Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 14:37   #421
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You've earned my vote for the best post in this thread. Thank you.
Seconded
__________________

__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 14:51   #422
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I didn't particularly care for the film, but whether you liked it or not, it has generated 29 pages of discussions.
__________________

__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 15:06   #423
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post

I good friend that was a former Navy SEAL told me once 4 SEALs died parachuting into heavy seas off of Grenada which is a situation they train for on a regular basis.
hshit. I know teamers who were on URGENT FURY. That was not a normal go training condition. They pushed back from calm conditions to later but badass weather prevailed. But, they went anyway. Urgency demanded it.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 15:26   #424
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: www.USCGMaster.com
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,881
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A couple of friends here have watched the movie (non sailors) and are now convinced I'll die on this delivery..
Previously they were oh so envious of my life..


As a captive of Delta Airlines for 10+ hours (FCO-ATL) I decided to watch the movie and yes the character made a bunch of errors. I counted 6 or 7 .... But it is a movie!

I think Boatie's post captures what upsets so many on this forum, the series of errors made by the character makes things look worse.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:42   #425
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I sat down and watched the movie yesterday. My wife, who basically lives on the boat while I sail it, sat down next to me. She saw so many errors that in 5 minutes she got up and walked out on it. Now if someone who refuses to steer the boat in all but flat water can see the mistakes, what does that say about the film?
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 21:20   #426
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I sat down and watched the movie yesterday. My wife, who basically lives on the boat while I sail it, sat down next to me. She saw so many errors that in 5 minutes she got up and walked out on it. Now if someone who refuses to steer the boat in all but flat water can see the mistakes, what does that say about the film?

I wondering why she walked out but you stayed?
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 21:30   #427
Registered User
 
autumnbreeze27's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cruising Mexico
Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 967
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

All I know is I was hanging upside down working on my bilge pumps last weekend and a few times felt like ALL WAS LOST.
__________________
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:50   #428
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
hshit. I know teamers who were on URGENT FURY. That was not a normal go training condition. They pushed back from calm conditions to later but badass weather prevailed. But, they went anyway. Urgency demanded it.
My sister in laws father was one of those dead teamers. I know what happened, I know every squid that survived that mission because I was trained by two of them when I was was a USN EOD Diver eleven years later.

I'm no SEAL and I would not use this as an example if it was not relevant. Divers are trained to swim in those conditions. I have the manual I was given that was printed many years prior to Urgent Fury sitting 12 inches from my head now.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 00:32   #429
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
My sister in laws father was one of those dead teamers. I know what happened, I know every squid that survived that mission because I was trained by two of them when I was was a USN EOD Diver eleven years later.

I'm no SEAL and I would not use this as an example if it was not relevant. Divers are trained to swim in those conditions. I have the manual I was given that was printed many years prior to Urgent Fury sitting 12 inches from my head now.
I'm sure this argument is relevant to the movie but I'm struggling to connect the dots. How about one of you helping me out.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 01:06   #430
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm sure this argument is relevant to the movie but I'm struggling to connect the dots. How about one of you helping me out.
The reason I posted to begin with was because I was annoyed over people posting the woulda shoulda coulda about the movie. So I decided to give a perspective from having actually scuttled a boat at sea. Since having been someone unlucky enough to have to jump into a life raft once. I actually found the movie quiet believable.

I was making several comparisons in a post to what it's like to bail off a sinking vessel. I used comparisons to show knowledge and know how don't always guarantee your actual reaction. I was responding to a posters comment who decided to say he knew people in one of those comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver
I've done a lot of solo sailing myself,. And while your thoughts and observations are absolutely valid and smart they are slightly unfounded.

What about a ditch bag? why did he fall asleep with his life raft tied to the sinking boat? Cushion to plug a hole.?

I've never sank a boat far offshore but I once was on a boat that sank 10 miles outside the Beaufort NC inlet and we could not tack weld a steel plate to the above the water line hole because every time a wave hit it blew the 3-1/4in steel sheet back into the engine room. I was a trained underwater welder and long time saturation diver at the time so experiance was on my side and I still could not beat the sea with many hands helping me.

I did not think once to put my survival suit on in winter because I was on a sinking boat and at that was my job at the time. Forget food, water or anything. A million things are going through your mind because you know you're dead somewhere deep down. We all ended up surviving out of luck. One of the guys jumped into the life raft jump feet first and went straight through the bottom of her. And all I could think was oh **** we are sinking with dead fish on the boat.

Calling for help on a sinking boat is about the last thing that occurs in your mind because mostly your in disbelief it's happing. And calling for help feels like you're giving up and signing your own death certificate because givin the right conditions you know you won't be found. I remember yelling grab the EPIRB more than 20 times and we landed in the raft without it.

He represents IMHO the majority of people in that situation. Look at the Captain of the Bounty for example and the testimonies, It was not the first Hurricane he took that boat through and look at the amount of poor decisions he made and probably made in all storms before where they came out lucky.

I like how they directed the Movie. The woulda, shoulda, coulda is the same way people would evaluate you're situation if god forbid you ever had to face that.

While I never had to abandon ship 100's of miles at sea I can tell you after doing it no matter what training you have and ideas you have it's way different in real life. When I was in sat school I had to complete a helicopter crash escape course and two of my classmates that took the course with me died in a actual at sea helo ditching at a low altitude which is exactly what we were trained for.

The mind is a funny thing and you don't know what you'll do until you actually face that situation. Everyday I sail I still roll over that memory of woulda shoulda coulda in my past and I know in the end we were all just lucky. That's how it all happens most of the time when you're in a rescue situation.

I even used to picture how I'd get in a lift basket in heavy seas and was trained to do it. Every time a roller with a white cape hit me I was another 60 yards away. Opps I forgot to duck dive because I was actually struggling for my life this time. I was a former Navy Salvage and EOD diver. I've had actually been plucked by basket several times in my career.

I good friend that was a former Navy SEAL told me once 4 SEALs died parachuting into heavy seas off of Grenada which is a situation they train for on a regular basis.

My point is you don't know what you'll do when in the real deal. His mistakes actually made the movie believable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
hshit. I know teamers who were on URGENT FURY. That was not a normal go training condition. They pushed back from calm conditions to later but badass weather prevailed. But, they went anyway. Urgency demanded it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
My sister in laws father was one of those dead teamers. I know what happened, I know every squid that survived that mission because I was trained by two of them when I was was a USN EOD Diver eleven years later.

I'm no SEAL and I would not use this as an example if it was not relevant. Divers are trained to swim in those conditions. I have the manual I was given that was printed many years prior to Urgent Fury sitting 12 inches from my head now.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:28   #431
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
The reason I posted to begin with was because I was annoyed over people posting the woulda shoulda coulda about the movie. So I decided to give a perspective from having actually scuttled a boat at sea. Since having been someone unlucky enough to have to jump into a life raft once. I actually found the movie quiet believable.

I was making several comparisons in a post to what it's like to bail off a sinking vessel. I used comparisons to show knowledge and know how don't always guarantee your actual reaction. I was responding to a posters comment who decided to say he knew people in one of those comparisons.
You've made your points well and they have a ring of credibility backed by real experiences.
Beats hell out of armchair critics who think they know how they'd behave in those conditions.
Thanks for giving us the reality of that real life perspective.

We haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm sure that seeing it with your perspective in mind will add to our enjoyment.

Vic
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:38   #432
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Exclamation Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
My sister in laws father was one of those dead teamers. I know what happened, I know every squid that survived that mission because I was trained by two of them when I was was a USN EOD Diver eleven years later.

I'm no SEAL and I would not use this as an example if it was not relevant. Divers are trained to swim in those conditions. I have the manual I was given that was printed many years prior to Urgent Fury sitting 12 inches from my head now.
This post has infuriated me by it's reckless flaunts, and I will not be silent or let it pass kindly.

I will re-state what I responded to your first private message - more or less.

I have a personal opinion and anger about what happened and the decisions under URGENT FURY, which I will not go into other than to say I also have connections. It will never waver or be displaced.

Regardless of how I feel, their world was their world, and any misjudgments or judgements were in history. They went and performed their duty. Though I will always be angry, I cannot criticize. I know this. I was not there.

I'm also angry that I got suckered into responding to the original post here. I should have remained silent than be incited to react in some public forum.

But let me be very clear to you:

I do not care one flying F. about who you say you know, who you say you trained with, who you say you are related to, or which collector item sit on your bookcase. I don't give a rats ass about who you are, your experience in the Navy, or anything you have to say related to team members.

You weren't there. Period. You have earned no right to compare. You are just as guilty of arm chairing as anyone else.

Anyone who flaunts and brags their relationships, bringing up pointless comparisons in a thread about a valueless Hollywood movie, marginalizes the ethos and "silent service" of those who perished and were there. Any unearned comparison can only bring attention on oneself. Maybe that was your real point. I don't know, but I will not let it pass. I will not.

We should respect the memory of those teamers and the duty they served by not associating their good names in cheap comparisons online. Anything wavering I call treason.

Regards

SaltyMonkey
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:53   #433
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

What looks like the point of the film... this man has lost everything and is simply sailing off into the sunset to end his woes. It is not a sailor training film.
__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:01   #434
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Look at the movie as entertainment value and just enjoy !!!! Too many critics here.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:31   #435
Registered User
 
Captaintim1's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Boat: Island Packet 27
Posts: 82
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I've heard references to All is Lost...Captain Ron...and Pirates of the Caribbean. They are all entertaining to those who don't sail. They can also motivate people to think about the sea and sailing. Years ago when I watched Captain Ron, I started dreaming about sailing and really looking into it and learning all I could. I must have watched it 20 times. Real or not... I'm sitting in the cabin of my sloop writing this...so all is not lost....
__________________

__________________
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost, movie

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.