Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 10:36   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Lake Superior Grand Tour & Facts

Now there’s a romp down memory lane. Thanks Gord. Small world with you being the former owner of Auspicious. She was (is?) a good boat. I found a couple of old photos of her:

Here moored at Battle Island:

Previous boat at Thomson Island dock:

Coming out of Port Coldwell near Pic Island:

Pulpwood Harbour in the fog (Hattie Cove in Pukaskwa):

Caribou on the Slate Islands:

Oiseau Bay:

Shipwreck on Michipocoten Island (Quebec Harbour):

Sleeping Giant (not enhanced at all):

Our boat in Horseshoe Cover (“The Hook”):

Picture Rock Harbour (near Marathon):

… There’s so many more. I better stop.
Old 15-02-2018, 16:22   #32

Here's a couple of point's i'd like to share. Lake Superior is the most treacherous place to sail on this planet just behind the Tasmanian Sea, and Cape Horn . The highest wave recorded by a buoy in Superior was near White Fish Bay in the Eastern part at a height of 52 feet ! You can take your glass and just dip it over the side into the water and refresh yourself with a cool clear drink of the freshest water anytime you like.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:28   #33

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Here's a couple of point's i'd like to share. Lake Superior is the most treacherous place to sail on this planet just behind the Tasmanian Sea, and Cape Horn . The highest wave recorded by a buoy in Superior was near White Fish Bay in the Eastern part at a height of 52 feet ! You can take your glass and just dip it over the side into the water and refresh yourself with a cool clear drink of the freshest water anytime you like.
There's a great book called Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes (https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Ships-G...he+great+lakes) and they talk about some of the unique conditions on the great lakes. In addition to the large waves you mention, they have much higher stresses on ships than in the oceans. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like three or four times as much. Some of this is due to the less buoyancy of fresh water (technically fresh water weighs less, thus providing less flotation) There is also a phenomenon called the Three Sisters that have been known to break the backs of large bulk carriers.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 08:33   #34

This is Battle Island light house, including a view from the actual light house looking out. It stands 100 feet above the water, yet a Lake Superior storm produced waves so big it broke the glass out of the light house

Old 16-02-2018, 09:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is Battle Island light house, including a view from the actual light house looking out. It stands 100 feet above the water, yet a Lake Superior storm produced waves so big it broke the glass out of the light house
The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too,
T'was the witch of November come stealin'
The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the gales of November came slashin'
When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
In the face of a hurricane west wind

With thanks to Gordon Lightfoot, also a sailor on the Great Lakes
Old 16-02-2018, 10:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too,
T'was the witch of November come stealin'
The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the gales of November came slashin'
When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
In the face of a hurricane west wind

With thanks to Gordon Lightfoot, also a sailor on the Great Lakes
We used to sail over the Fitz’s wreck occasionally (it’s well marked on the Canadian charts). Always set a little chill up my spine, and got Lightfoot’s tune rolling in my head.

Old 16-02-2018, 13:00   #37

I noticed on the lower left side of the chart, it says "Caution. This map not to be used for Navigation." Is that why she sank?
Old 16-02-2018, 13:29   #38

Boat: ODay 322

My boat was a Mirage 33 at that time. It was called IllusionV. It is in Whitby Yacht Club at present.
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 08:27   #39

a few photos from 1998
Old 18-02-2018, 09:01   #40

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Question Lake Superior Grand Tour & Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitaka322 View Post
a few photos from 1998
What photos?
Old 18-02-2018, 09:09   #41

I cant seem to send them.
tech is not my strong point:
Old 20-02-2018, 14:23   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitaka322 View Post
I cant seem to send them.
tech is not my strong point:
I think photos add a lot to a thread like this one.

Thanks to Mike and everyone who posts photos of what is around Lake Superior. Those photos stimulate interest in the place, and show us things few people will ever see.

How to post a photo or multiple photos on CF threads:

I encourage everyone to post photos in CF because everyone enjoys seeing photos of boats and photos of gear helps to clarify communications about problems and helps others help one another with answers that fit questions. When you post a comment, you can use the "Post Reply / Advanced / Manage Attachments" function to add up to 12 photos to your post. It first allows 6 photos, but if you upload six first, you can then add another 6 for a total of 12, if you want, all embedded in a single post, and all uploaded at one editing time.

Warning!
Be careful not to take too long to upload and edit your posts, as the forum software "times out" after a few minutes (and no one knows how long that is, but I suspect about 5-10 minutes), and all that writing effort can be lost. This is a common problem for members who write detailed or long posts.

Safest Method for Long Posts
If your post will be long or complex, or involve original writing, it is a smart idea to write your post on a text document using an off-forum text editor, then when you are finished writing it, copy and paste that Long text block into a new post. This is safer. I know, because I have lost original writing efforts due to the forum software timing out on me, causing a total loss of effort. This has happened to other CF Members too. So, if your post is long, or detailed, or complex, or important original writing, then make sure you write it off the forum first. That is what I do, after learning the hard way.
-----------------------

You can find a very easy to follow video instruction about how to post photos on CF by going to the FAQ here or look on YouTube for a very clear video that shows how to do it. It is easy, but not intuitive. The video is a big help. Here is a link to the video.
https://youtu.be/NW5n8vZM34c

Watch and it is very easy to do. You can also post other types of content (videos, etc.) and photo files of many kinds.

Speedy Tip 1:
I usually post a jpg photo file that is about 1200x800 pixels, because that is what I consider a nice large size for web viewing. Most files can be downsized to about 100kb - 400kb or some larger. If my original photo file is high resolution (like a photo I take with my iPad), I prefer to first use some software (an app) to downsize the image file so that it is smaller and faster to upload. Since I use my iPad for most of my web surfing and CF surfing too, I use a free app called "Image Size" (by www.vsmedia.de) which is very easy, fast, and has multiple options. It does have some ads in the free version, but $1.99 removes the ads. I have no connection to that app other than being a happy user. It works for me and is intuitive and flexible.

Speedy Tip 2:
If you think you might refer to that photo in the future (e.g. Photos of your own boat or boat projects or gear), you could also upload it to your CF Profile and start a photo album there to contain your boat photos.

Speedy Tip 3:
Some people will upload photos to their own blog or website or a photo hosting site, and then use that photo or want to embed that photo in a post. Since I do most of my surfing from my iPad, I simply copy a photo and save it to my iPad, then upload it to my posts from my iPad, or Mac if I am using it instead. In other words, I temporarily have the photo on my iPad, and then after I upload it in my post I delete it from my iPad.

Here is another method recommended by one of the CF mods:

1. upload the image you want to attach to an online service or your own website or blog.
2. use the "insert image" tool and enter the url of the image you have uploaded.

3. Conversely, if the image is on an existing website, right click on the image and select copy image location url or similar wording, and again enter it into the image tool field.

Here is a topic on CF with the video embedded.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:11   #43

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

St. Ignace Island has the 2nd highest peak in Ontario. We anchored on the north side for a couple days. The floating bumper is attached to an anchor release line as it may be possible to get fouled on logs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VC_St_IgnaceIslandOntario2_08-07-2013sm.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	164639  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
St. Ignace Island has the 2nd highest peak in Ontario. We anchored on the north side for a couple days. The floating bumper is attached to an anchor release line as it may be possible to get fouled on logs.
Is that up behind Armour Island LS? Beautiful area. I never actually anchored in there … not sure why. Just shows that it would be easy to spend a lifetime in Superior and never run out of new places to go.
Old 22-02-2018, 12:32   #45

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Indeed it is behind Armor Island and what a spectacular area.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake superior