Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43   #1

Is it Possible and How Would I Go About it ?

OK, I'm heading from Gambia in May 2012 and planning to sail around Brazil and the Caribbean for a while and then either head N or S for the hurricane season. What I would like to know is if I go north:

1 How far west can I sail until I run out of Lakes?
2 Is it a feasible option to hauled out and transported overland to the Pacific coast, and how would this compare with using Panama?
3 Would there be any navigational issues in the Lakes for a sail boat with 2.1m (7') draft?
4 What is the sailing season?
5 Do the lakes freeze over, and for how long?
6 How long would it take to go from say Chicago to Dulluth and would this be a sensible place to winter with with my wife and 2 teenage children?

Cheers all

Dave
CAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Is it possible and how would I go about it?

Hey Dave...I'm no help with your questions but welcome to the forum!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 23:48   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: Is it Possible and How Would I Go About it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPE View Post
OK, I'm heading from Gambia in May 2012 and planning to sail around Brazil and the Caribbean for a while and then either head N or S for the hurricane season. What I would like to know is if I go north:

1 How far west can I sail until I run out of Lakes?
2 Is it a feasible option to hauled out and transported overland to the Pacific coast, and how would this compare with using Panama?
3 Would there be any navigational issues in the Lakes for a sail boat with 2.1m (7') draft?
4 What is the sailing season?
5 Do the lakes freeze over, and for how long?
6 How long would it take to go from say Chicago to Dulluth and would this be a sensible place to winter with with my wife and 2 teenage children?

Cheers all

Dave
Hi Dave I'll tell you what I know. I'm not much help questions 1 and 2. I haven't studied charts of that area. Is it feasible yes...but don't know about other options. 3. In some areas yes. Getting dockage for that deep of a draft can be challenging. I struggled with 6 earlier this year. If you plan ahead and contact areas you plan to stop perhaps this group can point you to clubs or marinas that can accommodate a boat with your needs. 4. Generally May-November. All freighter traffic stops on Lake Superior about then. Lake Erie gets pretty nasty into late October but there are a few decent days. The lakes generally do freeze and their time varies on the weather but usually late Dec-mid-march and I'm at the southernmost part of the great lakes. It is likely longer farther north. If you're planning to spend the winter in Duluth I can't see much issue in that assuming you can find lodging etc.
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote