Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2004, 05:28   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
great lakes summer

It sure was a short, cold summer up here. I can say that it is not worth having a boat in Michigan. The season is much to short for the cost of having a boat.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:50   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Too Short?

Before I got my first sailboat on Lake Ontario I used to think it didn't really add up financially because of the short season until one day I was told "it's the only season you've got" . I've never regretted having a boat here. By the way last weekend was just great. Sunny, nice little breeze. Make the most of it, haulout in 5 weeks.
Old 07-09-2004, 14:56   #3

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Short Season

Yes it did indeed seem like a short season but it was as long as all the others. Still worth it to be able to get on a boat even for a short time. You must admit that it was a memorable one though?? How many times before have you been trash box sledding? And you did get some new cockpit cushions and new friends to boot. Labor day weekend was by far the finest weather and lake conditions weekend this summer. How can you say it's not worth it? You got something better to do?

As far as the season went however, I'll take an occasional short cold wet season if it puts much needed water back in the lake and by my reference, I gained about 14" of water in my slip in the past 10 months. As for hauling out, this is the first time in about 15 years that we're not doing that. About 5 weeks till we point Heart of Gold south for the winter. Boy am I excited!! (Well we will go on the hard for a few days before we leave to paint the bottom and a few other maintenance items.) At least it's not winter storage and for that I'm excited.

Jane and I are driving to Alabama tomorrow for a few days to find a slip so it looks like this thing is really going to work out. We plan to leave about mid October and take a month to make the trip.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 17:32   #4

Better not to haul

Greg B,
Yes the season is a lot more tolerable ( enjoyable) if you don't haul in October. I used to take my boat south every other year. I take it you're not coming through the Erie Canal but going south from Chicago. Have a great trip. Going south is a lot more pleasant than the trek back north. I finally broke down and got a boat down south (Jacksonville) . It's a bit easier than making the long trip back and forth except for the worrying about hurricanes. Have a nice warm winter.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well Greg I must agree that I did have some great times this summer. I would have liked to have had more. Getting reaquainted with you and Jane was a high point for us this year.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:31   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Season

We have a weekly race shedule that starts in March and ends in November in Kelowna BC. If you sail every race you feel as if you got your monies worth. The folks around here that think the season is short usually do not launch until they get the ideal type of weather, so sometimes launch day could be June for them. Same thing applies to using the boat if you only go out on nice days. For us the weather forecasters are always predicting some type of nasty weather that never happens. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 04:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

it sure was a perfect day to sail yesterday! It would have been nice if the summer was more like 9-12-04.
Old 13-09-2004, 05:39   #8

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Jane and I drove down I-65 to Athens AL last wednesday and stayed a couple of days. We were really impressed with the state, the people and the food. BTW, everything comes with hushpuppies. Anyway we rented a slip for the winter at Bay Hill Marina. It's a nice marina with a brand new bath house. Covered slip and all the amenities. It used to be called Lucy's Branch for those of you familiar with the area. Just a few miles from Joe Wheeler state park. We are planning on leaving lake michigan on October 17 or as soon after that as we can get a weather window. It's just a short 60 mile trip across the lake to Chicago but at that time of year it can get tough sometimes. We don't have to get back home till just b-4 Thanksgiving so we hope to have quite an adventure. We'll keep everyone posted

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 07:08   #9

Good Luck Greg

Good luck on your trip. Leaving in the middle of October will be a bit cool. I'm sure you'll have all your woollies with you. Hope Ivan stays away from Alabama.

Tags
great lakes