Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 05:32   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stuck on an island in Florida
Posts: 264
Any photographers still use film?

Or any that are thinking about going BACK to film?

My Rollieflex has been gathering dust and is harder to use but the images are so much better. Been thinking about getting a new bellows for a 100 year old 4X5 field camera and taking pix with it again.
Does anyone else have any old cameras?
__________________

__________________
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52   #2
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Or any that are thinking about going BACK to film?

My Rollieflex has been gathering dust and is harder to use but the images are so much better. Been thinking about getting a new bellows for a 100 year old 4X5 field camera and taking pix with it again.
Does anyone else have any old cameras?
Got rid of my Voightlander. I believe that if your old film-camera delivers better images, it means you need a better digital camera. Or you're just being nostalgic

When you like medium and large format cameras, you can get digital backs for those too.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Not any more, but only because we have no darkroom onboard. I would still use B&W film if we lived ashore, as long as film/chemistry and papers were available. I absolutely love darkroom work.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54   #4
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,599
Images: 7
Re: Any photographers still use film?

I think the last picture I took with film was in 2003 or early 2004.

I hated retiring my old Canon AE-1, but how can you not love digital photography?
__________________
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:59   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Any photographers still use film?

I've still got lots of Nikon and Canon film equipment, and my kids have had fun playing with it a bit, but I must say digital is the way to go if you are photographing onboard. Much easier to store, sort, share, lots of images, and no problems with them getting ruined by mold, which happened to a lot of slides onboard back in the day. Also, for me, being a professional writer, digital is required. I never know what shot will come in handy for some future article, so it is worth it to have them all digital.

But, I love the aesthetic of film. I was just looking the other day at some 19th century photographs of Indians, and the quality was amazing.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Funny you should ask. Digging thru attic yesterday and foung my Canon AE-1 with Vivitar 70-210 zoom, flash and loads of filters. Invoice from Helix in Chicago for Vivitar 283 flash dated 10-2-86, $59.00.
Hmm Kodak Gold 200 in camera, should get it developed.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20   #7
Registered User
 
Tar34's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 291
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Giga pixel camera 6" at 20,000 ft real time live streaming
DARPA Builds A 1.8-Gigapixel Camera That Can Spot Six-Inch Targets From 20,000 Feet | TechCrunch
__________________
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01   #8
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: Any photographers still use film?

The best slide film ever made, for true daylight colors, WAS Kodachrome ASA (ISO) 25. For print film, I used to use Kodak 100. Kodachrome ceased to exist a few years ago, unfortunately. Print film is still being sold, but will eventually vanish. I still have two Canon cameras saved for posterity; AE-1 and AE-1 Program. Most of my photography was taken of seascapes/landscapes in 40+ countries that I vacationed in. While digital photography is the way to go, Kodachrome 25's super-fine color resolution still beats any digital photography resolution on the market, to this day. (National Geographic magazine, used to shoot, especially formulated Kodachrome ASA 8; this slide film was never available to the public.) Mauritz
__________________
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07   #9
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Any photographers still use film?

In a moment of boredom a few years ago I picked up this and a few spare backs.


Part of my motivation for getting the Hassy was to use it for crossprocessed images. It was a nice idea but other than other than on a weekend trip to Copenhagen I did not try that much.




I prefer my digital gear.
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stuck on an island in Florida
Posts: 264
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think the last picture I took with film was in 2003 or early 2004.

I hated retiring my old Canon AE-1, but how can you not love digital photography?
Um...when I look at film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've still got lots of Nikon and Canon film equipment, and my kids have had fun playing with it a bit, but I must say digital is the way to go if you are photographing onboard. Much easier to store, sort, share, lots of images, and no problems with them getting ruined by mold, which happened to a lot of slides onboard back in the day. Also, for me, being a professional writer, digital is required. I never know what shot will come in handy for some future article, so it is worth it to have them all digital.

But, I love the aesthetic of film. I was just looking the other day at some 19th century photographs of Indians, and the quality was amazing.
Some magazines still want larger format....that's equal to 5 times what digital will show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Funny you should ask. Digging thru attic yesterday and foung my Canon AE-1 with Vivitar 70-210 zoom, flash and loads of filters. Invoice from Helix in Chicago for Vivitar 283 flash dated 10-2-86, $59.00.
Hmm Kodak Gold 200 in camera, should get it developed.
develop it...you'll love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
In a moment of boredom a few years ago I picked up this and a few spare backs.


Part of my motivation for getting the Hassy was to use it for crossprocessed images. It was a nice idea but other than other than on a weekend trip to Copenhagen I did not try that much.




I prefer my digital gear.
DUDE!!! I would love to buy that Hasselblad!!!!
__________________
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Some magazines still want larger format....that's equal to 5 times what digital will show.
Arizona Highways? Very few want film, and none of the ones I regularly write for. But, you can also scan film and get some great images.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stuck on an island in Florida
Posts: 264
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Arizona Highways? Very few want film, ....
BUT SOME still want film...why??? Better images?
__________________
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52   #13
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Or any that are thinking about going BACK to film?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting a full keeler, a sextant and a Sou'Weaster too!!!!!!!

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55   #14
Registered User
 
krafthaus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saskatoon, Canada & Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Lagoon 420
Posts: 409
Re: Any photographers still use film?

I was a holdout to go to digital for a long time and loved my Pentax with 35mm film.

Then I went to point & shoots mostly Panasonic and loved them. They just didn't stand up to the rigors of travel, however, even though I didn't mistreat them - only would last a year or less before image or lens extension problems.

Now I've bought a Canon Rebel T4i (known as 650D outside North America) with an 18-135mm lens and am loving it.

You can buy digital storage for just a little over $1 per GB now. Keep all your pics on a laptop and/or external hard drive and email them anywhere in the world. Saves shelves & shelves of photo albums.

Image quality in my opinion is fantastic, for the size of enlargements I would want anyway.

I can't imagine going back!!
__________________
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:07   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stuck on an island in Florida
Posts: 264
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting a full keeler, a sextant and a Sou'Weaster too!!!!!!!

So, you are getting rid of the 12" Sunfish????When will you larn all that other stuff?
__________________

__________________
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.