Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:53   #1

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Max Air

I'm looking at putting ta Max Air compressor on my new boat. Any feedback on Max Air? I'm looking at the 55 E1 (Electric) mounted in the engine room. I'm going run the high pressure hoses to somewhere on the deck where I'll have the boat builder install 3 torp tubes to store the tanks. My plan is to have the hoses come to the same area where I remove the cover and everything I need is there to fill the tanks. The only reason to go to the engine room is to change the filter and oil when necessary. Any ideas in the negative about this potential set up?
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:12   #2

You might want to look at running an air intake from up on deck as well. You'll probably get cleaner air that way, especially if you've got a generator running in the engine room to power the motor.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21   #3

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
We just wrapped up a Brownie's YP35 install. Some ideas:

- Pull air from up on deck as suggested or from inside the boat. If you have AirCon (or even a cool cabin) you'll get a lot more efficiency out of the compressor. Hot humid air is hard work for the compressor. Also the house is likely to have the proper protection to ensure quality air (CO alarms, etc). Whatever you do, don't pull air from the engine room.

- Set up a blower to keep the electric motor cool (or use the auxiliary's blower). In an enclosed area the compressor is going to get hot and lose efficiency and lifespan without a blower.

- Remote Fill idea sounds good, that's what we did as well.

- You should check the condensate drain issues with your selected compressor. Many require you to drain every 15 minutes or so (in the middle of a fill). You may be in the engine room often unless you go with a self draining system.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 13:48   #4

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Pulling from the inside of the boat sounds good. We'll have AirCon throughout. The engine room is walk-in with work bench. From what I understand, the enging room will have venting with blowers to keep it cool but will install extra fan if necessary to keep electric compressor motor cool. Manual condensate drain is standard but I'm buying the automatic with electric timer & other features.

Thanks
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote