Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 18:52   #121

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Bikers on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53hemi View Post
Yeah, I've considered Mikunis. I ran them on a 650XS I had. This is my first foray into Brit stuff so I'm gonna try the Amals for a while.

As for the hard tail - I live in New Orleans so its gonna be even worse than you think!

Gotta live hard to be hard!
You have a quick bike, If you havent ridden a hard tail before, They do step out on corners, skip would be a better word for it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48   #122

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820
I have nothing against motorcycles, but I would like to see some effort to put some peer pressure on those bikers that feel it is necessary to install aftermarket straight pipes. The sound can be earspliting. I find it very inconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I agree with you about "true" straight pipes. They are way, way too loud! There are, however, aftermarket pipes that have free flow glass packed baffles. They look like straight pipes, but simply have less restriction, a MUCH deeper rumble, and about 15% more volume. I have even made my own.

Its not that I'm too old. I had straight pipes as a kid... I'm just not an ass hole any more.

M.
So Mark, you used to have straight pipes and now glass packs that are 15% louder? OMG!

I agree with Morgan382.

Rant:

I have over 200,000 miles on bikes and absolutley HATE the loud exhaust notes.

And the idea I always hear is "I want them to hear me coming" is a fallacy. Most of the sound waves are directed aft. Only after you pass someone do they hear you while cringing and watching their mirrors vibrate trying to see if there are more around.

When I hear one chances are it is at least a block away and I know it is going away from me. (thank goodness).

Did I say I HATE the inconsiderate, irritating, obnoxious noise?

Rant end.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14   #123

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
If it is to loud you are to old.

Seriously I have no idea how many miles I have ridden in 33 years. My 01 had 250k on it when I traded it. All Harleys all with loud pipes. Anything that helps you get noticed on the bike helps keep you alive.

I am 6'4 280 pounds riding a 1000 pound moyorcycle. Over the years I have been hit three times by cars. Everytime the response was the same. "I didn't see him"

So excuse me if my loud pipes interupted your cell phone call. Sorry if the pipes startled you and you dropped your vente latte while texting and driving.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29   #124

Boat: Jeanneau 57

See MOT from Germany to the U.K. for a story of my annual pilgrimage.
Old 12-08-2012, 18:08   #125

I ride a Honda Blackbird, Commonly called the whispering death, It was so quiet you could not hear it running, It sounded like an electric sewing machine up close,

I changed the pipes on it to my own hand made ones that now put out 92 decibells,

Quite amazing how many people in cars now know I am there, where before they didnt,

The noise from it annoys some people, even me on long trips, but it does keep me alive,
A bike and rider is totally invisible to cars, So the louder pipes help to let them know your there,
Old 12-08-2012, 20:39   #126

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post

Seriously I have no idea how many miles I have ridden in 33 years. My 01 had 250k on it when I traded it. All Harleys all with loud pipes. Anything that helps you get noticed on the bike helps keep you alive.

I am 6'4 280 pounds riding a 1000 pound moyorcycle. Over the years I have been hit three times by cars. Everytime the response was the same. "I didn't see him"

So excuse me if my loud pipes interupted your cell phone call. Sorry if the pipes startled you and you dropped your vente latte while texting and driving.
Quote:
What the hell is that supposed to mean? My ears are sensitive? You are near deaf? Well yes they are. So what.

This forum does not allow personal attacks but I will respond.

I have been hit also with the same response.

My bike was quiet. Yours, apparently was not. So, what good did it do you? Nothing, I surmise. Which proves my argument. It simply does not work. It is a fallacy. Promulgated by those with larger balls than I have. Huff-Puff. h-Rah. Whatever it is. It is still BS. Louder does nothing except make you feel better.

There were no cell phones when I was hit. I have not idea what "vente latte" is but assume it is some sort of coffee. So what.

I drive with a window cracked and no radio so I am not one of those you want to target. "They" are closed up with the volume up. "They" will not hear you anyway. No matter what your decibels. It won't be me, it will be "them".

Best of luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:59   #127

Boat: 1972 Grampian G26
If it will help us get off the ' loud pipes ' rant, here's a photo of my last bike before the BSA. And yeah, open headers with no baffles. I am a jerk. But, back to bikes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1660971716.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	44800
53hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:02   #128

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I ride 40k each way 5 days through traffic and the most danger is from me relaxing riding beside a car and guess what? yep they try to knock me off due to there self obsessed attitude.
the short answer to loud pipes is No new cars block the noise our new BMW you cant hear a firetruck up your ass.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:08   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53hemi View Post
If it will help us get off the ' loud pipes ' rant, here's a photo of my last bike before the BSA. And yeah, open headers with no baffles. I am a jerk. But, back to bikes...

Attachment 44800
Those short pipes burn out valves, with out a baffle,
Old 12-08-2012, 21:13   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
I ride 40k each way 5 days through traffic and the most danger is from me relaxing riding beside a car and guess what? yep they try to knock me off due to there self obsessed attitude.
the short answer to loud pipes is No new cars block the noise our new BMW you cant hear a firetruck up your ass.
What do you ride, and where, I have probably seen you riding as your not far from me, Kilsyth is the next suburb from me,

Cheers
Brian,
Old 12-08-2012, 23:56   #131

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

My bike was quiet. Yours, apparently was not. So, what good did it do you? Notghing, I surmise. Which proves my argument. It simply does not work. It is a fallacy. Promulgated by those with larger balls than I have. Huff-Puff. h-Rah. Whatever it is. It is still BS. Louder does nothing except make you feel better.
It is impossible to prove a negative. I don't know how many times the pipes made a driver aware I was coming or riding beside them. So they did not pull our or make a lane change into me.

I am tired of planting brothers and sisters because Americans tend to drive with their collective heads up their asses. Until drivers wake up the loud pipes stay on.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 00:24   #132

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
What do you ride, and where, I have probably seen you riding as your not far from me, Kilsyth is the next suburb from me,

Cheers
Brian,
A red Honda cbf1000 I ride to Nth Melbourne. If you would like had on your boat in exchange for a ride and explain how you fixing you boat just send a PM, im always after a riding buddy and a boat snoop

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 02:32   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
A red Honda cbf1000 I ride to Nth Melbourne. If you would like had on your boat in exchange for a ride and explain how you fixing you boat just send a PM, im always after a riding buddy and a boat snoop
A bike and a boat, Your on, PM sent,
Old 13-08-2012, 06:04   #134

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Southpark did an episode on loud pipes that I believe touched on the real reason.
Riders share as much blame as drivers for some accidents. It is the attitude of owning the road that gets both in trouble. Just yesterday while towing my boat I came very close to making 5 riders into speed bumps because they were doing under 40 MPH on a 60 MPH 4 lane. Even though I was traveling at 55 MPH the panel van in front of me blocked both sight and annoying sound until he swerved around them. It was close because they were stupidly ruling the road. No cell phone just a big truck with big tires that hum as loud as those pipes.
Old 13-08-2012, 09:16   #135

Well, it is a free country here (US) even if the Db is over the legal limit.