Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34   #1

Harbour free WiFi....important or not!?

I am trying to understand how important "free wifi" in a harbour may be in you choosing to visit that harbour! Where does it rate for you compared to other services?
Curioussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Harbour free WiFi....important or not!?

If I had a choice between two harbours, of near to equel services, but one offered free wifi, I'd head for that one, it's nice to be able to check weather, emails, CF etc from the comfort of my own boat.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48   #3

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Ditto nigel1 ... I've moved to be closer to a wifi connection for similar reasons and it is one of the considerations when I shift over to Pensacola later this month.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

It all depends on my needs and desire of the time, and it often relates to other needs as well.

When I cruise the Bahamas, I like to get WiFi access about once every 5 days, but also use that time to do laundry, provision, get fuel, maybe a meal out, etc as well. It's rarely just about WiFi. (Other nights, I might purposely avoid such places in favor of being off the beaten track.)

Often WiFi isn't a harbor free service. Often it's free to customer's at some establishment. I'd rather get two beers and internet for $10, than spend the same $10 for Out Island Internet.

Certainly WiFi availability is something I consider in my route and anchorage choices.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

If I'm paying for a slip, I expect it, period. Anchored out, if I can get it one place and not another and they're equal otherwise, I'll take the wifi.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It's nice to have free wifi but I wouldn't make any cruising decisions based on availability of wifi. Over the years I've become less dependent on it for communication. As I only cruise the Bahamas and the US I've found that 2 cell phones is the answer, one for each country.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curioussailor View Post
I am trying to understand how important "free wifi" in a harbour may be in you choosing to visit that harbour! Where does it rate for you compared to other services?
It's more important to me than showers. It's not the most important consideration, however. More important is that I can get from the harbour to places I want to go via bicycle.

I would pass up a harbour with free wifi but where I had to take a taxi or bus to town in favour of a harbour with no wifi but good bikeability.

People developing new harbours often confuse the harbour with the destination. I see this a lot in Baja; great harbours being built on the outskirsts of nowhere. The harbour is not the destination. Rather, it's a place to leave the boat while you visit the destination.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:33   #8

Many thanks for the thoughts, I would most certainly love to hear from more of you folks!
Curioussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 03:33   #9

Boat: Tayana 42

I agree WIFI is great for checking emails, weather, news, etc. However, it is also a time drain too. A few days without internet is a good thing. We have gone to places with free wifi and it is so slow we end up looking at our computers for an hour and actually being able to use the internet for a total of 5 - 10 minutes.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 03:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

All things being equal, I will definitely take the wii fi.

I now have a phone with internet and "hot Spot" capability. "Hot Spot" is where your phone becomes a wii fi router. We haven't cruised inland or anywhere yet to see if it will work on rivers. Supposedly, as long as I can get Verizon cell service, the internet will also work. On the 3rd coast, many areas along the beach including some marinas are on the very outer fringes of cell and internet service. In those areas, it may work, and it may not work. I assume a lot of rivers and lakes are the same way.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote