Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 07:11   #1

Cruisers with well cut hair

Looking through blogs and pictures there are cruisers that maintain nice hair cuts everywhere: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, the Med, etc. Having cruised for four years, we've found that the only time for haircuts would be when we are visiting our home base. But sometimes intervals between these visits are too long to maintain a nice short haircut. How do people do it?!

Do you go to a hair dresser of whatever port you happen to be in? Or does your other half cut your hair? What about his/her hair then?

It would be lovely to hear from people who actually maintain [or used to maintain] a haircut. We ourselves can give you multiple agruments why not to maintain a haircut, so that's not what I'm interested in.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 07:55   #2

Boat: Irwin 42
Re: Cruisers with well cut hair

I'm a hair dresser & I cut our crews hair and my own. When cruising, I will mention to other cruisers what my profession is. Sometimes on the cruiser nets someone will announce that they are a hair dresser. You can call them back or visit their boat to discuss services.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:41   #3

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264

I keep my hair real short now that Im approaching the big 40 and Im fat. If I kept it like when I was younger I could work in vegas as a Meatloaf impersonater! So I keep it short for practical reasons these days and will get it cropped just before an anticapted trip and even if its a few months until the next cut my hair is still pretty short and manageable. Feel sorry for all the ladies with long hair trying to deal with that and cruise.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:48   #4

I used a pair of electric clippers and just used the 3/8" standoff. Just kept it peeled right off.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:48   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Does not everyone just use the Flow-Bee?

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:54   #6

Boat: 1980 Vagabond 47

Got my Flowbee yesterday, but wait...they doubled the order!
S.V.Arebesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:54   #7

Boat: Nassau 34

Believe it or not I do, have been using a flow-bee or similar for the past 12 years.. works great.

When I was cruising solo I had the flow-bee and a small 12volt vacuum cleaner- together made giving myself a haircut really easy and fast. I was actually filmed in the Azores giving Paul Shard a Flow-bee haircut and then featured on one of their TV sailing shows it worked so great.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:02   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep my hair long and tied up and will hurt anyone trying to cut it....is easier for me than when i have short hair, as i have to do stuff to mine when short, or i scare the world........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 09:10   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

If I want to preserve my hair long, I usually wear it drawn back and clubbed or cued in 18th century fashion to keep it out of the way and in less danger from getting caught up in blocks and tackle. Otherwise, and often in summer, I cut it short into a sort of pixie cut. That makes it much easier to keep clean, and I can go a long time between cuts (and I can usually keep it trimmed myself).
Old 13-04-2012, 09:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've been cutting my own hair with a pair of scissors forever. Get a good pair of scissors and just grab hold of a bunch of hair and snip to length I want. You'll get the feel for it and get a good looking haircut almost immediately. Don't use the long barber shears. Have a pair of smallish shears that I picked up at a beauty supply store.

Time involved for cutting has gone down over the years as area needing trimming has decreased. Have always hated getting butchered by barbers/stylists, both hair and wallet. Cut my hair the way I want it. Don't have to wait for the hair to grow out to hide a barbers efforts.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:13   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i see so many ladies with bad haircuts looking like men when sailing---i dont know where these ladies got the idea they SHOULD cut their hair for cruising, but they look horrific. mebbe a stylist would be able to assist some of these ladies to look less like men and more like ladies.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:28   #12

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i keep my hair long and tied up and will hurt anyone trying to cut it....is easier for me than when i have short hair, as i have to do stuff to mine when short, or i scare the world........
I totally agree . A couple of years ago while crusing my wife started cutting my hair or should I say trimming the ends a little, now after 3 years my hair is 6 inches below my sholders and is getting easier to keep pulled back and or braded and it's lots easier to keep unless I want to keep a shaved head like white supremous types. The only drawback is guy's my age ( 62 ) are so jealous of a full head of hair it's hard to make friends or so my wife tells me.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I totally agree . A couple of years ago while crusing my wife started cutting my hair or should I say trimming the ends a little, now after 3 years my hair is 6 inches below my sholders and is getting easier to keep pulled back and or braded and it's lots easier to keep unless I want to keep a shaved head like white supremous types. The only drawback is guy's my age ( 62 ) are so jealous of a full head of hair it's hard to make friends or so my wife tells me.
I am 47 and have no gray and a head full of hair and I have people ask what I put on it to hide the gray...when they learn it is natural they seem to get a bit put off..one guy told me he was jealous because I had no kids,no wife,no bills and a lot of thick black hair...ok...must be a big deal to some folks...I never think about it or stress over such things,maybe thats why its not gray...lucky me...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:48   #14

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I am 47 and have no gray and a head full of hair and I have people ask what I put on it to hide the gray...when they learn it is natural they seem to get a bit put off..one guy told me he was jealous because I had no kids,no wife,no bills and a lot of thick black hair...ok...must be a big deal to some folks...I never think about it or stress over such things,maybe thats why its not gray...lucky me...DVC
Not jealous here but a little gray around the edges
Old 13-04-2012, 10:54   #15

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Same boat, age 59, no kids or wife, brown hair 1/2 way down my back in a pony tail. The beard is another story, keep it trimmed and is mostly gray. Explain that. Maybe hair goes gray from the fear of being cut?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote