Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01   #226

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Any Classic Car Enthusiasts on Board ?

I own a 1985 P car. I'd up load a photo but I've got insertaphobia. Don't know how.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01   #227

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I should say that my point is that it is price conditioning and not genuine economic hardship that drives people to buy a new Econobox for the people who can afford a new Econobox.

Obviously for the people who can't afford a yacht and a flash car, then petrol price rises become an economic hardship.

AGREED! And lets not forget the dramatic increase in health care as well!

I can remember graduating from High School wondering how in the heck I was going going to pay $.79/gallon...cuz that was $8.00 to fill it up. Now we have a Tahoe (to get sailing stuff to and from the boat....plus passengers as the daughters 'sign them up') and now it is $80.00 to fill her up!

And for those of us that don't get a new vehicle every year have seen that even the prices of auto parts have sky rocketed! As much as I would love to fix up an classic vehicle, and that would be a CJ-7 for me, I think I would have to sell something off to do it!

That is okay though...I have enough 'hobbies' to keep me busy! But thanks for another great post DeckOfficer....I do love to dream!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35   #228

I would think that the most economical way to drive if you don't drive much would be having a classic satying away fro depreciation and maybe having appreciation with the right car, but I sold mine...

I was a car nut and really got away from collecting cars about ten years ago. I was very lucky while in the Army being stationed in Heidelberg and living in Hockenhiem, Gy. I met a guy whose father-in-law was the manager of the Hockenheim Ring (race track) and he raced GP and got me involved in driving as well. I use to race autocross and rallies here and took some "tricks" with me to Germany. I ran Formula V and Super V and 2 litere seadan/GTs, (Fords, BMW and 911/912s) I was never rated to get to the big stuff.

Fastest car driven was a Ford GT 40, it was a beast. In Hockenheim the local police looked the other way then when we took a car out on the streets, they knew it was us. And we took some great cars out. Owners would leave cars with my buddy for repairs and we would have to road test them....

My own cars were the 4 banger two seaters with a few larger ones. In the old days I'd trade often, drive it, polish it and sell it, so I went through alot of cars. If I could have any of my old ones back I guess I'd want the XK 120 back, it over heated after a few miles. But I'd take any of them back, my old Bug Eye was a ball to drive, not fast but fun.

My last one (sold two years ago) was my Miata and miss it too. I'm now in a Subaru, not so much fun, but when I get the need for speed, I get on my bike.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20   #229

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I would think that the most economical way to drive if you don't drive much would be having a classic satying away fro depreciation and maybe having appreciation with the right car, but I sold mine...

I was a car nut and really got away from collecting cars about ten years ago. I was very lucky while in the Army being stationed in Heidelberg and living in Hockenhiem, Gy. I met a guy whose father-in-law was the manager of the Hockenheim Ring (race track) and he raced GP and got me involved in driving as well. I use to race autocross and rallies here and took some "tricks" with me to Germany. I ran Formula V and Super V and 2 litere seadan/GTs, (Fords, BMW and 911/912s) I was never rated to get to the big stuff.

Fastest car driven was a Ford GT 40, it was a beast. In Hockenheim the local police looked the other way then when we took a car out on the streets, they knew it was us. And we took some great cars out. Owners would leave cars with my buddy for repairs and we would have to road test them....

My own cars were the 4 banger two seaters with a few larger ones. In the old days I'd trade often, drive it, polish it and sell it, so I went through alot of cars. If I could have any of my old ones back I guess I'd want the XK 120 back, it over heated after a few miles. But I'd take any of them back, my old Bug Eye was a ball to drive, not fast but fun.

My last one (sold two years ago) was my Miata and miss it too. I'm now in a Subaru, not so much fun, but when I get the need for speed, I get on my bike.
Bring back good memories?

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36   #230

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

289, 302 or 427? No Gurney bump ?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47   #231

Boat: 33ft sloop

Is that the real deal or a replica? Looks too good to be an original.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
289, 302 or 427? No Gurney bump ?
No bubble for your head. 351W based aluminum block, bored and stroked to 427 cid.

Replica
Old 05-03-2012, 14:14   #233

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Following a thread on ClubCobra about Aurora Motorcars, a Canadian company that between 1980 and 1983 built 170, '65 Shelby Cobra replicas.
Apparently the fiberglass bodies were built at C & C custom division at Port Credit Ontario.
Old 20-03-2012, 17:30   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Found this today, you may enjoy, about Pagani.

The Pagani Huayra story. [VIDEO]

Coops.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:01   #235

Coops, a bit out of my price range though I would consider a $1000 for a day at the track with one. Top speed was 225 mph, and I like the active but independent aero system. Probably only effective at track speeds, so on US highways would not deploy. My CTS-V with the active magnetic ride control works quite well at all speeds in a corner.
Old 20-03-2012, 19:59   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Only a BIT, it's WELL out of my price range. Just liked the film, and some of the cool ideas. Have no desire to own one.

Coops.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:49   #237

Before buying my yacht I was seriously looking at buying a mid 80's 911 and getting it rebuilt as a recreation of a 73 911 Carrera RSR 2.8. Still would be a fun thing to have one day.

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 23:28   #238

After all these great stills of cars, maybe you can dig up some video of your rides strutting their stuff. In the mountain community that I live near, this is rather typical, 45 mph on the two lane parts, speeding up to 65+ entering the beginning of the passing lane, staying in the left lane and nobody gets to pass anyone. At 8000', just because they are wide open, they assume nobody will be able to pass. WRONG. Noisy camera mount.

Old 06-04-2012, 23:38   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Just a Sunday Morning Drive...in a Ferrari

Be sure to turn on your SOUND

Ferrari Shell Commercial High Quality - YouTube
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 00:15   #240

Whilst on the topic of great Ferrari sound tracks to videos

I always thought that it was filmed using a Ferrari 275GTB but upon reading about it again it seems not. Seems like the Ferrari sound is dubbed. Still sounds great and is totally insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C'était_un_rendez-vous