority would just as soon get rid of the headache of running the Canal, so they are trying to force the hand of the politicians to move it into another department once the mayors all along the canal get organized and start screaming.
Old 16-02-2013, 13:55   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Looks like our decision to leave via the Seaway might have been sound after all, despite the massive time commitment. I feel better about the fog and the traffic than I would in a lock manned by an overworked and disaffected operator staring at unemployment.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:56   #5

The NY canal is on our sailing bucket list. I hope canal tourism is not sacrificed to politics.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 14:00   #6

Another guess is that the solution will be to raise the tolls and move the Canal to the Department of Transportation, where the politicians get to vote on and approve the budget each year. The Thruway Authority budget isn't under such strict oversight. It would be hard to imagine the Canal shutting down after all the money that has been spent improving it and repairing it after Irene.
Old 16-02-2013, 15:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

My wife and I are huge fans of the NY State Canal System and spent all of August in there last year. We posted an article on out website with lots of photos. It is simply the Best Deal on the Water. We were often the only boat on several hundred feet of free dock wall and saw very few other boats. I believe it comes down to "use it or loose it"
Old 16-02-2013, 15:46   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The NY State Canals have never been a money making proposition. Over the years Albany has bounced the Commission from one department to the other. It has a tourism benefit but it's all politics. Most of the towns on the canal are in decline. That's the thing that struck me when I did my first trip, old factories, old warehouses, all empty and falling down. Very sad. It certainly isn't a transportation system as it was intended when first built, a bit too late then, as the railway overtook it. It is a wonderful trip through upper NY State. Enjoy it before it is gone.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:40   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The NY canal is on our sailing bucket list. I hope canal tourism is not sacrificed to politics.
Well, me too. "Dismasting at Oswego" is a rite of passage(making) for many Toronto sailors. It indicates they've really, finally cut the dock lines.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 08:51   #10

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Perhaps they'll switch to students like the Canadians having been using for years.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:12   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Closing the Canal System would be unfortunate and sad. However, states like New York (and their respective counties) are broke and when employees and/or unions continue to push for greater wages and working conditions in spite of a devastated economy, a deficit bloated budget and an uncertain economic future, they are forcing the state's hand to take the path of least resistance and discontinue the program. This unfortunately is a prime example of an "out of sync" request by workers who clearly don't understand the basics of economics and of government's inability to continue to spend money they do not have. Is it just coincidence that so many of our state and national treasures are in jeopardy because of unfettered and unrestrained government spending and its employees ability to understand that they must work within a budget? Will these bloated and broke state economies continue the decline of their unique treasures and important infrastructures to feed the ever burgeoning cost of state workers demands and to feed the insatiable appetite for costly and ineffective social welfare programs to buy votes? Is the answer to continue to tax hard working Americans at ever increasing rates to pay for programs that drain and destroy our states with no abeyance in sight? These are just a few of the signposts that point the way to an America in decline and an ever growing departure from the values and ideals that once made our country great. Let them eat cake?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 16:41   #12

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Rognvold are you indicating that if a person works for a government entity that they don't work hard & therefor not deserving of a cost of living increase in their wages?
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:00   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Rognvold are you indicating that if a person works for a government entity that they don't work hard & therefor not deserving of a cost of living increase in their wages?
And where did I say that in my response? What I did say, to clarify and repeat, is that a cost of living increase whether in government employ or private enterprise may not be possibile if the entity is losing money(private enterprise) or bankrupt as in the case of our municipal, state and federal government. Where does the money come from? How long can you continue to borrow, tax and spend before a complete and total collapse of the system ensues? The problem with a large percentage of people today is that they don't understand that when you spend, someone has to pay for it. In the case of the businessman in private enterprise, he must generate profit or borrow from the bank to support his business. When the profit stops and the banks won't lend anymore, he goes out of business. In government, as we all well see with the absurd and insane spending policies of our Federal Government, they continue to spend, to borrow against our future and tax those who are the most productive citizens for the benefit of those on the government dole. How long can this last? Cost of living? What about the cost of dying as in our nation?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 06:55   #14

Boat: 1982 Baba 35 / 1977 Columbia Payne 9.6

First, the NYS Canal System is not run by the general fund. It is operated by the NYS Thruway Authority, which is a separate business entity and fully self supporting.

Second, The Canal System will open on time and operate as usual.

Thirdly, the only concern at this time is hours of operation. It is possible that the summer hours will be limited. This means the summer may have the same hours of operation as the spring and fall. However, to be clear, and hopefully eliminate all this drama... this has not been determined at this time.
CaptainKevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 07:05   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The only way to ensure continuation of this incredible system is to use it. Entire month of August last year and we had most docks all to ourselves. What a shame.