Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 07:50   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post

AFAIK, Rory MacDougall and his 21' TIKI catamaran "Cooking Fat" (aka 'Cookie') hold the record for smallest catamaran to circumnavigate:
Rory McDougall
We got to know Rory in NZ, we were cruising great barrier island and at anchor when he sailed in and pitched a tarp over his boom and it started raining. I rowed over to invite him over for dinner, in our relatively much greater comfort. Nice guy. We then spent sometime with him and his fiancé.

He came pretty close to serious malnutrition during his pacific crossing, because a wave wasted all his camping gas cans overboard and basically all he had on board was rice and pasta, and that's really hard to digest without hot water. He had a "real" name for the boat f$&king cat but could not use that on his papers so put "cooking fat".
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:22   #92

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Back in the day in my early 20's I used to sail back and forth to the Bahamas in my 21' San Juan Clark sail boat for a few years. A hundred bucks in my pocket, cheap Coleman 48 quart cooler, dry ice, a portapotty, and a SeaGull 5hp. Some of the best carefree times in my life. I didn't know I didn't know any better.

Holy crap! I race on a San Juan 21 now and can't even imagine what the motion in that thing would be with a big swell... respect!
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:45   #93

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
He had a "real" name for the boat f$&king cat but could not use that on his papers so put "cooking fat".
Cool!

There is a German book "Mal sehen wie weit wir kommen", a family of three circumnavigated over three year in an Etap 21i. Thats a small production boat for sheltered waters.

I can't say it was a good read, but it told me how _not_ to do it.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:35   #94

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
Holy crap! I race on a San Juan 21 now and can't even imagine what the motion in that thing would be with a big swell... respect!
Apparently a lot of small sailboats make the jump from Florida... They tell me it's a 10-12 hr trip but I would be worried about the big swells too! My inlet gets insane, can't imagine what the stream would be like if u miss the weather window....
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 05:37   #95

A circumnavigation of Antarctica (or, south of all the great capes) in a 10' boat... at 75:

An Interview with small-boat sailor Sven Yrvind | Alastair Humphreys
Old 21-02-2016, 12:35   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Then there was Ant Stewart who circumnavigated in a 19 foot open boat (no cabin) - http://youtu.be/1QkZN35RZfU
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 17:25   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
A circumnavigation of Antarctica (or, south of all the great capes) in a 10' boat... at 75:

An Interview with small-boat sailor Sven Yrvind | Alastair Humphreys
He may have only had a 10' boat but he had a 20' pair of cajones thaty probably saved his a$$ more than once. That would be a cold trip.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:05   #98

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
Apparently a lot of small sailboats make the jump from Florida... They tell me it's a 10-12 hr trip but I would be worried about the big swells too! My inlet gets insane, can't imagine what the stream would be like if u miss the weather window....
We met a bunch in Lucaya who came over on jetskis - they had an open console "support" boat with them. Apparently it "usually" took 4 hours, but took 10 hours that time due to the unexpected T-storms.

Size isn't everything. We met another family in the Exhumas - 5 aboard a 20 something-footer with none of the comforts of home - made it there from Ohio or thereabouts and having an excellent time.

And another exercise in keeping it small: Travels with Miss Cindy. Adventures with a 16' Microcat cruiser.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:59   #99

Boat: Sadler 25

This is so cool! Rob and I have sailed our 25ft boat from the UK to Malaysia via the Red Sea.

Actually we went from UK to Holland, back to UK, to the Azores, then Gibraltar, the Med, the Black Sea, Suez, Red Sea, Dubai, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia. We have since been to Hong Kong, the Philippines and are back in Langkawi, Malaysia.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:19   #100

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciarob View Post
This is so cool! Rob and I have sailed our 25ft boat from the UK to Malaysia via the Red Sea.

Actually we went from UK to Holland, back to UK, to the Azores, then Gibraltar, the Med, the Black Sea, Suez, Red Sea, Dubai, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia. We have since been to Hong Kong, the Philippines and are back in Langkawi, Malaysia.
I'd love to hear your accounts of sailing the Strait of Malacca and the trip from Singapore up to Hong Kong! I did that trip (from Sri Lanka to Hong Kong) in '81 on a delivery so I am really impressed!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:51   #101

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Size isn't everything. We met another family in the Exhumas - 5 aboard a 20 something-footer with none of the comforts of home - made it there from Ohio or thereabouts and having an excellent time.
The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.

Some of my favorite sailing memories are from my old Tanzer22 and C&C25.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T22.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	119385  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:50   #102

Boat: Lots of boats.

When I started boating, I regularly took my 11' plastic Snark and Grumman canoe out on the ocean. Not bad once you got past the breakers. I think the key to stability with small boats is weight. Put 3 or 4 people and some gear in a canoe and you can stand up without a care. They become very stable. By myself, a quick gust has put me in the water!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:14   #103

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
This guy did a solo circumnavigation 2006-2009 in a 19' boat designed for lake sailing. Quite a performance.

From a landlocked country, Hungary, it is quite an achievement. (My country of origin, too.) As his father said once to the people toting: 'His office is the sea.' Wrote a book of the trip, a down to earth, very good man.

Földkörüli szóló-vitorlázás Carinával (6 m), Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19 ft boat)
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:18   #104

Boat: Herreshoff 36

As first hand experience: I took my H22 around Ireland last April, first stop was after about 650Nml, for fuel, as I had hardly any wind for 6 days, altogether sailed more than 800Nm solo in 9 and a half days.

Planning some much bigger now...
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:22   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

There's a Brit who owned a junk rigged Corribee 21.. loads of YouTube stuff by him.. up to the Artic Circle etc..
As a concession to age however he bought an Achilles 24 and has converted it to a junk also.. reckon there'll be a whole bunch of new films soon..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote