Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 16:00   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

I had dinner once with Hugo Vihlen, who crossed the Atlantic in a 5' 4" boat (named Father's Day) in 105 days.

I just dug up some note I took - for provision he had: 65 MREs, two gallons of M&Ms, a gallon of dry fruit, 100 cans of Hawaiian Punch and 34 gallons of water (I think I remember that the water jugs were placed to provide extra ballast)

He said he read a dictionary, and a world almanac.

The USCG had declared his boat "manifestly unsafe" and banned the voyage, so he left from Canada. Ironically later the uscg sponsored some talks he gave about the voyage.

The boat was a stainless steel fabrication. (the guy who welded our hull was asked to quote on it, and he declined, because of liability concerns . . . so apparently a guy who welded up fuel tanks made the boat).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 18:40   #77

Wow with the money he spent on that trip he could have bought a real nice boat not end up with wwll junk.
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:28   #78

60 gallons Guinness stout, 40 gallons of Black Label scotch, 100 pounds of aged cheddar cheese, 80 pounds of peanuts(shelled), and 25 boxes of old K-rations: that is what some old dud used to supply his voyage from NYC to the Seychelles. We met up with him as he pulled into Victoria. Yes, he seemed healthy. The guy was at least in his 70s given that he fought in WW2 as a major and this was in 1986. Spend an enjoyable week drinking(obviously) with him. Not sure there is a record for the longest drunken cruise, but if there was, he would probably have won it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:48   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
60 gallons Guinness stout, 40 gallons of Black Label scotch, 100 pounds of aged cheddar cheese, 80 pounds of peanuts(shelled), and 25 boxes of old K-rations: that is what some old dud used to supply his voyage from NYC to the Seychelles. We met up with him as he pulled into Victoria. Yes, he seemed healthy. The guy was at least in his 70s given that he fought in WW2 as a major and this was in 1986. Spend an enjoyable week drinking(obviously) with him. Not sure there is a record for the longest drunken cruise, but if there was, he would probably have won it.
That's a good diet.. supplies all the minerals, protiens, vitamins etc to maintain the calorific value needed to function efficiently..
Folks have been horrified when they've seen my provisioning for solo crossings..
Oriental for example some folks raided their cupboards and presented me with a couple of boxes.. refused to believe man could live without 1lb beef a day.. lovely people so one could not say no.. it was from the heart.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:28   #80
cruiser

AFAIK, Rory MacDougall and his 21' TIKI catamaran "Cooking Fat" (aka 'Cookie') hold the record for smallest catamaran to circumnavigate:
Rory McDougall
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:11   #81
cruiser

In 2012 I singlehandedly crossed Biscay from Benodet to Gijon and then from La Corunna to Benodet in Cornish Crabber 24.

..and just to mention, sometimes around Punta Candelaria Raymarine stopped working so it was DR and sextant navigation all the way across Biscay back to Benodet.
seaward 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:02   #82

Boat: Bristol 27

Bill Wolfram, born 1950, sailed a Bristol 22, We-Tu, from Port Townsend, Washington, to Australia and back, around 2002-2004.

http://www.bristolsailboats.org/?page_id=94
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:30   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's a good diet.. supplies all the minerals, protiens, vitamins etc to maintain the calorific value needed to function efficiently..
Folks have been horrified when they've seen my provisioning for solo crossings..
Oriental for example some folks raided their cupboards and presented me with a couple of boxes.. refused to believe man could live without 1lb beef a day.. lovely people so one could not say no.. it was from the heart.
Been going through old log books(more like daily diaries). Your comment was almost exactly what I recorded as to his attitude about his diet. Might as well be well pickled . Gives "Dutch" courage when you face insurmountable odds. Of course, personally prefer the peanut butter and cheese diet with liberal amounts of tea.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:45   #84

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post

AFAIK, Rory MacDougall and his 21' TIKI catamaran "Cooking Fat" (aka 'Cookie') hold the record for smallest catamaran to circumnavigate:
Rory McDougall
Awesome!
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:56   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Been going through old log books(more like daily diaries). Your comment was almost exactly what I recorded as to his attitude about his diet. Might as well be well pickled . Gives "Dutch" courage when you face insurmountable odds. Of course, personally prefer the peanut butter and cheese diet with liberal amounts of tea.
Actually a Guinness a day come's with doctors recommendations in UK hospitals (at least it used to) as an aid for certain recuperations.. its as much a meal as a drink.. and good Scotch was/is gold in certain parts of the world..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:10   #86

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually a Guinness a day come's with doctors recommendations in UK hospitals (at least it used to) as an aid for certain recuperation's.. its as much a meal as a drink.. and good Scotch was/is gold in certain parts of the world..
I can vouch for that, my mother was on a medically ordered daily prescription of a pint of Guinness to increase her 'Iron count. This was paid for by the National Health Service ...
Although her parents and siblings all liked their tot, my mother was strictly tee-total. She would always grimace when drinking the Guinness (sounds poetic?) ... but apparently it helped.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:42   #87

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Their is only one record I am interested in - Tidiest boat to ARRIVE in port. My goal is to arrive in port after a sea voyage with everything ready to go again and just the need for provisioning. Don't think I have achieved it yet on a sail of more than a few days! Have heard that Robin Nox-Johnson pretty much achieved it after sailing round the world... True seamanship
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:56   #88

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I can vouch for that, my mother was on a medically ordered daily prescription of a pint of Guinness to increase her 'Iron count. This was paid for by the National Health Service ...
Although her parents and siblings all liked their tot, my mother was strictly tee-total. She would always grimace when drinking the Guinness (sounds poetic?) ... but apparently it helped.

I can also vouch for that. When 13 yrs old I was in hospital in the UK and the guy in the next bed was prescribed Guinness and me Ovaltine. He didn't drink beer and every day we swapped our drink.
Many females in my family drank Guinness regularly for the iron.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 05:57   #89

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Their is only one record I am interested in - Tidiest boat to ARRIVE in port. My goal is to arrive in port after a sea voyage with everything ready to go again and just the need for provisioning. Don't think I have achieved it yet on a sail of more than a few days! Have heard that Robin Nox-Johnson pretty much achieved it after sailing round the world... True seamanship
Have you seen pics of Suhaili when Robin Knox-Johnson finished his voyage? Sorry to say what you heard is an arm-chair sailor's myth.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 07:42   #90

Boat: a sailing boat

Panama to the Gambiers in a 26'. But my first sail across our lake in an Opti seemed to be the greater voyage.

Look up Serge Testa and his Australis (Archorc?). That was a very small boat and a very big voyage.

Now Yrvind is getting ready for a rtw via the Southern Ocean, here:
February « 2016 « Present Project

Webb Chiles is sailing too and you may also want to look up Alessandro Di Benedetto Sailing Around the World Non-Stop on a 21 Foot Boat? | YachtPals.com for an earlier feat from one extremely nice and a bit crazy guy.

Sailing small boats is so much about sailing that it is nearly not cruising ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote