Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 18:52   #16

Re: "Cruising" Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
For Casco Bay, the South Portland launch ramp is excellent. $10 to launch, and no charge for leaving your car and trailer . . . even for weeks. You do start out right in busy Portland harbor, but it's manageable, and plenty interesting.

Monstads -- did you ever find a launch spot in Rhode Island that allowed overnight car/trailer parking? I've been hoping to find one for Block Island trips. Last year I used the Barn Island launch ramp in Stonington, CT, which was fine, but I'm always on the lookout for more. Another great one is Wellfleet on the Cape.
Thank you for the tip on the South Portland launch. Is it the one on Bug Light Park? I've been thinking of checking it out to see if they allow parking. In Rhode Island, we used the ramp in North Kingston, close to Wickford (http://goo.gl/maps/PhXBP). Someone said it used to be sketchy leaving your truck there overnight, but that it was safer now. Not sure what that's about, but we didn't have any issues. We only went as far as Jamestown due to cold and windy weather late in the season, but Block Island should be doable from there.

Sent from my A0001 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:38   #17

Boat: Oyster 55

Have spent two summers cruising Maine and it is absolutely beautiful.
Just be aware that the fog can get quite thick.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 16:10   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
Thank you for the tip on the South Portland launch. Is it the one on Bug Light Park?
Yes -- that's the one. When you enter, just tell the guy or gal at the booth how long you want to leave your trailer. They'll give you a permit to put on your dash that lets the police know you're good. It's all pretty low-key and friendly.

There's also a public pumpout station nearby, under the Casco Bay Bridge.

Thanks for the tip on North Kingston!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, maine