Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 19:14   #1

Boat: 1975 Pearson 10 Meter
Mast Mate Climbing System

I am looking to buy a Mast Mate Climbing System. If anyone has one what`s your opinion on using one. This one slides up the same track your main halyard uses. It`s just hard to find someone to haul me up in my bosen chair and wait around till I finish my job. Thanks
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 17:42   #2

Re: Mast Mate Climbing System

Easy to deploy, just have to take the mainsail off the track. Safe and stable. The foot loops work well.
dlclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 17:50   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Actually, if you tension it tightly and you are any kind of climber, your do NOT have to take the sail out of the slot. I've done this many dozens of times. Winch it good and tight (or even a hard down haul) and it doesn't move much. You can even climbing it with the sail up, which I have also done underway.

Do use a harness and safety, as with ANY system.
Old 08-12-2018, 18:34   #4

I want to thank you both for your input. My slot is fairly high on the mast so only have to take out a few slides of the main. It is a little pricey but again, I don`t have to wait around for anyone to help.
Old 08-12-2018, 20:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There are other solo ways to go aloft if you don't know. Mountain climbing gear using an ascender, GriGri and harness work well though the harness isn't going to win any awards for comfort. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...44&FORM=WRVORC

A modification of that type of system is the ATN Mast Climber ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast

You can even do it with a bit of rope and a bosun's chair using Klemheist or Prusic knots. https://www.animatedknots.com/indexclimbing.php
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 18:57   #6
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I have a Top climber; the improved version is called the ATN Mast climber.
I find it easy and safe to use, although I'm an old lady. We put a couple of folding mast steps at the very top of the mast as the slings are a bit tiring to stand in if you go right to the top.
I like the fact that you can swing around the mast if needed.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 20:52   #7

Have a brand new never used ATN Mast climber. Bought it for the times no one was around but fortunately have always had someone competent to lift me.

Cheers
deadliest catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:01   #8

Hi,
I have one and have used it a number of times; really good if you have to bring something down then take it up again later; minimises bothering other people.
Only issue could be distance between steps; I'm 5'9", not the longest of legs and I really have to stretch to get my feet up to the next step. Don't even think about bare feet
Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 13:12   #9

Boat: Islander 30

I just recently found a Mast Mate on ebay and used it for the first time this weekend. The slides on the mast mate didn't fit my mast, so I just hoisted it up without the use of the track and tied off the bottom to the mast as securely as possible. As a safety precaution, I harnessed myself in with use of the jib halyard, and had my dad tension it as I climbed. Worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Hi,
I have one and have used it a number of times; really good if you have to bring something down then take it up again later; minimises bothering other people.
Only issue could be distance between steps; I'm 5'9", not the longest of legs and I really have to stretch to get my feet up to the next step. Don't even think about bare feet
Rgds
Agreed about the distance between steps. I'm 5'6" and was really stretching my legs to get to the next step. It's not difficult, just make sure to loosen up the limbs before hand
brandtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 13:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliest catch View Post
Have a brand new never used ATN Mast climber. Bought it for the times no one was around but fortunately have always had someone competent to lift me.

Cheers
How much?
overextendedfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:23   #11

I want to thank everyone`s input on the Mast Mate. I did finally buy one on e bay. Had to change the slides, no big deal. Yes the steps are a little far apart but not terrible. I have to say I used it 3 x already and am VERY happy with the Mast Mate. Very quick to set up. Rolling it up when your done is a pain.

Tags
mast