Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 06:47   #16

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Lake Ontario winter haul options

Mike, I wintered there for only 1 season about 8 years ago as I was moving my boat to Montreal from Kingston the following spring. I don't remember their rates but I do remember them being the least expensive of all the yards that I inquired about. They are really a specialized winter or long term storage facility. As well as storage many go there to do their own refits. Give them a call and speak to either Robert the owner or Melissa his employee, great folks.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 10:00   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
Mike, I wintered there for only 1 season about 8 years ago as I was moving my boat to Montreal from Kingston the following spring. I don't remember their rates but I do remember them being the least expensive of all the yards that I inquired about. They are really a specialized winter or long term storage facility. As well as storage many go there to do their own refits. Give them a call and speak to either Robert the owner or Melissa his employee, great folks.
Thanks Drumroll30, this is sounding good. Do you, or anyone else, know about the depths heading into Iroquois Marine Services yard? Looking at the charts and Ports book, it says the canal leading in carries depths of 6 to 7 feet. Our draft is 6 feet, and we might be a bit lower on the water line as we'll be fully loaded.

Anyone been through this canal or into this yard lately? I like the sound of this yard, but we might not make it in given those depths.
Old 30-03-2014, 12:29   #18

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

I am at Iroquois. At very low water, like it was in September 2012, the problem is not the channel, it is the mast crane. In 2012, anybody 6' and over was dragging the muddy bottom to unmast.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 13:33   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailor View Post
I am at Iroquois. At very low water, like it was in September 2012, the problem is not the channel, it is the mast crane. In 2012, anybody 6' and over was dragging the muddy bottom to unmast.
Thanks Peter. So the canal and general access is no problem? If it's just the mast crane, and just mud, then that shouldn't be much of an issue for us. Any predictions for water depth this coming season?

Since you're actually there, can you tell me their rates (they don't list them on the website). Do you know if they rent jackstands? Do you recommend their service? I've heard good things about them, but it would be great to hear from a current customer.
Old 30-03-2014, 14:34   #20

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger

When I was at Iroquois to launch our boat after we had it brought in from Ottawa, there were a couple of live a boards there. The only thing I found when I was there was with out a vehicle it was hard to get things
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 15:15   #21

Iroquois rate are:
Haul in fall & launch in spring, $15/ft without mast, close to $23/ft with the mast on,
Winter Storage, $19.25/ft,
Mast unstep, $120
Mast stepping, $120.

I don't know exactly with the mast on, I unmast each year.
Old 30-03-2014, 17:55   #22

Rent jackstands, I don't know. They are professional, I feel that my boat is safe in their hands.

Tags
lake ontario, ontario