Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 20:21   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterMD View Post
For all you long term cruisers out there, how do you spend your days? I have always thought that I wanted to eventually do some serious cruising (at least 6 months to 1 year in the Caribbean, but probably longer and to more distant ports). Recently, my wife and I went on a vacation (not sailing related) for 2 weeks. While I had a great time, I was ready to get back to work by the end of the trip. I can only sit around for so long without getting bored and feeling the need to do something. I am just starting my career, so those feelings might change in 15-20 years. But what do you do to fill your time while cruising for long periods of time?
Bluewater…. You are not ready to cruise as you still have a few career mountains to climb.

As others have said…cruising is a mindset….so I can only leave it to your imagination to find things to do.

A man’s goal must be beyond his reach or what’s a meta-phor?..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUS DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	17634  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:42   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

A man’s goal must be beyond his reach or what’s a meta-phor?..
wow. nice lines! is that an Oyster??
Old 07-07-2010, 22:16   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
No…she is a Pearl….
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:11   #34

Landlubbers have no idea how long it takes to do simple things in strange places. The example that springs to mind is trying to get laundry done in Rangiroa.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27   #35
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you both NYCSavage and Nosingleresource. I have bookmarked the site, and intend to study it and make mental notes on new forms of procrastination which may arise.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:37   #36

Your welcome
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11   #37

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Very much welcome, although NYCSavage was so kind as to locate the site on which some of Don's logs currently reside!
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
although NYCSavage was so kind as to locate the site on which some of Don's logs currently reside!
I'm here all week for any computer/network/internet enquiries lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 08-07-2010, 08:40   #39
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, so anyway, Hubby has this really out-of-there idea about how to kill time. He wants to take along a tall, blond, scandinavian girl to help kill time. Hm.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
OK, so anyway, Hubby has this really out-of-there idea about how to kill time. He wants to take along a tall, blond, scandinavian girl to help kill time. Hm.

I say compromise! Let him bring that Scandinavian as long as you can take you Beckham lookalike!
Old 08-07-2010, 15:30   #41

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
playing Monopoly or some similar board game no doubt.
Old 08-07-2010, 16:30   #42

LOL, nice shot Pelagic!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 17:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
He wants to take along a tall, blond, scandinavian girl to help kill time. Hm.
Like this Swede? She's tall, blonde and likes poker...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldSwede.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	17650  
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:52   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol--i think there will be no problem "killing" time while cruising--i found we were sooo busy we didnt have time to wonder what we would be doing while cruising. there is sailing..there is repairing. there is sailing. there is fishing. there is wildlife to watch...there are oil changes every 100 hours. there is rigging to inspect--there is so much to do , i am sure your hubby was joking--if not--i would seek a new one. LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:55   #45

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Even if you don't bring a compressor and tanks, there is a TON of great stuff within snorkeling range around so many of these islands. We are divers, but we never disdain a good snorkeling location. On some islands, there are wonderful cultural things to do and learn, or killer dominoes games to play, or Quiz Night at the local pub, while on other islands, the most interesting parts are definitely below the water's surface... and that's great as well.

As a doctor, the OP could, if he was interested in so doing, essentially work his way around the Caribbean, six months here, three months there, helping people and keeping busy while keeping the cruising kitty healthy (all subject to the relevant laws -- that would require a bit of research and perhaps letters of introduction or inquiry sent ahead and/or carried along). It would also allow the family to actually integrate into the island societies a bit -- being a doc is an entre into otherwise sometimes rather close-knit social settings. So is cruising with a kid, incidentally :-) You may find places you just don't like once you get to know them, but I am guessing you will also find wonderful, appreciative, generous people who make the whole experience much richer than "just passing through doing your own thing" would be.

And yes, there are ALWAYS things that need attending to on a cruising boat.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote