Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38   #1

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Motorcycles and sailboats?

Hello folks,

As we get a little older we start to think about owning a motorcycle again. Do any of you keep a motorcycle on the boat?

Does not have to be a HD Fatboy, maybe just a Monkey bike or one of those small scooters you see all over Europe.

We live on board a big(ish) schooner and the weight of a bike on deck would not seriously affect the righting moment. Getting a big bike on and off deck might be
harder but a small bike would pose few problems. I am thinking of using the main gaff as a crane jib.

If you are keeping a bike onboard then what bike is it. How well does it stand upto the salt water, are the any unique maintenance procedures you have developed to look after your two wheeled friend?

My wife and I are both fans of the Custom bike style, while we recognise that a Harley is probably too big to haul upon deck, a smaller Yamaha 350 would fit right in (it is no heavier than the big dink and it's outboard).

Any thoughts?

Simes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38
There are some folding motorcycles out there. Really more scooters, but they are supposed to fold down fairly small.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46   #3

Check out DiBlasi motorcycles. Ive never ridden one but have heard they are neat.
Old 06-04-2012, 21:11   #4

Boat: S2 9.2C
We used to run with our 2 scooters onboard the Trimaran,but now we can only fit one on the mono on the aft cabin.
Probably just ship both to the next destination
We love our scooters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2193195718.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	39603  
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41   #5

Another option would be a motorized bike/scooter like the Island Hopper ones: http://www.motorizedfoldupbikes.com/
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Motorcycles and sailboats?

Or even a electric bike if your thinking of shorter distances.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13   #7

Hmmm, I will have to think about this one for a while. We are definately interested in taking a bigger bike with us.The push bikes have survived quite well with little or no extra protection oter than a frequent oiling and a spray with WD40.

Whilst a bigger bike may pose some problems in getting it on or off the boat the actual weight of the bike will not cause too much of an issue.
I was thinking more about the maintenance and prevention of corrosion.

If you do keep a bigger bike on board,what problems have you had to overcome? Do the benefits out weigh the problems?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36   #8

Despite their amazing popularity, I am not a fan of motorcycles for any number of reasons... most of which everyone has already heard...

They are dangerous to the driver and passenger
They are dangerous to other motorists
they are usually way way too noisey
they don't allow one to carry much *cargo*
they suck in the rain and snow
you can only take one passenger
you can't transport and infant or child
you have to wear protective gear to use them

But there are some good things too:

they are cheap to operate
fun / exhilarating to drive on the open road
easy to park
cool looking

With these features lists it's a wonder that anyone with a rational mind would own and use one as primary transport. They hardly make sense.

Like tattoos... I would not miss them if their popularity went into decline.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46   #9

Wow Detjef,

Thanks for sharing that. Still wondering about how I am going to maintain one on board . That will be the irrational in me.
If I had a choice I would be taking the BMW 325 convertible with me. But it just does not fit on deck. Oh, am I being rational here?

Owing and living on board a sailing boat is hardly regional either. But that is what we do.
Have fun,

Simes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00   #10

Not sure about Detjef's response but his opinion didn’t answer the question, or help for that matter. I would love to get my Fat boy on my Catalina but would sink it for sure, ha-ha. Boating and motorcycles are exhilarating and sometimes dangerous, coincidence? I think not.
Smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34   #11

wow.

1) Motorcycles are not inherently dangerous, other motorists are. In fact MOST motorcycle fatalities are from being rear-ended at a stop. Which is why I am a big proponent of lane splitting.

2) Motorcycles are dangerous to other vehicles!?? please! Hummers are dangerous. in every sense of the word.

3) I actually agree about noise, but in general it's a certain type of motorcycle and I don't understand why the law chooses to ignore already existing laws on the matter. BUT it's no worse than someone blasting obnoxious bass.

4) They allow for plenty of cargo in the places I want to go on my sailboat.

5) They are fine in the rain, actually manageable in snow, but again... Cars suck in the snow too and not a real consideration for MOST of the world, most of the time.

6) I only want one passenger, preferably a low cargo type.
6a) I don't have kids nor do I need to transport others' kids
6a1) you actually can transport kids just fine on them.

7) You don't actually HAVE to wear gear in most of the world, Most people should probably wear helmets more often anyway.

And as to plusses, they can go places no car can, including the freeway in Los Angeles at 5:15.

And cars are IMMENSLY wasteful, both in their creation and their consumption of resources. I can't figure out why anyone would choose NOT to ride a bike, and frankly in most of the world they are in fact the preferred mode of individual motorized transport.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37   #12

Well said!!
Smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50   #13

Hi Smitty,
I agree with you ans with Xymotic. We could manage the Fatboy once on board but getting some 750 lbs on and off sure would be an issue. Would be great if Harley produced some thing around 350cc (what is that in cubic inches 30 or so?)
I really like the Road King but at nearly 800 lbs is too big to even contemplate getting on and off deck. The Yamaha 350 Cruiser might well work.

Lots to think about . . .

Simes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
wow.

1) Motorcycles are not inherently dangerous. . .
Umm, motorcycles certainly ARE inherently dangerous -- for the same reason they are inherently exhilarating -- your body is flying through the surroundings with nothing between it and a multitude of hard objects with closing velocity of up to 100km/h or more.

There are plenty of fatalities and crippling accidents of motorcyclists not involving other vehicles.

Only one of my own three motorcycle accidents (the scars from which are still with me today) involved another vehicle, and the one which did involved another motorcycle.

I am generally against the idea of older guys celebrating their second childhoods by getting back on a motorcycle. They don't have the reflexes they used to, and have forgotten more about riding than they thought they have.

Perhaps it would be different if you're 80 already, have paid off your house, and already don't have anything to lose.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, motorcycles certainly ARE inherently dangerous -- for the same reason they are inherently exhilarating -- your body is flying through the surroundings with nothing between it and a multitude of hard objects with closing velocity of up to 100km/h or more.

There are plenty of fatalities and crippling accidents of motorcyclists not involving other vehicles.

Only one of my own three motorcycle accidents (the scars from which are still with me today) involved another vehicle, and the one which did involved another motorcycle.

I am generally against the idea of older guys celebrating their second childhoods by getting back on a motorcycle. They don't have the reflexes they used to, and have forgotten more about riding than they thought they have.

Perhaps it would be different if you're 80 already, have paid off your house, and already don't have anything to lose.
Don't go that fast. SPEED is dangerous.

Plenty of people get killed in crosswalks too, is it crosswalks or the walking that is "dangerous" in that situation?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote