Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03   #211

Re: Any Classic Car Enthusiasts on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
No, but at gas approaching $5 a gallon now EVERYONE wants one! LOL!!
LOL

I wish it was that cheap.

Go live where the petrol prices are twice as much and then return to the US when you are used to the prices. Then when you return you will be modifying your Lotus to dump fuel into the exhaust to make flames come out of the back to celebrate the dirt cheap petrol
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:10   #212

Boat: too many

I have a source for dirt cheap "petrol". My vacation residence where I keep my Electric Smart Car has always been plagued with power outages. I put together a 24 Kw/hr battery bank with inverter and solar panels to run the house during blackouts. Instead of having the charge controller even come on, I just charge the EV from the inverter and batteries, so my driving in SoCal is free.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12   #213

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

deckofficer,

On FFCars and ClubCobra ( I posted i2f's passing in the lounge on CC. Limestone on FFCars.
Family owns kssmotorsports in Buford Ga. Check it out. I am currenting building a Marlin Sportster, kit out of UK, on BMW E36 325i underpinnings. Using M54b30 engine DOHC Vanos, out of M3 About 400hp with custom chip.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
deckofficer,

On FFCars and ClubCobra ( I posted i2f's passing in the lounge on CC. Limestone on FFCars.
Family owns kssmotorsports in Buford Ga. Check it out. I am currenting building a Marlin Sportster, kit out of UK, on BMW E36 325i underpinnings. Using M54b30 engine DOHC Vanos, out of M3 About 400hp with custom chip.
pictures and links please.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15   #215

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
pictures and links please.
Will sort some stuff out for you.
Old 03-03-2012, 22:16   #216

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Just to make you happy Wireless here is a Caterham R500 posting a lap time faster than a Veyron on Top Gear... Times recorded by the same driver

Thanks Hoppy!!!! Loved it!! I really admire that video, and one of Top Gears fastest laps! Especially that GREAT driver what can I possible say about "him"? heh heh...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web Ex Stig.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	38265  
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:19   #217

Quote:
I have a source for dirt cheap "petrol". My vacation residence where I keep my Electric Smart Car has always been plagued with power outages. I put together a 24 Kw/hr battery bank with inverter and solar panels to run the house during blackouts. Instead of having the charge controller even come on, I just charge the EV from the inverter and batteries, so my driving in SoCal is free.
THAT is fantastic Bob. Are you total off he grid including your ham rigs and everything? Must be some setup! Share some pics sometime if you get the chance!

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2012, 22:21   #218

This thread makes me miss my car. She'll be classic someday.

2001 Z06
Old 03-03-2012, 22:52   #219

Quote:
THAT is fantastic Bob. Are you total off he grid including your ham rigs and everything? Must be some setup! Share some pics sometime if you get the chance!

Cheers!
If I was off grid I wouldn't have enough solar to get through the day. I set it up for power outages and not having to fire up a noisy generator.

I have done a few off the grid home sites. One for a good friend from India who has 40 acres in the Sierra foothills. He lives at the bottom of a canyon and wanted solar, and I couldn't talk him out of it because he had short daily exposure. Did the solar for him, set up clothes dryer, water heater, stove, oven, reefer, and heat on propane then purchased a 1800 rpm RV propane generator with remote start. That did the job but at a later date dammed his year round creek and built a fish ladder and 8' water wheel. The wheel powered an automotive alternator and since it was a 1200' run to his house, used an inverter and battery at the wheel to step up voltage for the transmission to his home. This also gave him 120 VAC at the swimming hole, and supplied 300 watts, 24/7 to the charger at the house. After that he never needed the RV gen-set again but kept it in case of a very dry season.
Old 04-03-2012, 23:41   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
LOL

I wish it was that cheap.

Go live where the petrol prices are twice as much and then return to the US when you are used to the prices. Then when you return you will be modifying your Lotus to dump fuel into the exhaust to make flames come out of the back to celebrate the dirt cheap petrol
I would LOVE to live where the gas prices are higher. You want to talk local economics? Come over here where health care for me ALONE is $1,800 a month. How much gas will that buy you over there? Then we'll talk cheap gas. At least you live in a civilized country where your tax dollars provide social services besides supporting the great Military Industrial Complex...and our inundation with the propaganda of WHEN and little matter WHERE our NEXT war is going to be. I can't remember when America was NOT at war. Gas prices? Give me a break. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2012, 23:45   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
This thread makes me miss my car. She'll be classic someday.

2001 Z06
Not ONLY a beautiful car...but a BEAUTIFUL photograph!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 23:58   #222

Quote:
If I was off grid I wouldn't have enough solar to get through the day. I set it up for power outages and not having to fire up a noisy generator.

I have done a few off the grid home sites. One for a good friend from India who has 40 acres in the Sierra foothills. He lives at the bottom of a canyon and wanted solar, and I couldn't talk him out of it because he had short daily exposure. Did the solar for him, set up clothes dryer, water heater, stove, oven, reefer, and heat on propane then purchased a 1800 rpm RV propane generator with remote start. That did the job but at a later date dammed his year round creek and built a fish ladder and 8' water wheel. The wheel powered an automotive alternator and since it was a 1200' run to his house, used an inverter and battery at the wheel to step up voltage for the transmission to his home. This also gave him 120 VAC at the swimming hole, and supplied 300 watts, 24/7 to the charger at the house. After that he never needed the RV gen-set again but kept it in case of a very dry season.
That started out as pretty funny, your friend wanting solar at the bottom of a canyon? Geez.... Sounds like he didn't do his location homework right off the bat---but VERY cool how you engineered that. Looks to me like you made the very best of a tough situation. As for me; I'm still on the grid here in East Co. San Diego. We sit at the very top of the mountain in Alpine, with great solar potential, but are still on the grid, though all else, pool heat (solar & optional propane), spa heat, dryer, water heat, cooking, is propane. It's pricey for sure. Would love to engineer a solar system but at my age probably not worth it. Maybe my daughter might see it benefit the cost! Ha!
Old 05-03-2012, 00:21   #223

Quote:
That started out as pretty funny, your friend wanting solar at the bottom of a canyon? Geez.... Sounds like he didn't do his location homework right off the bat---but VERY cool how you engineered that. Looks to me like you made the very best of a tough situation. As for me; I'm still on the grid here in East Co. San Diego. We sit at the very top of the mountain in Alpine, with great solar potential, but are still on the grid, though all else, pool heat (solar & optional propane), spa heat, dryer, water heat, cooking, is propane. It's pricey for sure. Would love to engineer a solar system but at my age probably not worth it. Maybe my daughter might see it benefit the cost! Ha!
It was back in the days of the first CF bulbs. Almost $30 each but set up the entire house and outdoor illumination with them. The guy loved to entertain and would make sure every light was on to show off how well he lived off the grid. Ghetto blaster, blender, and CFs down at the swimming hole to show off the water wheel. Considering how cheap the 40 acres were and how much PG&E quoted to run lines (around $70K), he had no issue with the cost of stand alone energy independence for his retreat. This was right at the beginning of cell service so no coverage at all in that canyon. I ran a UHF link using a high gain yagi beam up to a business in town about 5 nm away.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1

I would LOVE to live where the gas prices are higher. You want to talk local economics? Come over here where health care for me ALONE is $1,800 a month. How much gas will that buy you over there? Then we'll talk cheap gas. At least you live in a civilized country where your tax dollars provide social services besides supporting the great Military Industrial Complex...and our inundation with the propaganda of WHEN and little matter WHERE our NEXT war is going to be. I can't remember when America was NOT at war. Gas prices? Give me a break. Thank you.
Swings and roundabouts. I loose a total of 45% of my salary in taxes. If my salary increases I will lose something like 70% of any increase. Then when I spend my money here 25% goes in VAT

Sure we have a nice social system, but those of us who are earning pay through the nose so that others can enjoy the benefits. There are lot of people enjoying a free ride here.

At least you have some discretion about what you do with your money.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59   #225

I should say that my point is that it is price conditioning and not genuine economic hardship that drives people to buy a new Econobox for the people who can afford a new Econobox.

Obviously for the people who can't afford a yacht and a flash car, then petrol price rises become an economic hardship.