Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37   #346
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

The Assassin:

This is a "camouflage post" to keep the thread readers to our group

Cleared for landing:

We used our new macro-twin-flash unit for these pictures. We have both these flashes now:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11   #347

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Nick,

If you get to SW Florida and need a fix for that habit of bouncing in the waves with a rag in the air, let me know, we'll go for a day sail. Heck, I'll even buy you a beer!

(Beware, I have a real sail boat, not one of those half-boats! )

Seriously, holler if you get close!
SW? If was there with Jedi in 2003 : from Naples to Key West and around the Keys to Ft Lauderdale, then quickly off to the Bahama's

I was driving the Alligator Alley a couple of weeks ago!

cheers,
Nick.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22   #348

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
"As Darwin pointed out, the species evolves and adapts."
Exactly. I posted a review of a Whale Gulper pump a couple of days ago and got a nasty / poison reply even with that and totally unrelated to my OP. I don't even think it was addressed to me but to another reply or may be to nobody in particular. I think people will do crazy replies no matter what the post is. Others see that and join in and it could be evolution or adaption, but I think there must be some mental cause too

ciao!
Nick.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31   #349

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I'm glad others have the same ideas. I agree that I will never feel toward the coach how I feel for my boat. First reason, it's not as romantic as being on the water. I'm most comfortable at anchor out away from crowds. Where I can be snorkeling or diving. We like cruising Mexico for the same reason you like Panama Second, I'm a bit not at ease in it yet. Go figure-I don't mind being out in the middle of the ocean or even storms but driving down the highway or over mountains-ugh- I will be walking behind the bus! LOL. Just kidding I'm sure I'll get used to it. I hope.
I had already put a thousand or so miles on the bus when I had a cruiser-friend drive it around the block to get a feel for it, so I was in the passenger seat. I got pretty worked up too, was sure he was gonna hit the mailboxes etc. but it is how the view from the passenger seat is and it looks "normal" from the drivers seat. Just sit behind the wheel and drive a bit, you'll be okay!

Quote:
It is like getting all the stuff for a boat again. Double everything. Luckily, we had some stuff in storage (my son's house) that we could use.
I'm too ashamed to write here what we spent at the Bed, Bath & Beyond. We had nothing, walked into the store, looked around and then realized that we needed everything

Quote:
Deck Officer-Really nice land yacht! Looks like a real living room. Like the chairs-look real comfy!
Indeed! And it doesn't surprise me anymore that we wanted (and got) the exact same chairs. It was hard to find a bus without the two opposite couches.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. It is helpful to know others can do the land thing too without feeling like they are cheating on he boat.
You must look at it differently: putting the boat on the hard now and then is good for her. She can dry out a bit, save anti-fouling so green too and gets pampered before and after

ciao!
Nick.
Old 11-06-2012, 20:02   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
You must look at it differently: putting the boat on the hard now and then is good for her. She can dry out a bit, save anti-fouling so green too and gets pampered before and after .
Spa time for for boat sounds nice! We are only gone a month so she will stay in the water. Our friend & mechanic down the dock will check on her often. We will shut down the thru-hulls & even empty the refrigerator- which is the only one that usually stays open when we leave for a couple days. Water off. Tanks empty enough. We also have great boat neighbors who will also keep eyes out when they are here. I just hope she doesn't let a family of sea lions move on our dock.

I am also astounded at the amount from BB & B! And we had some things! But gotta have pots & pans, dishes, cutlery, etc. I'm trying to think of it as stimulating the economy. And my sons' future home goods-luckily 2 sons so double works here.

Couches in boats are often similar too. I only care if comfy and that I don't have to worry about changing colors or arrangement. I add a couple pillows & think I'm a decorator. Friends have our same boat a couple years older. It's fun to compare how we use the space. I get great ideas.

Maybe I will try driving. I am quite a control freak so it could help my extreme control freak husband may not be thrilled though!! We followed our friends who have a similar bus & it helped me understand the height & width a bit more. I stopped ducking at underpasses. The windshield is so big and so high it is scary. You have made me feel less like a big baby though. ;smiling: Thanks!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13   #351

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rainy season in Panama:

One of our boat Kiskadee's

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-06-2012, 06:36   #352

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rainy season in Panama:

p.s. I have finally given in and created a facebook account. I found some of you but most not yet, so if you have FB, send me a friend request! My account name is "Nick Vermeulen".

cheers,
Nick.
Old 17-06-2012, 00:55   #353

Ah, Nick, it caught you in the end. (FB) just tried to find you , there are loads of you on FB .
Dave
Holby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 01:11   #354

Boat: too many

You would be surprised how many Nick Vermeulen are on FB. Lucky for me, the FB logic helps by knowing your friends in common and the correct Nick Vermeulen was at the top of the heap.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 19:02   #355

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nothing here, just a bunch of leaves

The two pics above were made with our 70-200mm f/2.8L lens with the Canon 500D close-up filter-lens attached to it. Very cool, no need to carry the macro lens, just a screw-on filter.

Here is the last one for tonight:

This is shot with my new 8-15mm f/4L fisheye lens!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 22-06-2012, 22:26   #356

Ok Nick, now that I've read this thread for a bit I've gotta ask... What's a DSLR. After seeing your photos-I want one! Live he flowers but the insects are amazing. Love them! I would live to show them to my Biology classes. Great photos!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 03:23   #357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g
Ok Nick, now that I've read this thread for a bit I've gotta ask... What's a DSLR. After seeing your photos-I want one! Live he flowers but the insects are amazing. Love them! I would live to show them to my Biology classes. Great photos!!
Thank you for the kind words. We're just amateurs but learning every day

Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._reflex_camera

It is quite involved and costly to get to the insect pics I posted. Think $5k system incl. flash.

Showing at class is easy without the camera; you can get hi-res pics from our site for that for free. If you want to use pics on your website, log or in a book or whatever, you can buy them for very little $$ think a couple dollars for a pic. We, and hundreds of others photographers, sell our pucs at dreamstime.com. You can search the library there.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 23-06-2012, 10:33   #358

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Rainy season in Panama:

p.s. I have finally given in and created a facebook account. I found some of you but most not yet, so if you have FB, send me a friend request! My account name is "Nick Vermeulen".

cheers,
Nick.
there are so many Nick Vermeulen, hard to find you. my FB profile pg is http://www.facebook.com/prashanttrai
please add me if you want. thanks. cheers
Prashantt
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 13:25   #359

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
there are so many Nick Vermeulen, hard to find you. my FB profile pg is http://www.facebook.com/prashanttrai
please add me if you want. thanks. cheers
Prashantt
I don't seem to be able... is that a personal account from you or a "page"? Anyway, to send a friend request to me, try this: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003989684581

cheers,
Nick.
Old 27-06-2012, 13:28   #360

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Getting in a little late on this thread. Anyone doing underwater photography.

http://www.pbase.com/tommy2guns/image/138646630.jpg
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote