Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Harrassment by marine patrols in Michigan?

I have read in several boating related magazines and have heard from a few cruisers that the marine patrols in Michigan have been unduly harassing boaters entering and leaving harbors on Lake Michigan checking for registration and insurance. Is there any truth to these reports?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Harrassment by marine patrols in Michigan?

Would it happen to have anything to do with invasive species?

>>> http://www.joycefdn.org/protecting-t...asive_species/

Invasive Species | Great Lakes | US EPA

Aquatic Invasive Species*| Michigan Inland Lakes Partnership
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Checking for registration seem normal, I was not aware that insurance was required in any state. Some marinas require it, some do not. Many marine patrols do a DWI style check point, sit in a spot and check allmost everyone. I wouldnt worry about it unless your trying to hide something.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29   #4

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Normal day in our harbor, we have Police,Coast Guard, Border Patrol and ODNR here. The Police seem to do the most 'pulling over' and its usually for 'safety' (code for DWI, I would suspect). The sailboats mostly get left alone, we are too hard to board compared to the power boats!! We were told the first week here, get your sails up as soon as you clear the finger of the dock and they will leave you alone, seems to be true.

Agree with RapidRabbit, unless you are doing something wrong, who cares? It is their job, and they have to justify the expense of the boat.

And frankly, they have their pick of imbiciles out there anyway, so the chances of them having time to deal with a proper behaving sailboat is somewhere between slim and none.
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07   #5

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Up here in Hamilton Ontario, the police seem to concentrate on the little runabouts that are drifting and fishing. That being said, I still comply with all my safety equipment.

RabidRabbit and RicknSue, the statement "you have nothing to worry about, if your not hiding something" is very dangerous. It is a sublime way of the authorities expanding and broadening the already expansive rules and regulations that abound.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Oh I have plenty to hide, I was just giving advice to the squares. I'm currently on a mission to destroy all christian religions, then I'll move on to corrupt marine patrols. People who beleive in god are a bigger threat than the water cops.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48   #7

Boat: Bayfield 29C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
RabidRabbit and RicknSue, the statement "you have nothing to worry about, if your not hiding something" is very dangerous. It is a sublime way of the authorities expanding and broadening the already expansive rules and regulations that abound.
I wouldnt worry about it unless your trying to hide something.

Correct, Allan. That's spells the end of any free democracy. Ask yourself, who's watching the cops? Actually, I'm afraid Dick Cheney was right about our Constitution.
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20   #8

My initial question was prompted by credible reports of frequent and unnecessary boardings by law enforcement officials on Lake Michigan's eastern shore. I certainly understand the need for enforcement of individuals who are endangering the lives of others but regular and routine stops on recreational boaters without prior cause is another example of excessive enroachment of government in our lives. It is not a justification to say that they need to use their vessels to justify their cost or that if you have nothing to hide "what's the difference." The bottom line is that if there is no credible and "prior cause" it is pure and simple harassment. And, to not be concerned as sailors since they primarily target small power boats is to sweep the dirt under the carpet only to find a out of control mess at a later date. I believe there is a group of Americans who are completely ignorant of our Constitution and Bill of Rights and are willing to be subjected to any offense, whether legal or not, by municipal, state or the federal government. And, as this group continues to grow, our very special way of life is under siege. As of yet, we do not have this problem on the west shore of Lake Michigan(Illinois and Wisconsin) and perhaps it is a phenomena in the State of Michigan. However, this is just the tip of a very large iceberg that threatens our freedom as boaters to safely use the waters of our country without undue and unprovoked harassment by law enforcemnt officials.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
My initial question was prompted by credible reports of frequent and unnecessary boardings by law enforcement officials on Lake Michigan's eastern shore. I certainly understand the need for enforcement of individuals who are endangering the lives of others but regular and routine stops on recreational boaters without prior cause is another example of excessive enroachment of government in our lives. It is not a justification to say that they need to use their vessels to justify their cost or that if you have nothing to hide "what's the difference." The bottom line is that if there is no credible and "prior cause" it is pure and simple harassment. And, to not be concerned as sailors since they primarily target small power boats is to sweep the dirt under the carpet only to find a out of control mess at a later date. I believe there is a group of Americans who are completely ignorant of our Constitution and Bill of Rights and are willing to be subjected to any offense, whether legal or not, by municipal, state or the federal government. And, as this group continues to grow, our very special way of life is under siege. As of yet, we do not have this problem on the west shore of Lake Michigan(Illinois and Wisconsin) and perhaps it is a phenomena in the State of Michigan. However, this is just the tip of a very large iceberg that threatens our freedom as boaters to safely use the waters of our country without undue and unprovoked harassment by law enforcemnt officials.
And who's to blame for that? The voters! Majority rules, right? Who's teaching our kids, what? Everybody is too busy living the American dream, till it runs out.
Old 02-02-2013, 14:47   #10

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Over 20 years of occasional sailboat deliveries on Lake Michigan & Huron and we have never been harrassed by any officials. To my knowledge, insurance is not a requirement to sail the lakes. A marina may require it to use their facilities. Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, mate. Over 20 years of occasional sailboat deliveries on Lake Michigan & Huron and we have never been harrassed by any officials. To my knowledge, insurance is not a requirement to sail the lakes. A marina may require it to use their facilities. Cheers

Matauwhi, this certainly may be your personal experience, but this has become a frequent occurence on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan in recent years for boaters who enter and exit the harbors as well sail along the coast. I don't know if this is solveable since we, as Americans, continue to accept more and more unreasonable government intervention in our lives. As an aside, I can't but help to think of a customer hiring a captain 8,000 miles away to deliver a 30 foot Catalina 40 miles to the next harbor when there is a waiting list of licensed captains seeking deliveries in every harbor on the lake. You definitely have some JuJu going! Good luck and good sailing.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Oh I have plenty to hide, I was just giving advice to the squares. I'm currently on a mission to destroy all christian religions, then I'll move on to corrupt marine patrols. People who beleive in god are a bigger threat than the water cops.

LOL! That made me spit tea on my keyboard.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrick View Post
I wouldnt worry about it unless your trying to hide something.

Correct, Allan. That's spells the end of any free democracy. Ask yourself, who's watching the cops? Actually, I'm afraid Dick Cheney was right about our Constitution.
Sadly, other than Dick shooting his friend in the face, I know very little about Cheny. What did he have to say about your consititution?
Old 25-02-2013, 20:15   #14

Why stop for them - the Coast Guard yes - marine patrols - not so much, I think a test case is in order.
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 19:52   #15

Boat: Hunter 34

Nice to see that paranoia is alive and well. On the West shore I have not seen a problem. Boats are stopped routinely mostly for stupidity, overloaded and not sufficient life jackets, going out in small craft warnings in a 16 ft boat, speeding in restricted zones etc. Basically doing what needs to be done to keep the water safe.
Mark1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine