Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 13:21   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Motorcycles and sailboats?

Lets see, I live and cruise on a small sailboat (without a dodger or Bimini mind you) and my only motorized land transportation is an old motorcycle.

Alas it will not fit on my boat. Oddly enough, I never worry about being rational at all .
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:35   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Why doesn't everyone just mellow out. Let's go back to talking about something we all agree on like politics, religion, anchors, guns and multihulls. (oops, I meant to say monohulls).
Old 10-04-2012, 13:56   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

jef, the alternatives are what? A Segway or a mule?

How many taxis can you call for the price of a motorbike, anyhow?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:24   #19

I dated a Mule in High school, she sure hated sailboats.......hahaha.... sorry couldnt help myself.
Smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:46   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As to the original question, the saltwater will quickly destroy most motorcycles. The chain will quickly be a mass of rust, no matter what you do, same with the brake disks, and none of the aluminum bits are particularly corrosion resistant. Cables will soon bind. The only way to do it long term would be to never go offshore and constantly wash it with freshwater. Having said that, I saw all sorts of bikes lashed on deck for the several hundred miles between Colombia and Cartagena down in the Caribbean, but that would only be for a few days. I personally think that getting anything off and on the boat that weighs say 400 lbs and up would be a nightmare, and it would pretty much eliminate anchoring out, which is what I prefer to do. Not sure where you plan on going, but I would certainly consider purchasing a motorcycle through Craigs List and using it while I was based somewhere like Florida, maybe moving it via land to my next destination occasionally, or putting it in a storage shed for awhile. I just think that keeping one onboard would not work long-term on any boat too small to not have a dedicated storage space where it would be protected from the weather. There's another thread around here someplace where those of us who both ride and sail have posted about our bikes.
Old 10-04-2012, 21:59   #21

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab
Why doesn't everyone just mellow out. Let's go back to talking about something we all agree on like politics, religion, anchors, guns and multihulls. (oops, I meant to say monohulls).
Couldn't have put this better myself..
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:12   #22

This thread inspired me to look into this again and I think I've found the best boat bike I've ever seen: http://www.motopeds.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 22:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
This thread inspired me to look into this again and I think I've found the best boat bike I've ever seen: Motoped Santa Cruz
I was leaning towards a husaberg Fe370, but I have to say that gives me pause. that is TOTALLY cool.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

I was leaning towards a husaberg Fe370, but I have to say that gives me pause. that is TOTALLY cool.
Pretty cool huh? Roughly the same weight as a 9.9hp motor. Easily boomed onto the deck, small enough to fit in a waterproof car top cargo bag of you took the quick release wheels off, and fast enough to get around town. Expensive though, but with a Honda power plant it's probably worth it. Also most of the parts are easily replaceable at a bike shop, and if the engine dies a ton of cheap Chinese ones can be bolted in. Very cool. Still expensive though.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:34   #25

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Well said, Proud owner HD 2004 duce The other person just gives bikes a bad rap.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:53   #26

Boat: too many

Back on topic. Here is my home made grocery getter. Just about 100 lbs, very fast up to 40 mph, geared for 43 mph because you just don't want to go even that fast on 10" tires. Low CG, so can even load into the dinghy. Motor rated at 5.5 hp cont, 23 hp peak, it is an Etek PM motor. I use a webbing vest/bib that scrunches up and fits in pocket, put when worn, can stuff about 3 grocery bags front and rear.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:49   #27

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Hey those Motopeds are pretty neat, it's a cool idea. Although I'll say it's already been done by Honda and done a bit better, along with better mpg. I have and use a 1978 Honda CT90. They weigh about 200lbs, will do about 55-60mph with me at 215lbs. All that and they get 125mpg at 25mph! They can easily take two passengers, and are the most common motorcycle in the world, or at least share the same engine. They are a blast off road and many of them have dual range gearboxes for extra low end torque, although I've never found a use for it except for maybe climbing a tree !

That being said it is a little big length wise, it's a little bit longer than a mountain bike. I do bring mine around the great lakes with me on my Columbia 29. It's probably a bit of a stretch but I figure it equals the weight of me for say sitting on the rail so no big deal. Finally I do like to keep it covered on wet days with a tarp, and regular maintenace is key. Then again I live in Michigan... Lake Michigan, low sodium for your convience!
Old 30-04-2012, 22:54   #28

Boat: Alberg 30

I've got a couple a big pig of a CX500 and now a WR250r. There was a couple who did about 20 years on one CX500, including stuffing it in the bilge of a leaky wooden boat. Ate the entire wiring harness over the years they left it in bits there before re-wiring it and heading off again!

For long term travel(aka sail to continent, several months on the road, and back onto the boat). the WR250R would fit on many sailboats, I would probably take off the wheels, forks and drain it dry, then stuff it in the boat.

For getting groceries, you can't beat an E-bike. My next build will be a BMX though, the full frame MTB is too awkward! 40km range if I pedal a little bit on the way, and tons of power with a single lithium battery pack(mine is 48v10ah)
I am trying to figure out how to charge it on land and carry power out to the boat
With a bigger ping pack(a very reliable builder of Lifepo4 packs) I could easily get a 48v20AH pack that I could charge on land.(gives me 80AH at 12v, enough for a day's electric on the boat, and a bit to get back to work).
If I really want to get fancy, I may get the frame/handlebars/pedal adapted so it folds up and I can stuff it in a lazarette.

CT110 would be ideal for a occasional weekend trip off the boat and transport so long as your dinghy could carry it, or you could dock to offload.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote