Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 07:50   #211

Boat: not yet....
I just read all 14 pages....(im not a perv lookin for happy sock pictures!!!) It's amazing...when I get my boat...I get to be nekkid!!! just not now, it's 5c right now cold weather makes things contract.
funny story about my first month in my house, the first month we were here, mid July. it's hot in HK in July, so sleeping wear is a bare minimum. Me thinking that I have a balcony I can have my morning coffee and smoke outside. (2 story village house) Well...one month later the police show up telling me I cant do this and that and need to have clothes on. (I was in boxers every morning...mostly) turns out someone complained...not the grumpy old lady my wife and I thought it was...(she was always watering her garden in the morning)
it was the 42 year old guy neighbor that thought it was offensive that I was scratching my @$$ having a coffee and smoke while having next to nothing on.
jbxtr1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 14:04   #212

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Are you referring to the recent press reports that those using sunblock may be at more risk? Whilst sunblock may block UVA and UVB, not all creams are 'sunblock'. Those who are 'sunblocked' and beleiving that they are safe because of it are unwittingly causing themselves problems whereas those with no protection and some common sense stay out of the sun or only expose themselves for a short time.

Then there are the issues of chemical breakdown within the creams themselves as UV acts on them.

Wikipedia has a couple of articles, but here's what seems to be the main one

Sunscreen controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No I was not more to do with not getting burnt rather than mild tanning when your young and the body becoming accustomed to the sun over a long period. Fair skin no sun block etc are NOT recommended
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 17:36   #213
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
On warmer days we tend to sail nude, but always with the 30+ on, kids included. Was a more practical option rather than sweat drenched clothes and constantly washing them.
My wife died as a result of breast cancer, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with her sun exposure on the boat through time, but not a sign of Melanoma, we all get checked head to toe twice a year, just in case.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 09:35   #214

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Captn_bill, methinks you have never had a friend or loved one die of melanoma.

And she wasn't even a sun worshiper, just very fair skinned, living here in Australia. How I wish she had used sunblock in her youth!!

Rob.
I am sorry for your loss. Nothing in my post was meant to say I am promoting irresponsible sun exposure. I'm just saying the "science" isn't settled yet. The statement that ,"she wasn't a sun worshiper", fits what I was saying.

Skin cancer rates amoung locations where people live most of their lives mostly uncovered in the sun should have skin cancer rates several times those of colder climates, that spend 9-10 months out of the year completely covered head to foot. BUT they don't. As far as I can tell the highest risk are those who are fair skinned, and/or spend excessive amounts of time in the sun only a few times per year.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:03   #215
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Skin cancer rates amoung locations where people live most of their lives mostly uncovered in the sun should have skin cancer rates several times those of colder climates, that spend 9-10 months out of the year completely covered head to foot. BUT they don't. As far as I can tell the highest risk are those who are fair skinned, and/or spend excessive amounts of time in the sun only a few times per year.
My feeling is you should look at the life long diets of the 'folks who live in the sun'... not the recently moved ex-pats who probably still maintain the 'Fry and StodgeDiet' of back home.... but life long natives/caucasians and the local diet...
most of its packed with anti cancer goodies in the herbs and spices... fresh food not tv dinners and Big Mac's.... you are what you eat....
Its like smoking and complaining when your lungs collapse on you....
PS... I smoke knowing the risk very well...

1. In vitro and epidemiological studies have demonstrated a potential link between chronic inflammation and cancer. Herbs and spices intake, especially in therapeutic dosages, may help decrease inflammation.
2. Important mechanisms in cancer prevention include attenuation of free radical formation, removal of radicals before damage occurs, repair of oxidative damage, elimination of damaged molecules, and the prevention of mutations. Many culinary herbs and spices, for example, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon, basil, cloves, are inherently high in antioxidant activity measured in vitro.

3. Several spices, or their active ingredients, have been evaluated for their anticancer potential using intact animal models. Spices and herbs have been shown to prevent or delay carcinogenesis in multiple organ sites.

4. Some spices and herbs have been shown to inhibit carcinogenesis by altering detoxifying enzymes. Mechanistic studies have found that garlic can prevent tumor initiation and promotion by altering the ratios of phase I and phase II liver enzymes.

5. There are emerging data in several areas to suggest that a variety of culinary herbs and spices reduce the risk of cancer. However, there is very little evidence from human studies in this area. In addition, human data on dose–response and biochemical mechanism are largely unavailable. Better designed epidemiological and intervention studies are clearly needed in this area.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:21   #216
cruiser

In the drive to scare the living hell out of everyone so as to generate news traffic, research grant $$, and sell sunblock so much noise is generated one can't hear oneself think. Always look at who is funding any "research study" and factor that into your reaction/choices.

LACK of sun exposure is sending the rates of mental depression sky rocketing which of course also sells anti-depressants and expensive mental therapy. Too much sun might kill you as will a depression induced suicide.

One must use a little common (uncommon?) sense in this matter.

So if I'm anchored next to you and you are a viewable lady by all means enjoy some sun. And I will do you the favor of remaining mostly clothed.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:42   #217

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its like smoking and complaining when your lungs collapse on you....
PS... I smoke knowing the risk very well...
A few year back they found "spots" on my lungs and I hadn't smoked in decades. Don't know if the "studies" are true but you won't find me near cigars, cigarettes or people smoking them, just to be safe.

Scared the crap out of me, now I'm moving on to a heart healthy life style.

With my luck, I'm due to get hit by a bus.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:43   #218
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

There's no money in researching spices/herbs/diet.... to freely available for self administration... at least it is until folks like Monsanto and other GM boyo's get their hands on the 'Seed Management' then watch the 'Discoveries' suddenly appear and watch the prices of Tumeric, Cloves etc go through the roof....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-01-2011, 10:47   #219

Boat: 26' Westerly Centaur SV Sea Gamin
Sailing is one of the "personal rewards" like flying. Attire is dictated be weather conditions and location. Away from the dock and shore who would know or care what you are doing. I know there is always someone with a telescope and camera, they are peeping Toms!

You mind is like a parachute, it will not function unless it is open.
Sea_Gamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:53   #220
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
A few year back they found "spots" on my lungs and I hadn't smoked in decades. Don't know if the "studies" are true but you won't find me near cigars, cigarettes or people smoking them, just to be safe.

Scared the crap out of me, now I'm moving on to a heart healthy life style.

With my luck, I'm due to get hit by a bus.
Khagan... methinks the anti smoking lobby are run by other interests than health of the masses... over here they keep banging the drum about Asthma being on the increase due to us smokers... my son never suffered from asthma... its just another stick to beat you round the head with..
Also its kinda funny that as tobacco sales go down and more folks stop smoking the Asthma rate keeps rising...
But Shoot... it could'nt be all these diesel fumes and petrol fumes we breath... and the kids in their trendy exhaust level buggies bought by doting loving parents..
When your born the 'program' kicks in... but like all things sooner or later the game ends... no winners no losers... just those who lived for it all and those who did not... stop kidding yourself your in control....

Old 18-01-2011, 11:01   #221
cruiser

i have a laundry list of issues, gastro, ortho, nuero, and skin, but, i will not give up eating the foods i love or crave...

I watched my father die of cancer, mouth/tongue, and stomache.. i watched him cry while smelling the foods around him, and worst, i saw him cry while eating a Nathan's hot dog, as he couldnt taste it anymore.. he waited just a little too long to break the rules...

after that, he gave up...

i will not give up, nor will i give up the foods and activities that i need, and love..
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:10   #222
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Berg.. I've been bronchial all my life.... when in the city.. like now... I suffer from a bad cough and all the crap with it.. also colds/flu, and dry skin...
Out on the water a fews days and wow... my coughs nearly gone.. skins improving fast with the clean air and no more bugs to catch from sick people...
When you get your boat make sure your marina has the smut city downwind...

Old 18-01-2011, 11:25   #223
cruiser

its funny that my step father had emphazema but they reccomended he move to L.A. apparently dry air is good for that? but the smog was miserable...

My skin issues are basil cell carcinoma so i am not sure the move will be the best idea for that situation, but, i will try to get the last couple spots that came up within the last year removed before i leave or at least soon...

basil cell carcinoma isnt the bad bad cancer... it is more of an annoyance.. but, it is a good indicator of how my skin reacts to uv

as for wind patterns.. i have a lot to learn... I hope to make a good / lucky guess as to where i end, not sure i will be able to factor in wind direction or city pollution in an area that i dont even know has a 'city', at least not in the manner i know cities to exist, i.e. millions or hundreds of thousands....

Right now, CL is dictating where i end up... kinda sad, but I have no other options...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:50   #224
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Berg the last few years I've started bruising very easily on my forearms and developed a sorta growth on the back of my hands and it grew... first my left hand a coupla years back... and this summer the same on my right hand... about the size of a dollar coin and tender with hard dry skin and swollen like a hard saltwater boil.
Remedy... a sharp knife to cut/scrape away the dead skin till it bleeds then a paste of Tumeric covered with a large plaster... moisten plaster every day and replace if/when needed for 7 days....
1 month later its gone without a trace...
Both hands are currently free of blemishes...
Don't ask me what it was... don't do doctors unless somethings broken beyond my repair

Old 18-01-2011, 11:58   #225

Oddly enough, given recent postings on this thread, this story appeared appeared in the national press today - a case of too much sunblock.

Girl suffers vitamin D deficiency because mother covers her in too much suncream | Mail Online

"
But experts said Tyler was one of a growing number of children found to be suffering from the condition or associated vitamin deficiencies attributed to a combination of less active modern lifestyles and a tendency to cover up more in the sun.

Tyler struggled in severe pain for years before her problem was eventually diagnosed in November, after tests were carried out to establish why the schoolgirl was struggling to recovery properly from an unrelated operation on her leg."

Like many things, excess in either direction is not good. Moderation in all things????
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail