Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 20:15   #91

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Why do people pay for somebody else's fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
And a repeat offender! Good work calling it out, thank you.

What can you say, haters gonna hate. Nothing we can do about it.

I think people are mixing up hate with jealousy.

Jealousy means you want what they have. It's like coveting something.

That's different from thinking someone "is doing something cool, I'd like to do the same thing".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 22:07   #92
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I think people are mixing up hate with jealousy.

Jealousy means you want what they have. It's like coveting something.

That's different from thinking someone "is doing something cool, I'd like to do the same thing".
Thanks for the English lesson...

We disagree, however. I think it's might be more to do with "I wouldn't do that therefore people who do are idiots" etc etc

But, I genuinely don't care if it gets some panties in a bunch. These people pay for entertainment in other ways and can't see the similarities and how media/mediums progress. That's their problem. I'm happy to subscribe and, in the case of two channels, support. I watch more youtube than tv these days so, for me, it makes sense.

Each to their own
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 22:41   #93

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Boat View Post
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC7...oFn5eMyfTnaA8w

I find this guy well worth a watch, he has lots of good survival info and practical information worth watching, already learnt some stuff

These two trust fund babies however, are a disaster waiting to happen

https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors/videos

The Wicked Salty guys have already had a disaster. Their first(?) boat sank at a moorage or at anchor, something like that. I rapidly lost interest in their whole shtick as they didn't seem to know what they were doing. Kinda how I feel about Uma. Sometimes you're just lucky to survive, doesn't mean you're qualified...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 22:44   #94

"A Boy at Home with His Mom - A Tortured Life, with Sand and Sewage Pipes. A Novel"

hahahahaha

A prudent mother walks down the hallway past her young son's room. Suddenly, her son calls out:

Son: "Mom! Come look at this! It's so cool"
Mom: "What is that?"
Son: "It's my money, Mom. Look at it!"
Mom: "What do you mean? I don't understand. It looks like a YouTube video."
Son: "Mom, you just don't understand. See that top-sirloin steak being shoveled into that guy's mouth at that 5-star Caribbean yacht club?"
Mom: "Yes, and?"
Son: "That's my money. Isn't it cool! In a few hours, he will go to the toilet and my money will then go down a pipe. I hope he lets me see that too!"
Mom: "What?"
Son: "And look there, Mom! That beer that he's now guzzling is my money, and soon he will pee it into the sand, while smiling and laughing at me before he returns to his $500K yacht. Isn't that cool! That's my money, right there, now draining down through the sand."
Mom: ***WHACK!****
Son: "Ouch! Why did you whack my head, Mom?"
Mom: "Because you're a complete idiot!"

idiot (noun)
1) a stupid or foolish person
2) a person affected with extreme mental retardation
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 23:10   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I really don’t understand the anger or envy some people seem to exhibit towards those managing to make money selling their content online. People producing content others want to read/listen-to/watch is what used to be the domain of publishing, radio/TV/film. Now the medium is the Internet — what’s the big deal?

In the past the payment models were more controlled, more defined. An author would get a contract to write a book (or to make it personal, a magazine article). Publisher or producer would pay the creator, and then make profit selling this creation to consumers.

Today the market has so devalued creation that middle-men can’t/won’t pay creators for their work. So creators have found ways to bypass these folk and go directly to ‘consumers of content.’ They offer their wares, and people can choose to pay, or not.

This is not begging. This is not charity work. In fact, those who are successful in this business are people who are highly skilled and talented. It takes a tremendous amount of effort and resources to produce quality content. It’s no different than those who sell their skills and products as business owners, nurses or charter captains.

These folks are producing a product that some people are willing to pay for. The payment mechanisms have changed, but the basic formula remains the same. They are selling product for money.
Please kind Sir,

I blog on this forum quite frequently and many folks tell me my posts can be informative at times and even entertaining. I also post quite a few videos. I’d like to purchase some new up and down LED spreader lights for $5000 to mount on our Oyster 62 in order to prevent other boats banging into us at night in anchorages. Can you find room in your dearest heart to send me $100 USD to help fund our safety project. At present, we don’t have the extra $5000 to pay for the LED fixtures ourselves because I occasionally suffer from achy feet after working long hours as a nurse, and cannot possibly work any more overtime to earn the money myself.

Bless you kind sir,

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 23:17   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Please kind Sir,

I blog on this forum quite frequently and many folks tell me my posts can be informative at times and even entertaining. I also post quite a few videos. I’d like to purchase some new up and down LED spreader lights for $5000 to mount on our Oyster 62 in order to prevent other boats banging into us at night in anchorages. Can you find room in your dearest heart to send me $100 USD to help fund our safety project. At present, we don’t have the extra $5000 to pay for the LED fixtures ourselves because I occasionally suffer from achy feet after working long hours as a nurse, and cannot possibly work any more overtime to earn the money myself.

Bless you kind sir,

Ken
Hey man! ... I wanna help! Hmmm, let me check. "jingle-jangle-jingle". Hmmm, I have a nickel, two dimes, and a penny. Wait! Oh, my gosh. The stamp needed to send it to you will cost more than that. MOM!! ... can I have a dollar? I wanna help my Internet friend upgrade his Oyster 62 yacht.

hahaha
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 23:32   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Please kind Sir,

Sorry Mr. Ken, while I find your content interesting and amusing at times, it never rises to the level of something worth paying for. So my the answer to your request is no. But I wish you luck in your pursuits. Perhaps some other sucker, er, I mean patron, might be persuaded to cut you that cheque.

… See how easy that is?

To be slightly serious, you do produce content, and if someone wanted to pay you for it, then all the power to you . What you’ve done here is no different than any other pitch or business plan anywhere; you’ve presented a product (or the plan for a product), and are hoping to negotiate recompense. You are swapping your skills for income — no different than anyone else who sells their labour or creativity.

I, as the potential consumer, see no real value in what you have to offer. Therefore I do not pay you. There are plenty of products and service I have no desire for, but others do. Just b/c I (or you) see no value in something, doesn’t mean no one else does.

For the record, I personally have never seen any YT cruising or sailing content worth paying for. But this is true about MOST products on the market. There are a million things you don’t buy every day. That doesn’t make the offerers of these products ‘beggars’, even though every ad is asking you to buy.
Old 20-12-2018, 23:42   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sorry Mr. Ken, while I find your content interesting and amusing at times, it never rises to the level of something worth paying for. So my the answer to your request is no. But I wish you luck in your pursuits. Perhaps some other sucker, er, I mean patron, might be persuaded to cut you that cheque.

… See how easy that is?

To be slightly serious, you do produce content, and if someone wanted to pay you for it, then all the power to you . What you’ve done here is no different than any other pitch or business plan anywhere; you’ve presented a product (or the plan for a product), and are hoping to negotiate recompense. You are swapping your skills for income — no different than anyone else who sells their labour or creativity.

I, as the potential consumer, see no real value in what you have to offer. Therefore I do not pay you. There are plenty of products and service I have no desire for, but others do. Just b/c I (or you) see no value in something, doesn’t mean no one else does.

For the record, I personally have never seen any YT cruising or sailing content worth paying for. But this is true about MOST products on the market. There are a million things you don’t buy every day. That doesn’t make the offerers of these products ‘beggars’, even though every ad is asking you to buy.
Oh my... you must be one of those “haters.” If you don’t wanna contribute to the cause or think my cause is worthwhile, some on this forum are calling nice folks like you “haters.”

BTW: What are you doing here at 2:45am? I just got home from work.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 00:16   #99

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Oh my... you must be one of those “haters.” If you don’t wanna contribute to the cause or think my cause is worthwhile, some on this forum are calling nice folks like you “haters.”

BTW: What are you doing here at 2:45am? I just got home from work.
The “haters” seem to be the folks who equate most cruising YTubers with beggars. While there are a small few who simply ask for money, the vast majority are making and offering a product, and are trying to get paid for it, just as you or I do when we do more conventional work.

The challenge creators face these days is that traditional payment systems have broken down. In the past these video creators would be part of the small film and video market. They would pitch their ideas and scripts, and entice producers and studios to pay them for their work.

Today much of this model has evaporate, in part b/c of the devaluation of content on the Internet. But this same new medium allows creators to bypass traditional gatekeepers, so they can sell their wares directly to consumers.

Today’s YT is not unlike an open market where the vendors have their wares out on display, and consumers can pick what they like.

BTW, it's only 2345 (actually, 0015 now) here — no way am I wintering in Newfoundland I’m living the good life over here in the “Florida of Canada”.
Old 21-12-2018, 00:33   #100

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I find these discussions very interesting, mostly because of the changing world we live in.

I’ve been boating and sailing in Florida for almost a quarter century, I never once thought that I could film my self and make a single penny from it.

Apparently, someone did….. I ask myself, when did this come about? When did twenty something’s decide they could sail around, film themselves and make some money from it?? And who would pay for it??
I guess I wasn’t paying attention. If I would have recorded some of the things that I have seen and also have lived through, who knows, maybe I would also be a youtube sensation………

Anyway, some observations. Mega hit TV shows like M.A.S.H., Cheers, Seinfeld and many others, all run for many years and then come to an end. Why? Because the content gets old. How many youtube videos will the public need to see of someone anchoring up to some beach before all this gets old……….. Barring boobs and bikinis would lead to a much faster demise.

And then there is this part of the equation that is fascinating. The content producers are placing their content on platforms they have no control over. A single policy change from youtube or patreon, and there goes your income. The latest political controversy over at patreon proves that. Also, didn’t youtube recently decide that you couldn’t monetize your channel unless you had one thousand subscribers and 4000 hours of views??

Five or six years ago most of this didn’t exist, five or six years from now, it probably won’t either………
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 00:56   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I find these discussions very interesting, mostly because of the changing world we live in.

I’ve been boating and sailing in Florida for almost a quarter century, I never once thought that I could film my self and make a single penny from it.

Apparently, someone did….. I ask myself, when did this come about? When did twenty something’s decide they could sail around, film themselves and make some money from it?? And who would pay for it??
I guess I wasn’t paying attention. If I would have recorded some of the things that I have seen and also have lived through, who knows, maybe I would also be a youtube sensation………

Anyway, some observations. Mega hit TV shows like M.A.S.H., Cheers, Seinfeld and many others, all run for many years and then come to an end. Why? Because the content gets old. How many youtube videos will the public need to see of someone anchoring up to some beach before all this gets old……….. Barring boobs and bikinis would lead to a much faster demise.

And then there is this part of the equation that is fascinating. The content producers are placing their content on platforms they have no control over. A single policy change from youtube or patreon, and there goes your income. The latest political controversy over at patreon proves that. Also, didn’t youtube recently decide that you couldn’t monetize your channel unless you had one thousand subscribers and 4000 hours of views??

Five or six years ago most of this didn’t exist, five or six years from now, it probably won’t either………
All employment, investment etc carries risk. Some more than others. Some people, with more experience in certain fields, would assess risk to be lower than those on the outside looking in. Some people have zero clue.

The reality is some youtubers are living the dream. They're earning good money and are out there sailing. Some with heavily discounted catamarans! Ermagerd! And that upsets some people. Ultimately, that's amusing and fodder for psychologists. Youtubers have been making money for a lot longer than the last 5 years and will do so for a lot longer than the next five years. It's simple supply and demand.

Some youtubers are not living the dream ... it's like any other market where those that produce something that others want will earn coin for it. Others won't. Again, simple supply and demand. This isn't addressed at you, Davy, but some spectators who moan and whinge and carry on, earn zip. In all senses of that word.

As with all forums, the ignore function is very liberating. I've made recent use of it so this thread appears somewhat disjointed to me. But that's a beautiful thing
Old 21-12-2018, 01:31   #102

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Youtubers have been making money for a lot longer than the last 5 years and will do so for a lot longer than the next five years. It's simple supply and demand.
Youtube started paying content providers more than five years ago, true. However, patreon was founded in 2013, just five years ago............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:55   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Youtube started paying content providers more than five years ago, true. However, patreon was founded in 2013, just five years ago............
So, I'm correct. Thanks.

My main point being that there will be naysayers, regardless, but google didn't buy youtube for $1.65bn in 2006, and spend a bucket load integrating it into their other platforms as a vanity project. It's one of, if not the, biggest, monetised, content platforms in the world. No analyst focused on these things is predicting the demise of youtube in the next five years. Which is the only way people earning money through the platform will stop. It will be bigger with more content.

Content providers will come and go, sure, but there will always be a place for the sailing type of content on youtube. No amount of chirping from the cheap (read: free) seats is going to change that, IMO. So there's hope for the naysayers and time for them to learn some video editing skills, spend some coin on decent cameras/drones etc and put some skin in the game. See how they get on
Old 21-12-2018, 01:57   #104

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Wow, lots of jalousity and h8 out there.

I like YT and videos, I watch, like and subscribe to every channel I stumble upon, it costs me a mouse click.

I even enjoy blocking the ads by an add filter - but it gets harder over time. Even been spammed by adds, I do laugh and I am happy knowing that this stupid company with useless products will be ripped off by Google to pay for my entertainment watching the videos AND paying for the yacht of this youtubers in bikinis without selling a single unit to me or anyone else watching the channel. How cool is that? And the more people watch, the earlier this companies will run out of business because of the rising in advertizing costs. Another benefit is, the adds create adversity to the products and the companies behind because they are disturbing you with ads when watching the videos, what canalizes your hate towards them. Win -win if you ask me!

Nobody forces you to join Patreon btw, you pay enough with your life time watching the videos. But you are free to donate or even make them a recurring reliable income if you feel the urge based on created content, and you have the option to withdraw your contribution at any time. You even can win a free statist role as guest on board in one of their videos, a boat charter is very expensive - so it is like a lottery game subscription.

No need to hate the youtubers, they just play the system and use the opportunities like anyone else no matter what he or she is doing for living, videography is a very time consuming business too that distracts from enjoying the sun.

But keep bashing, its X-mas time, let it out!
Old 21-12-2018, 02:28   #105

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36 ft

I can't believe I am reading all this, if you don't like it don't watch it I love sailing here in the UK and enjoy watching others sailing when I am stuck at home, if I want I can contribute to it or not. In the UK we have to pay for a TV licence ( i don't actually because I am over 75) but we dont get TV programs on a pay for it if we like it.
It is strange that those who apparently don't like watching these videos feel a need to say so instead of turning them off, there are plenty of other stuff you can watch.
They say there is no such thing as bad advertising, i wonder how many people having seen this thread are now watching paying & enjoying the very videos you hate so much.
Mike
Mike Paget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun